car problem think its the clutch

Options
13»

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use less revs when pulling away? The clutch and the tyres last a lot longer and dont sit there spinning.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    Use less revs when pulling away? The clutch and the tyres last a lot longer and dont sit there spinning.

I had to re-learn that one when I first put on the winter tyres -- more apt to losing traction in the wet, especially when turning out of a junction at the same time :o
  • xyellowx
    xyellowx Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    bridgestone turanza (factory fitted)
    thanks for all the advice
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    xyellowx wrote: »
    will post tyre type 2morra not going outside now its dark but they are the factory fitted ones on 18100 miles

Original factory fitted?? Front wheels with 18k on??

If as you say they have plenty of tread left then they must be a very hard compound and thus not give much grip. I agree with Strider that the roads are very slippy right now, no substantial rain for a while to wash them clean
  • anotherbaldrick
    anotherbaldrick Posts: 2,335 Forumite
    Options
    Have you started wearing stiletto heels ?
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2012 at 10:06AM
    Options
    xyellowx wrote: »
    bridgestone turanza (factory fitted)
    thanks for all the advice

Had these on mine and they'd be my TOP choice........ In the summer!

For as much as I like the performance in dry conditions, they were utterly useless in the winter months, especially if they're not brand new. To the point where on even the slightest incline in the snow, I could not move at all.

I'm now running on Avon ZV5's, they last me 9 months (i've had 2 full sets so far), the Birdgestones lasted just over 12 months. But I'm happy to sacrifice longevity for wet weather grip, this is the UK after all! I was actually stranded at home for 3 days (couple of years back) with just an inch of snow.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2012 at 9:57PM
    Options
    9 months for a set of tyres?

You really need help unless you do mega miles a year.

I get 20,000 miles on front tyres, 40,000 on the backs, driving badly.

Swopping front to back I get 26,000 miles from a set.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    9 months for a set of tyres?

No, 9 months for the rears, they wear faster because the camber is off by 1.5 degree's, and due to needing expensive replacement camber bolts + fitting (which I can't do at home), it's cheaper to replace the tyres, than to fork out £350+.
    Passes MOT fine, just wears the inner edges a bit quickly.

I don't rotate tyres, it merely delays the inevitable and means having to fork out twice as much when the other two catch up.
    I prefer to keep my car costs spread out through the year.

mikey72 wrote: »
    I get 20,000 miles on front tyres, 40,000 on the backs, driving badly.

Well.... What can I say ;)
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    You get stranded in a fwd car, that you wear back tyres out with?
    Or two full sets as you said earlier.

I'd be more inclined to check the front wheels again if I was the op, 18,000 miles will be near the end of their life on the front.
  • xyellowx
    xyellowx Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the advice
    had a proper look at tyres today plenty of tread on them and got a few miles left on them yet however far from looking like they did from brand new.

never changed tyres for the winter but will have a think about doing it for next year
    how much can i expect the local tryre garage to charge me to swap 4 tyres over for me? at a guess hour/2hours labour?

also any recommendations for a good winter tyre for the cmax? (that doesnt break the bank)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure