My Nightmare ESA - Does the left know what the right is doing

Options
1234568»

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've got arthritis in my spine, curveature at the bottom, got 3 discs which are wore away, and the jelly bit is going there eventually fuse together, my hips are displaced, I always joke I look like I've been chopped in half by a magician and when they lined me up they weren't straight. theres siatiatc so theres days where I can't move as back links solid and I'm stuck

At home theres a chairlift, bathroom been ripped out and replaced by a wet room, yet i'm capapble of working, some days i'm aint even capable of moving without popping a dozen pills.

I've got the work focused interview the week after yet i'm covered by a sick note till June, my GP says not fit for work, - the whole system is a joke.

I did my back in origianlly 20 yrs ago by lifting heavy boxes, all before the health + safety then 2 bas car accidnets 1998 + 2000, half knackered my back and neck, but work was manageble changed jobs and was on few pain killers, when I had my daughter in 2002, they finally realsied what damage had been done to my back, I was told at the time that there was a 50/50 risk that i'd be in a wheelchair, as my back, hips, couldn't cope with carrying a baby, - I was stubborn, knew it was my last chance at a child (medical reasons,), I was put on crutches when I was 6 mths pregnant but when dd was 6 months old, I ended up in wheelchair for 6 months, back to the crutches and hire mobility scooters,
    my sick notes - inclluded depression, asthma, mobility, back, knees, lack of movement,

I even had to give up mystery shoppinh jobs that were 1 or 2 a month as coldn't manage
    Like was a lone parent, as originally I was given the wrong info and was later told should have been on IB -
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    I really thing you need to be dead within 6 months to get into the support group, sure its to meet their numbers!

I really hope that is not the case as I have been in the Support Group for two years. I was originally placed in the Work group but appealed it and on reconsideration was placed in the Support Group. In the meantime I had to attend a meeting but the lady running it has the jurisdiction to suspend these meetings if she thinks you are too ill to attend - she took one look at me and did this for me.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Molly41 wrote: »
    I really hope that is not the case as I have been in the Support Group for two years. I was originally placed in the Work group but appealed it and on reconsideration was placed in the Support Group. In the meantime I had to attend a meeting but the lady running it has the jurisdiction to suspend these meetings if she thinks you are too ill to attend - she took one look at me and did this for me.

Glad you got the support group, even the last time at my lone parent interview they said that Im not suitable for work!, when you appealed did you ask for a reconsideration, did they drop you back to assesment rate? sorry for all the questions. xx
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No I was paid at the WRAG rate. I actually requested an appeal and filled in the forms stating the reason why I should be in the Support Group. I requested an oral hearing as I stated that they should see me in person as my mobility is so impaired. I was then granted Support on reconsideration. I had to fill in another ESA questionnaire 9 months later but had further evidence by then so was awarded for 2 years. I am now awaiting another ESA questionnaire as to whether I will need to go for another medical or whether I will continue in Support. I have sent lots of evidence so really hoping it is straightforward....but who knows and it is nerve wracking waiting for the decision to drop through the letterbox.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Ellejmorgan
    Ellejmorgan Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    my spine is wearing also have sciatica and the equivilent in my right arm, causes headaches, breathlessness etc..can't get any support at all..didn't fight esa or dla before but am fed up with struggling..am also incontinent..
    I always take the moral high ground, it's lovely up here...
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    had my work focused interview, and it say allow an hr, I was in and out within 10 mins.... apparently the nursr who did the medical said I'd be able to work in 12 months time, so I just have to touch base with the job centre in 6 months. I have asked for the medical info, awaiting that.... not to appeal for support group, I know to an extent I should, but I haven't got the strength to do, i'm fighting my ex through courts at the mo over my daughter, and thats taking its toll. See what happens in 12 months.
  • Ellejmorgan
    Ellejmorgan Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    had my work focused interview, and it say allow an hr, I was in and out within 10 mins.... apparently the nursr who did the medical said I'd be able to work in 12 months time, so I just have to touch base with the job centre in 6 months. I have asked for the medical info, awaiting that.... not to appeal for support group, I know to an extent I should, but I haven't got the strength to do, i'm fighting my ex through courts at the mo over my daughter, and thats taking its toll. See what happens in 12 months.

Did you know that wfi can be done on the phone ??

I've also done the court thing with the ex it ain't easy..hope it goes your way...
    I always take the moral high ground, it's lovely up here...
  • eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anguk wrote: »
    Do they take into account the effects medication have on you? I know when my husband has been on high painkiller doses he's been fit for nothing, you couldn't even have a conversation with him because he would just drift off mid-sentence!

Yes! It's something they can't argue with, as part of your evidence you must send in the leaflet that accompanies your medication, specifically the section on 'side effects'.

You also need to fill out all relevant parts of the ESA50 that are effected. Some of these medicines have huge side effects as you have witnessed and some people find themselves worse off on them but must take them to treat their condition.

It's very important you include them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport