Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 21 November 2018 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Afternoon update: this work is *so* tedious!! So I'm enjoying a cup of tea and a biccie and have put the heating on as it was rather chilly (hall thermostat says 12 degrees!) - I wasn't particularly cold with two jumpers on, but I don't want to end up as cold as yesterday. Currently I have a furry thing sitting on me too. :D

Have managed a PC survey and a SBs survey too. Have ordered part of thank-you present for car friends and just sorting out the other part now. No inclination to return to my work.... but needs must!

ETA Furry thing has decided sitting next to the radiator is better!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

Still working on this annoying project, but hey ho, it's money. Another project has arrived too, so that'll keep me busy when this is eventually finished.

Yesterday was a bit of a write-off. I did a bit of work first thing in the morning, but then met up with a friend I haven't seen in ages. We had a great natter. Then I made the mistake of 'popping' round to mum's, where I remained until I hit the rush hour traffic :eek: I'm blaming the weather - I just didn't want to go outside and head home to my work. We did at least have hm pizza for tea, so that was on track.

We're seeing friends on Sunday and DH's family as it's his birthday next week, so should be an enjoyable weekend. Doing a bit of volunteering tomorrow and will take Dad to see Nan.

MS things:
    * I did get my clicks etc. done before I went out
    * HM pizza
    * Will make biscuits as a gift for friends on Sunday

Gratitudes:
    * A good catch up with my friend yesterday
    * Hot oak-smoked salmon sarnies at Mum's - not the usual tuna mayo :) - very luxurious!
    * Quality conversational time with DH yesterday evening

Have a good day all - I'll be glad when this work project is finished!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Afternoon all,

It's been a busy but lovely few days. Our weekend included a walk, seeing friends and family, a bit of volunteering (me) and brewing (DH). A great combination. Yesterday we headed into London to see Dave Gorman, which was DH's Christmas present from me last year.

Today, having just managed to get all my work done before we went out yesterday, I'm having a quiet day. The weather is miserable and it was a late night, so just taking it gently. I've got some post to post for the survey and I need to get some eggs, so will walk over the road in a bit.

One of the hoodies I bought for DH on ebay has arrived and I'm very unimpressed - it's all very bobbled and worn and definitely not worth the £7.50 I paid for it (it was listed at £9.99!). Have requested a return (which they don't accept, so I'll see what they say). The one I bought for £1.50 was *much* better quality!

MS things:
    * Got 61p off drinks last night with the ICE card thing (that Martin had an offer on in the newsletter months ago) - that's the first time that's happened!
    * Parked not in station car park to get cheaper parking - 10 minute walk wasn't an issue.
    * Clicks etc. all done
    * DH has work Christmas dinner today (on his birthday), so easy tea tonight for both of us
    * Should win a BNWOT shirt for DH on Ebay - getting the hang of this now (even if I don't get a refund from seller for hoodie, it was 2 for £15 inc. postage that I won last week - can't complain about that).
    * RM survey sent me 12 1st Christmas stamps as a Christmas thank you (on top of normal incentive)

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely to see friends and family
    * Enjoyed the volunteering (and was only 1.5 hrs, so nice and straightforward)
    * Great visit to see Nan with Dad - she was up, out, dressed, relatively with it :)

Have a good afternoon all!

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

I've just put the last of last year's tax rebate/pension savings in the appropriate pots - half to pension and half to LISA. I'm glad I've made the decision, even if I don't like not being able to get at the money!

Have also cashed out on PA - it was at £22.73, so not quite the £25 I like to reach, but it's been quiet for a few days and I imagine academics are winding down now until the new year, so I'd rather have the money in my account. Have just earned a few pennies on OP. I still need to get to £40 before I can cash out. At £23.95 at the moment. I think I need to focus on this - at least between now and Christmas.

Work is quiet again today (thing in the pipeline, just not here yet), so I'm going to pop out and get various jobs done. DH is at a work thing in London where a buffet dinner is provided, so he's hanging about for that and I've got a portion of lentil bolognese out of the freezer - really looking forward to it too! :)

My cc bill arrived yesterday - £833!! It's got vets visits and combined Christmas/birthday present accommodation for both fathers on it, so it's not surprising, but there are a fair few other expenses that while nice, were not frugal (hotel in New Forest, meal out while there etc.).

MS things:
    * YG survey
    * PA cash out
    * Clicks etc. done. SBs refunded my £10 *bucks voucher for some reason, so I've tried for a National Trust one - we'll see if they can manage that this time around.

Gratitudes:
    * Good evening class last night
    * 23 days until the nights start getting shorter again!
    * Oranges - friend gave us a couple at the weekend - I love their tropical flavour (we rarely have them as not exactly easy to eat!)

Have a good day all!

• themadvix
    Options
    Afternoon all,

We had a good weekend, although it didn't involve doing much - except a loong walk yesterday (followed promptly by a lengthy nap! (for me, DH was working on the car).

Last night we applied for a new mortgage with Santandur (who we're with already) - fingers crossed we can move straight onto the 1.99% fix - a saving of 1% and £60ish/month!!

Today I've done my invoicing, pay day and money shuffles. And read the meters.... I feel I'm all up to date now. Even managed to pay off CC bill and find some money for savings (not a lot, but I feel I shouldered the majority of spending between DH and I last month).

MS things:
    * £1.63 TCB claimed
    * Clicks etc. done
    * £10 NT voucher from SBs :) (feels much more ethical than *bucks credit)
    * RM survey stuff posted and up to date
    * S&S done but keep forgetting to submit nothing bought for FOTG
    * Refund for dubious quality ebay purchase came through
    * DH's ebay shirt arrived and is good

Gratitudes:
    * Lots of fresh air and exercise yesterday
    * 2-day working week as we're off to Vienna on Weds!
    * Faster payments - wouldn't money shuffles be a nightmare if we didn't have such a thing?

Have a good afternoon all!

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That’s a great saving on the mortgage to come! Hope you have a fantastic festive time in Vienna :xmastree:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks NewGirly - it's been a long 5 years on the stupid 2.99%! :eek:

I'm looking forward to three days of gluhwein and pretzels and strudel :) Hopefully we won't spend too much as I've planned homemade gifts for most of the people we buy bits for usually. And the hotel and breakfast is almost all covered by the Expedia voucher from switching to FD :T

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

Just a quick post before I get on with my work. I've done some but am procrastinating about another project. Fortunately/unfortunately there's no particular rush - at least if I've started it before we go away I'll feel better about it!

We signed off on the mortgage agreement last night. I need to pop a cheque for the fee (£225) in the post at some point, but it doesn't seem to be added to the loan in an interest-bearing way, so there's no particular rush. We felt terribly rash/grown up switching without a mortgage adviser, but for a 2-year cheaper switch with our current lender it seemed safe enough!

Fridge is more or less empty, so nothing wasted there while we're away. Cats are being looked after by BIL and GF. Had a chat with them at the weekend and they seemed more than happy, so am relieved that they don't seem to think we're taking the mickey. Obviously we'll look after their house while their away and we do get them something/give them some money, but still, we seem to have been away for the odd night a lot recently! Got the currency a few weeks ago and we have a couple of options for paying with cc without incurring fees, so should be okay there. Ryanair have had as little of our money as possible and by sheer good luck DH and I are sitting next to each other on the flight out.

MS things:
    * Clicks etc.
    * Hm pizza last night to use up pizza sauce
    * Daal tonight - cheap, tasty and easy
    * No veg box or milk this week

Gratitudes:
    * Didn't have to go to Guide shop last night - friend offered to do it instead
    * Beautiful frost this morning (and glad I didn't have to go out in it!)
    * Let the cats out for a quick run around before breakfast and ginger cat upset some crows - was entertaining watching ginger being scared back into the house by them!

Have a good day all!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Vienna is really getting going! Have a brilliant time over there - and what a good idea to do a little bit of work on the new project beforehand, even if you haven't done the majority, at least its more of a known quantity.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    So true about work being a known quantity - that sums it up perfectly! I did make a brief start yesterday, so it's already there in my mind. Unfortunately having seen it, it's going to be as much of a swine as I expected it to be!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback