MSE Article discussion: Mobile Phone Insurance

Options

Comments

• sabsharpe
    sabsharpe Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Bozo,

Currently looking into insurance for iPhone... My friend recommends switched on. She dropped her phone and the screen smashed. Water then got into the cracks so then also had water damage... Claim process took about a week - had to call and make a claim, pay excess, received a confirmation email and address to send the phone to with print out of the email. Only downside was that she had to cover the postage. New/reconditioned phone was posted back to her and the whole process was about a week in total.
    Looking like the best option at the moment coupled with what you have pointed out about the wording on some of the other policies.
    Having been a regular user of the underground I can't believe that pickpocketing can be excluded from a policy! When you're crammed in like sardines on the Victoria line at rush hour you'd have to have your phone down your pants in order to have it out of reach of potential pickpockets!

Looked at the website and it looked GREAT but yet again when you check FeeFo feeback there seem to be lots of people complaining and the people who rated 5/5 have rated the website and NOT the claims process.

I never thought it would be THIS hard to find a genuine insurer especially when they are DEFAQTO 5 Star rated.

I work for a company that does certain global phone repair and the other complication is insurance companies often use non-genuine parts meaning if your phone then develops a manufacturer default you are no longer covered for that!!!
  • Defect
    Defect Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I upgraded to an iPhone7 Plus with EE Directly over the phone by calling 150 from my handset and at the time I took insurance out with EE to protect it. Today 7 months later i called to make a claim to be told that i wasnt insured. Even though i had paid £12 per month since November my IMEI number wasnt on the insurance information and therefore I wasnt covered.

I tried to explain to the advisor that there was a charge for £12 on every bill since November for insurance thinking that might prompt the advisor to think that the phone must be covered as I have been paying for it on every bill !!

To my utter shock I was passed to 5 different advisors before finally passing me to a company called Lifestyle Services Group who said they would listen to my call to let me know the outcome??
    I am trying to understand what they are looking to listen for? Do they think I would perhaps suggest a donation of £12 and I don’t want insurance??? Or what??? Im looking forward to the outcome of what they hear.

I asked if they could cancel my insurance so I could save £12 a month as my phone wasn’t covered anyway and they advised that I had to call EE back to cancel as they could only deal with complains !!!

Can anyone recommend a genuine mobile phone insurance company to protect my iPhone 7 plus ?
  • williyam
    Options
    Hi,

I took out mobile insurance with MobileInsurance.co.uk last year. I was expecting to get a quote for renewal but hadn't. I checked today to see what the status of my account was and got a This Site is Currently Under Maintenance message.

Does anyone know about the status of this company, if perhaps they've gone bust and if so when?

Many thanks
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone tried https://www.multigadget.insure/insurance/family-gadget-insurance/ to cover a family's phones? Looks like it would cover multiple devices for £110 per year, if they are worth £1500 in total. So that could be four phones each worth £375. Or £134.50 for up to £2000, which is 4x£500.

This is potentially cheaper than the Nationwide Flex Plus account, if you don't need the travel insurance and breakdown cover.
    koru
  • JamesJoyceBand
    Options
    I have just signed up for mobile phone insurance with Insurance2go. All looks good but just watch for the automatic renewal each year unless you either cancel or tell them not to renew. Just be aware, they don't flag it up among the benefits.
  • andyste
    Options
    After having insurance with Insurance 2 Go for just over 6 months, I've received an email informing me that the monthly fee will rise from £7.49 to £9.99 per month starting in October.

This price change doesn't appear to have been reflected on their website yet.
  • mercuteio
    Options
    Hi there,

I was just looking at the mobile phone insurance guide today, and noticed that the recommended insurer only insures if a phone has been bought within the last 6 months. But there doesn't appear to be any recommendation for phones that are older than this?

I bought an iPhone 6 about 5 years ago, and have so far had insurance with my bank. But the excess is pretty high, so was looking into other options and . . . it doesn't look like there are any, apart from the mobile phone providers or home insurance policies.

Have I understood this correctly? And does anyone have any recommendations?

And is there a way of contacting MSE to let them know that I think putting a recommendation for phones that were bought over 6 months ago may be helpful to other users reading their mobile insurance page?

Thanks a lot!
  • Lkmcd91
    Lkmcd91 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Do not take out the phone insurance with affordable mobiles! Absolute rip off, far from affordable! I paid £161.82 at £8.99 monthly for the last 18 months have never claimed before. 18 months later my iPhone 7 gets a crack in the screen and they charge an extortionate amount of £75 excess to fix the screen!! For the company to respond with, that’s the policy, even though I never signed one originally, the first month came free when I purchased my contract phone then i did not cancel. My previous phone insurance provider who I was with for 3 years provided me with a new phone when I lost it for only £50 now this company charge £75 excess to fix a IPHONE 7 screen! What a joke! What a con this insurance company is!! Avoid!!
  • DR21
    DR21 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    My wife bought me an iPhone from the states for xmas 2017. I was insured with Insureandgo just cancelled renewal as it doesn't cover phones bought abroad.

having difficulty finding insurance for my iPhone xs as now 19months old.

anyone have ideas or recommendations
  • manue1970
    manue1970 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

Little question for you…My son broke the screen of his Samsung S8 phone last night and I have no insurance :
    I have a platinum account with Natwest and I have just found out I can claim with it but ONLY if the phone is used by me.
    His phone is link to my EE account as he is only 13 and I am paying for him.
    I have gone now to do a claim but it is asking for my phone number but also the number associated to the broken mobile phone.
    My worry now is that they will refuse the claim if I put my son number. If I put mine will they be able to trace which number is used on the broken phone?
    I have received the proof of purchase from EE showing the IMEI number, my name and my phone number.
    Should I put my phone number for both?
    Many Thanks
    Emmanuelle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family