PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

False economy (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    I recently shopped for some sealant to do a very small repair in my bathroom. Looking around the shelves I saw a pack of sealant of ten grams for £1.50 something, yet a much larger one for only £2.30 something.

I was recently in the same situation, whereby I ended up paying more for aquarium sealant in a small tube, because my earlier attempts at cutting costs by buying the big tubes had resulted in it turning solid before I used it all :(
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    There was a thread on this subject quite recently. Squeaky - might it be worth merging the two?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=38327
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    So where have you realised that you almost, or did, fall for a false economy?

Ninety nine percent of what I buy is false economy. Luckily my husband does the 'real shopping' :D

But as for tiles and sealants etc, can't you have a word with a local plumber? (I know plumbers cost the earth but they waste so much that I'm sure a bit given away wouldn't hurt them. Might even enhance their reputation?)

Back to false economy - sorry :o

I've cancelled all magazines etc (a fair amount of money btw), and not missed them, so I can't see the sense in ever buying them again. :)
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Todays very false economy.

Went to Morrisons with shopping list estimated at £16.19 out of allowance of £17 for the week. Cheaper than expected Satsuma's. Banana's had gone up 10p a bag but found a bag with 13 and another with 12 so only needed two bags not three. Now have over £2 to play with. I now spot sliced chicken breast on BOGOF so buy 2 (1 goes in freezer). Next to it are gammon round steaks on BOGOTH. I actually have 2 on my shopping list so buy 4 (3 go in freezer). Next to this is Tiger prawns on BOGOF at 1.49. Have prawns at 99p on shopping list (for daughter) and these are 1.49 for better prawns so buy 2 (one for freezer for next week so still a saving).

After paying I realize I'm over budget by nearly £2. Huh. Tiger prawns aren't a BOGOG but on offer at 1.49 so are simply dearer I go back to offers stand. First two have BOGOF in big writing, prawns are 'offer' in small writing. Poop.
    My fault so can't complain. Guess even commited MSE'ers get carried away occasionally.

So I get home. Daughter strolls in and spots the banana's and promptly eats two. She thought they were a bit smaller than usual and so she needed extra. I guess today was a day where I just wasn't going to win.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to buy cheap tesco value loo paper, it did work out cheaper - because even though we got through lots of rolls of the stuff, I still spent less per month than would have done with Andrex etc.
    But then we went to stay with some friends in Germany, they had wonderful loo paper - very thick, padded & quilted stuff & I thought, well they can afford to buy this expensive stuff. Then I went shopping with her: she bought this stuff in Lidl, really cheap! So when we came home, I looked in Lidl in England. Guess what, its really cheap here, too.
    So now we also have really soft posh-looking loo paper, but at value price.
    I think that's the best of both worlds!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to be absolutely loyal to Andrex no matter what the price, I bought it but about a year ago I suddenly noticed it just wasn't as good any more so did my daughter. I now but the best of what I find around, haven't tried Lidl's yet although I'm a fan of the store someone in a much earlier thread recommended their toilet roll 'with the little flowers' on but I can never judge which one they meant.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The one I'm thinking of is called Siempre, £2.99 for 10 rolls. 4-ply
    (how sad am I to get enthusiastic about a loo roll?)
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chipps wrote:
    The one I'm thinking of is called Siempre, £2.99 for 10 rolls. 4-ply
    (how sad am I to get enthusiastic about a loo roll?)

Chipps do you mean that's the one to go for in Lidl's?
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    That's the one I buy from Lidl too Chipps. It's like Charmin but cheaper.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One of my toilets is a saniflo - a macerator unit. Mum bought the charmin stuff once and it blocked that particular loo. Never again. Now its a 36(i think) roll pack from the asian version of wilkinsons down the road from here - called silkinsons!!! about 3 quid. Lasts ages. I don't use babywipes on the youngest anymore (still in trainer pants at night) I use a flannel for his bot-bot:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts