car problem think its the clutch

Options
having problem with the car think its the clutch but its only done 18100 miles had it 2years from new, when you pull out of junction it starts to wheel spin because the bite point on clutch is so high, never had problem with other cars and drive carefully and slowly as you would expect in a 1.6 cmax wife taking it to ford later today.
can it need a new clutch after such a low mileage?
or can they adjust it ?
incase you couldnt tell im clueless when it comes to these type of things and normally get ripped off and only find out i have been after its happened

Comments

• Limey
    Limey Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    That won't be the clutch plates if it's wheel spinning. You know when the clutch is on it's way out when the revs go up but you don't go anywhere. :rotfl:

They should be able to adjust the pedal in the car to shift the biting point.
  • xyellowx
    Options
    so no need for a new clutch then?
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    xyellowx wrote: »
    so no need for a new clutch then?

No - if the wheels are spinning, there is nothing wrong with the clutch.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    My GF complained of this....

When I checked her tyres I found they were "Super Wing Wong Ditch Finder XL"s and I made her promise to fit proper tyres before the winter came full force.

You also have to remember that the roads are very slippery right now, all that road salt, damp and spilt diesel. Road salt also contains Molasses, which leave a sticky/slimey residue on the road and all over your car.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • xyellowx
    Options
    the first time it happened i checked the tyres straight away they were fine plenty of tread on, i thought it might just not drive very well in the bad weather put had a dry/warmer week and no improvement also it drove fine last winter and weater was alot worst
    wife got it up ford now

when i get to work the car park area is on a slope when i reverse into parking space it cuts out as my foot is almost off the clutch the biting point is so high
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stop riding the clutch
    the cost is down to you as wear n tear
    or in this case wear n abuse
    sorry
  • Strider590
    edited 29 February 2012 at 12:03PM
    Options
    xyellowx wrote: »
    the first time it happened i checked the tyres straight away they were fine plenty of tread on

But are they decent tyres?

And as for the biting point, as far as im concerned, high is better..... Less movement required to change gear.

The problem comes when you have a clutch pedal with a non-linear return (stiff, stiff, loose, loose, loose, loose, loose), as I know the smaller Fords do have.
    I remember my mother had a new Fiesta years ago and the clutch was awful, impossible to tell where the biting point was because the last few inches of pedal travel were much stiffer/faster. It's literally like you lift off the clutch slowly and then suddenly it flies up and engages.

I reckon, it's the tyre's + roads... And I reckon you yourself are not used to the stupid clutch fitted to those cars.

Wheelspin can only equal one thing, not enough grip.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • xyellowx
    Options
    sb -i dont ride the clutch and havnt mentioned the cost (which of course i would expect to have to pay for)
    was just trying to find out what the problem was likely to be as im cluesless when it comes to mechanics

but thanks for your very useful post
  • Notmyrealname
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    And I reckon you yourself are not used to the stupid clutch fitted to those cars.

THIS. I sold my MK3 Mondeo to my mate a few weeks ago. On the test drive he stalled it every time he set off from standstill. Funny as hell. Now he has no problem with it.

When I bought the car, I stalled it a lot for the first few days until I got used to the clutch.

Ford clutches, especially on the diesels, are notorious for being binary.
  • Strider590
    Options
    The other thing is im wondering if the clutch feels jerky? This would indicate contamination by oil, or a leaking clutch slave cylinder, or glazing caused by over revving (or riding) and burning the clutch plates.

The wheels are still only spinning because they lack grip to the road, but maybe it's harder to control?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure