PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

False economy (merged threads)

Comments

• Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ms_Thrift wrote:
    I know it's a bit late for you now Lucie, but you can use coffee as a body scrub - really wakes you up in the morning, and is allegedly good for cellulite. For about 1 cup of ground coffee, add 6 tablespoons of oil (I use half olive and half sweet almond) and mix it up. I also add peppermint essential oil so the coffee smell isn't too overpowering.

Cheers Ms_Thrift - it's only sat in the top of the bin, so I will fish it out tonight when I get home!
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    have you tried mixing a bit of "crap brand" in with "good brand"? Saves wasting so much of the crappy coffee and makes the good fcoffee go further
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lucie wrote:
    Cheap Coffee.
    We only drink "proper" coffee at home, not instant & I have tried endless brands in my search for a perfect cup of coffee.
    Just yesterday I threw away a pack of Ikea coffee (£1.25) with only 2 spoonfulls used & went out & bought a new tin of Illy (£3.99). The Ikea stuff was pretty grim.

I love the ikea stuff, stock up on it on my rare trips there. My bag of co-op fair trade coffee (ground not instant) seems like it will last me a week, its much nicer and I drink less of it than instant.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • We to only use proper coffe......currently using columbian coffee from Aldi @ 89p per 250 grms and can't tell difference from more expensive premium coffee, even their Alcafe premium roast instant is not to bad.
  • mrsmab59
    mrsmab59 Posts: 166 Forumite
    tiff wrote:
    Sorry that this has gone way off topic, but do you just give them the dried food and water and thats it? I will have to mix in with tinned food to start with. Where is the best place to buy it?
    The dried food is a complete dog food so as long as your dog will eat it they'll have everything they need for a healthy diet...along with lots of water.
    I buy mine from a pet superstore because they have better special offers and larger sacks of food than supermarkets...the larger sacks work out cheaper per kg :)
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Thanks Mrs Mab, will buy a smaller one to start with and see how it goes. Thanks for your help.:)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tiff wrote:
    Thanks Mrs Mab, will buy a smaller one to start with and see how it goes. Thanks for your help.:)

What breed and age is he tiff?

Also, before you go and buy anything ask for some samples to try first. Most of the larger pet store type places, and feed merchants, will have sample bags left by the manufacturers (if the staff haven't taken them all home :rolleyes:) but often some places that sell dry food loose by weight (i.e. smaller pet shops/markets etc) will be willing to give you a small amount to try first :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    He is a cross breed, aged 12 but very lively. I just thought if dry food is easier to digest then I should give him that, maybe he is too old to change. I do have a sample of a freebie that I sent for, will try and mix that in with his food first and see how we go.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    At his age sudden dietry changes can be harmful and I think you really need to speak to your vet, or even one of the nurses, before doing anything as they will know his history and would be able to advise you better.

It would also depend on the state of his teeth as to whether he could manage a dry diet. If he's only ever been fed meat then he may well have tooth/gum problems (unless he chews a lot of bones/hides etc) that would make it difficult for him to cope with biscuits.

It would be worth finding out if your vets run a dietry clinic (usually managed by the nurses) as these are often free or only charge a minimal fee, otherwise wait till his next check-up and have a word with the vet :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    JCL wrote:
    I wouldn't agree with that. Had a Bush television and Goodmans VCR that have done me well for years. I agree that in some circumstances you pay for a bit of extra quality but a lot of the time you're simply paying for the brand name.

i have to agree with you jcl. we also have a goodmans telly that was given to us 5 years ago and it was old then, it works very well indeed! whereas we have a sony stereo with a 3 cd changer that started falling apart within months of purchase!

also about the doc martens... i'd normally be inclined to agree but i have a pair of the patented leather variety and have only been wearing them for 6 months, they are cracked all the way down to the inside, coming apart at the soles and the boot strap on one has come off! i'm very displeased with this and will be writing a letter of complaint very soon, they aren't cheap :mad:
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure