PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

False economy (merged threads)

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Clarkes shoes - I do mystery shopping and have done assignments at Clarks before now, with both my boys. I've then had to go along to have the fit checked again by someone else and I've always found them to be spot on. Therefore, if I can't get any shoes in the sale, I effectively get a discount, by offsetting the fee I get paid against the shoes, if I want to keep them. However, I feel a visit to Tommy Balls coming on....
  • sonic
    sonic Posts: 102 Forumite
    One simple phrase comes to mind that sums this all up - 'You get what you pay for'.

Quality lasts and will cost you less in the long run. This goes for most things.
    Eg, A Sony stereo may cost you a bit more, but will still be working long after a few cheap (Bush,Goodmans,Alba,etc) stereos have died on you.

As for shoes, go for Dr Martens - they last for years.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 574 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    sonic wrote:
    Eg, A Sony stereo may cost you a bit more, but will still be working long after a few cheap (Bush,Goodmans,Alba,etc) stereos have died on you.

I wouldn't agree with that. Had a Bush television and Goodmans VCR that have done me well for years. I agree that in some circumstances you pay for a bit of extra quality but a lot of the time you're simply paying for the brand name.
    MFW 2015 #41 = £20,515/£20,515
    MFW 2014 #41 = £26,100/£25,000
    MFW 2013 #41 = £10,000/£10,000
    Original MF date = May 2036 - MF achieved on 15 June 2015
  • sonic
    sonic Posts: 102 Forumite
    JCL wrote:
    I wouldn't agree with that. Had a Bush television and Goodmans VCR that have done me well for years. I agree that in some circumstances you pay for a bit of extra quality but a lot of the time you're simply paying for the brand name.

I am speaking from experience. My stereo system is 15 yrs old and still going strong. It's made up of Kenwood, Sony, Technics, and Tannoy components. My Mother-In-Law has been through 2 Bush stereos in the past 3 years.
    You can't deny that brands get good or bad reputations based on quality.
    I don't pay more for the name, I pay more because I know that a product with that name will be good quality and will last.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 574 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    sonic wrote:
    I am speaking from experience.

So am I. Our experiences obviously differ.
    MFW 2015 #41 = £20,515/£20,515
    MFW 2014 #41 = £26,100/£25,000
    MFW 2013 #41 = £10,000/£10,000
    Original MF date = May 2036 - MF achieved on 15 June 2015
  • mrsmab59
    mrsmab59 Posts: 166 Forumite
    sonic wrote:
    I am speaking from experience. My stereo system is 15 yrs old and still going strong. It's made up of Kenwood, Sony, Technics, and Tannoy components. My Mother-In-Law has been through 2 Bush stereos in the past 3 years.
    You can't deny that brands get good or bad reputations based on quality.
    I don't pay more for the name, I pay more because I know that a product with that name will be good quality and will last.
    I can speak for both sides here...our main TV is a Hitachi and it's 20+ years old and still going strong (touch wood). However we also have 2 cheap ghetto blasters, one Bush and one Goodmans that are about 10 years old and we've had no problems with either.
    On the negative side, I had an expensive Dyson vacuum cleaner that was repaired 3 times before I finally called it a day and went back to my old Vax cleaner.
    I think that expensive brand names are only as good as the person or machine that put them together.
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
  • lynnemcf
    lynnemcf Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    I find a lot of the buy one get one frees are false economy. Morrisons did Muller yogurt buy 6 get 6 free, but I couldnt eat them all by the sell by date so it worked out more expensive than buying own brand.
    Big DIY stores are a false economy for me. I am lucky to have an old fashioned hardware store near me, where I can buy one bolt or one D ring instead of purchasing a pack at B&Q. Its more per item but I buy exactly the number I need.
    I always buy the cheapest white goods, either a top name but "ex-display" or "discontinued line" in a clearance sale or the store own brand. Brand is never an incentive for me.
  • Peeejaay
    Peeejaay Posts: 11 Forumite
    I'd like to reply to a couple of posts here if I may. Regarding vacuum cleaners I am a professional cleaner and find that almost all Dyson cleaners are terrible-cheap quality and poorly designed. I know lots of people will now defend their's but that's my opinion and I believe that although they are one of the higher-priced makes it comes down to being a relatively new brand who have paid for huge amounts of advertising to become a household name. The best vacuums I have used are a Panasonic upright costing about £100 and a Henry canister cleaner-believe it also cost around £100.
    Also concerning pet food almost all dog foods sold in supermarkets are practically identical and all contain a lot of additives to make pets eat them. You can buy a similar type of food (I'm talking about dry type dog food here) in large pet outlets or animal feed centres made for commercial feeders. I use one called Valu-mix which costs £8 for a 15kg sack and has lasted my spaniel for over six months so far. These are only my own opinions and I don't wish to offend anyone.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    PJ How do you get a dog to eat dry dog food, mine wont touch it. He's always had tinned food but I would like him to have dry food. Is it too late for him to change or could I wean him on to it?

I agree about the Panasonic, thats what we had until my Mum insisted on buying me a Dyson, it never picked up as well as the Panasonic and you can see the awful dog hairs in the container, yuk! I have also had the on/off switch break and one of the attachments broke too.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Regarding the shoes:

I don't have a problem with second hand shoes for myself or my husband. We only buy ones that look to be in good condition, chuck them in a pillowcase in the washing machine, then stuff them with newspaper while they dry. No good for suede shoes obviously, but we've had no disasters (with either the shoes or the washing machine) and plenty of cheap shoes using this method.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure