My Nightmare ESA - Does the left know what the right is doing

Options

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Great news... well done. Just to clarify... for Support Group there are no points... any one of the Support Group descriptors will qualify you for it... some of them happen to also be 15 point descriptors in the WRAG descriptors and that can sometimes cause confusion. As you were awarded WRAG they found you didn;t meet any S.G descriptors but scored at least 15 points total in the WRAG descriptors... hopefully you can find out which (I think you requested the ATOS medical report which may shed light as quite possibly got 'rubber stamped' at DWP) as it's always easier to go down a path you've already had mapped out.. if you know what I mean..lol

I've asked for the atos medical report, if it hasn't come by middle of the week, gove them a ring to jog them alomg.
    I was told before that is almost impossible to get into the support group, which would have been better, but at least wrag is one less worry for now!

Thank you, it makes sense when someone else explains it. xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • annoat
    annoat Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hi have posted another thread as hadn't seen this. I have had an absolute nightmare with the whole ATOS/DWP incapable lot. They have caused me a mass of futher distress which has resulted in my condition being worse. Only for me to discover that after 9 months of being in the assessment phase, sending a complaint letter and what feels like hundreds of phone calls chasing them up to SUPPORT ME INTO EMPLOYMENT I have 3 months left of money coming in before they will stop it under the 365 day rule!!!

Sorry for the rant am at my wits end

Who do I ask for the copy of the ATOS report ATOS or DWP?
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=annoat;52305817
    Who do I ask for the copy of the ATOS report ATOS or DWP?[/QUOTE]

The DWP.
    However, this is only relevant if you are claiming contributions based, if you want to appeal for inclusion in the support group.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yes the support group is the equivalent of the old Incapacity Benefit. As you have now found out, all of those that were receiving IB and didn't get into the support group should have been honest with the DWP years ago and told them that their health had improved. But no they continued to rake in IB and kept quiet.

The bag has now been opened and it has been a shock to everyone to find out that there are so many claimants that have been dodging the system in the past.

The idea of the support group as was the original intention of IB, only those that had very little chance of being able to work should have been getting the benefit.
    In reality all you had to do was present a sicknote from your GP and hey presto you are on benefit!!

I don't mean to be rude, but don't tar everyone with the same brush, I'm not a dole scrounger as you are implying or claimed IB and not told them I was getting better.

Do you really think I asked to be left permantely disabled by some idiot who didn't use his brakes on his car and wrote mine off, and spend the time trying to get my life back together, learning how to manage daily tasks with difficulty, not being able to bend down and open the oven door.

I appriciate everyone is intitled to their opinion, but don't jusge others by your standards of thought.
  • fogartyblue.
    fogartyblue. Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    This is a lie.
    You are quite aware that the conditions of entitlement for IB and ESA are different.

Some have been entitled to IB, and will not be entitled to ESA not on the basis of any doubt or changes in their condition, but due to the fact that they are different benefits, with different entitlement conditions.

There are some slight differences. I have the Disability Rights Hanbook in front of me which sets down the descriptors.

In the main they are broadly similar to those of ESA.
    There are of course so small technical differences.

I'm not saying that those in the work group haven't acquired the minimum number of points - they have, but their condition was felt that it would improve in the short to medium term.
    Therefore they are said to be in a position now or shortly will be to start thinking about getting back into work.
    Something that IB never considered as everybody was classified as being totally incapable of work for years.

To be in the support group it is considered that being able to work is out of the question, much the same as an IB decision.

At the end of the day those that I have talked to about their move from IB to ESA and that they were either found to be fit for work immediately or put in the work group - looking for work in maybe 3/6 months all admit that the ESA decision was reasonable.
    One actually told me that he needed the push off IB/ESA for him to go back to work! And most said that the 'going was good whilst it lasted'.
  • fogartyblue.
    Options
    Chrissiew wrote: »

I have been on long term IB for 10 years, had 3 medicals from DWP doctors and they decided that I didnt need anymore because my illness was not going to go away or get any better, I am on high rate DLA both componants, also after having medicals to recieve that.

But there is one difference between you and me then is that I was not willing to accept being classified as sick/disabled.

I received IB from 1994 to 2000
    I also received DLA HRM/HRC
    I was also assessed as being 70% disabled and received IIDB.
    I was also assessed by the government's Medical Officer and in conjunction with my GP was offered enhanced ill health retirement in 2000.

I was injured by a member of the public whilst carrying out my duties as a civil servant.

What did I do?
    I closed down the IB claim and went back to work much against the advice of my GP. In doing so I lost the right to the enhanced pension, I gave up all of my DLA award in 2001, and in 2004 when the IIDB award came to be renewed I closed that down also.

I made myself go back to work.

I could have lazed all day on benefits for years to come, but it was doing my head in.

The difference is that not many actually volunteered to give up IB they saw it as a means to an end.

My illness hasn't gone away I still suffer from it today - it all depends on the character and willpower of the individual as to whether they really want to be drawing sick benefits for years to come.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Chrissiew wrote: »
    I really dont know who the hell you think you are, you are forever putting people down and getting on your high horse, I doubt very much you are the saint you make out to be, you dont know everything and you dont know everyones disablilites and illnesses.

I have been on long term IB for 10 years, had 3 medicals from DWP doctors and they decided that I didnt need anymore because my illness was not going to go away or get any better, I am on high rate DLA both componants, also after having medicals to recieve that.

I have been migrated to WRAG on ESA WITHOUT having a medical, so your ramblings are wrong, as according to you I was not put in the support group because I would have had a medical and found to be fit for work, found to be lying about my illness! Well you are wrong, as you are about a lot of things, DWP DO get it wrong, they do put people in the wrong group and they do it because they want to be seen to be doing the job the goverment gave them, getting people back to work, even if they are too sick to work, it doesnt matter to ATOS or the DWP as people are just numbers to them, a way of getting a pat on the back and probably a huge bonus for meeting targets.

I have not appealed the decision to put me in the WRAG, the reason for this is, when they decide to give me an interview, I will turn up, I will be shaking so much the only job they could recommend for me would be a cocktail shaker, I will have to ask the interviewer numerous times to repeat herself because I am partialy deaf in one ear and the ringing in my other ear is so loud I cant hear anything at all, my Husband will have to be there with me because I cannot walk in a straight line,I will have to ask my Husband to sign anything for me as I cant hold a pen due to my hands shaking so much, I may even have to ask for a bucket to be sick in due to having to take 5-6 strong painkillers all at once just to get me out of the house for a couple of hours.

You never know, I may get a brilliant person who will find me the perfect job, a job who will accept someone like me, and who will allow my Husband to come to work with me and do any paper work for me.

But I guess what will really happen is the interviewer will say I will not be able to find a job in my condition, there wont be a way of helping me back to work because theres nothing anyone can do, thats why I havent appealed because I am going to go along with them and prove they do get it wrong many many times.

I wont be far behind u, i'll be the one hiring the mobility scooter to get around more than about 50 metres, have they got a bed as when I take the maxiium doseage of tablets knock me out, hand rails in the toilet so i can get up off it. a shower for when excess sweating kicks in, plus what they use as could go into anapkylxis shock, plus someone to help me up out of a low chair, be near the loo when ibs kicks in...

now which one of us gets the job!! xx
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2012 at 10:58PM
    Options
    I made myself go back to work.

I could have lazed all day on benefits for years to come, but it was doing my head in.

The difference is that not many actually volunteered to give up IB they saw it as a means to an end.

My illness hasn't gone away I still suffer from it today - it all depends on the character and willpower of the individual as to whether they really want to be drawing sick benefits for years to come.
    But you have to accept that even with the best will in the world some people will never be able to go back to work. My husband has a very strong character and willpower but that won't make him better and that won't make him able to work. And I'd love to meet the employer who would give him a job! :rotfl: My fit healthy 18 year old daughter who studies hard and is hopefully going to university in September can't find a part-time job so goodness knows what chance someone like my husband has.

And sometimes you have no choice but to accept you're disabled or sick, you can still focus on the things you can do but you still have to accept your limitations.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • fogartyblue.
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    I wont be far behind u, i'll be the one hiring the mobility scooter to get around more than about 50 metres, have they got a bed as when I take the maxiium doseage of tablets knock me out, hand rails in the toilet so i can get up off it. a shower for when excess sweating kicks in, plus what they use as could go into anapkylxis shock, plus someone to help me up out of a low chair, be near the loo when ibs kicks in...

now which one of us gets the job!! xx

There does not need to be a job, there probably never will be, in fact you may be unable ever to find a job - but that is not a condition of ESA, support group or even the work group!
  • fogartyblue.
    Options
    anguk wrote: »
    But you have to accept that even with the best will in the world some people will never be able to go back to work. My husband has a very strong character and willpower but that won't make him better and that won't make him able to work. And I'd love to meet the employer who would give him a job! :rotfl: My fit healthy 18 year old daughter who studies hard and is hopefully going to university in September can't find a part-time job so goodness knows what chance someone like my husband has.

And sometimes you have no choice but to accept you're disabled or sick, you can still focus on the things you can do but you still have to accept your limitations.

As I have already posted, not being able to find a job or even accepting that there is no employer in the UK that will ever give him a job, are not grounds for claiming ESA!

As for jobs, please do me a favour. I regulary look at two agency websites, and there are 1,000's of jobs going begging.

With salaries ranging from £20,000 to £200,000 a year!

If someone can sit at a laptop for a few hours - then they are able to work - yes me included! But as I am within a few years of my State Pension (65), I think that I am a little to old now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure