PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is it. I see the advice banded about elsewhere that 'you may as well find out, you have nothing to lose'.... but I don't really agree with that as it's wasting people's time and resources.

Absolutely find out if you had it. However, putting in a fraudulent complaint, making up reasons of wrongdoing, when you didnt even have PPI is not the right thing to do.

So, find out if you had it. If you didnt then dont complaint. If you did and you feel it was mis-sold then put your complaint in.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Burbage_Fox
    Burbage_Fox Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I wrote to a building society reference a mortgage from the early 1990's to check if I had ever had PPI as I was convinced I had not but wanted to clarify.
    They have replied with details that I did take it out but state it was not miss sold due to various reasons.
    I was shocked and surprised that I had taken out PPI and despite their reasons of follow up letters etc and that they say I requested it I am taking to the Ombudsman.
    I would appreciate any advise or thoughts on the matter as I really did not expect them to say I had ever had PPI.
    THANKS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was shocked and surprised that I had taken out PPI and despite their reasons of follow up letters etc and that they say I requested it I am taking to the Ombudsman.
    It's really not a valid complaint reason that you've since forgotten (or simply didn't read) the mortgage documentation you signed and also failed to check your statements each month to query the separate insurance payment.

Contrary to popular belief, PPI was not routinely added without the knowledge and permission of the customer. That's a myth sponsored by claim companies to drum up custom.

Most mortgage PPI complaints are not upheld because they have much more thorough documentation including a "demands and needs" document which you will have signed and should have read.

To be blunt, nothing you have said indicates that the Ombudsman will overturn the Bank's rejection of your complaint.
  • Burbage_Fox
    Burbage_Fox Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    It's really not a valid complaint reason that you've since forgotten (or simply didn't read) the mortgage documentation you signed and also failed to check your statements each month to query the separate insurance payment.

Contrary to popular belief, PPI was not routinely added without the knowledge and permission of the customer. That's a myth sponsored by claim companies to drum up custom.

Most mortgage PPI complaints are not upheld because they have much more thorough documentation including a "demands and needs" document which you will have signed and should have read.

To be blunt, nothing you have said indicates that the Ombudsman will overturn the Bank's rejection of your complaint.

Fully understand what you have stated but I had cover through decent employment for sickness or redundancy so I would not have needed the PPI cover, hence I would not have taken it out knowingly. Understanding of these products was very different all those years ago.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Fully understand what you have stated but I had cover through decent employment for sickness or redundancy so I would not have needed the PPI cover,

Redundancy pay is not guaranteed. It doesn't overlap with MPPI. Sick pay can be good complaint reason on short-term debts covered by PPI but the FOS has been rejecting complaints where there is 12 months sick pay on MPPI.
    Understanding of these products was very different all those years ago.

MPPI hasnt changed in 30 years and is still retailed today.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wannaberich41
    wannaberich41 Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Apologies if this isn't where I should be posting but looking for advise if possible please?
    I've heard a lot about people claiming about being miss sold Ppi.

Am I likely to have Ppi on the following as firstly I can't really remember or not. Do you have to have paper work as I'm a de clutterer?
    I've had catalogues with
    Additions direct
    Very
    Freemans
    Studio cards
    Next

Store cards with
    New look
    Dorothy Perkins

Mortgages with
    Abbey national
    Halifax
    Santander
    Now nationwide

Hubby loan with tsb when he was about 18(28yrs ago)
    Loan with Vauxhall cars taken out 4 years ago.

Do I just send the letters and try?
    Or shall I get a company to do all the work?

Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated,
    Things will get better day by day.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What a Company does - They send the letters and try
    What you do - You send the letters and try.

If you want to give 50% of any potential redress to a company for doing exactly the same thing you do, go ahead.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Am I likely to have Ppi on the following as firstly I can't really remember or not. Do you have to have paper work as I'm a de clutterer?

Impossible for us to answer. Most people dont have PPI. However, only you will be able to tell from your records. Store cards and credit cards would have it as an entry on the statement. Most MPPI is monthly premium standalone direct debit.

Unlikely any PPi was on car loan from 4 years ago.

Only way to find out is ask them if you dont have your own records.
  • jennmark
    jennmark Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!

A couple of years back I used the template letters on here to see if I could reclaim ppi I was fairly certain I hadn't had any but because of the 'you might not have known you had it' possibility I decided to write to all the institutions my husband or I had had finance with over the years, we received fairly prompt replies that we were not entitled to redress as we had never had ppi in the first place, which is what I thought.
    recently I've been getting lots of calls from ppi reclaim companies, when I inform them that I have already investigated and have never had ppi they tell me that the bank's lied to customers and rejected claims they should have paid out for and that they can make the claim on my behalf. I'm not inclined to believe them, especially as they always question if I used a claims company last time, according to them the banks only lied to individuals not the claims companies. Just wanted to double check that I am right in thinking I have nothing to pursue, if I'm wrong I will Inc do the paperwork again, won't be using a claims company :money:

Thanks for any and all advice :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They're lying.

You can always tell when a CMC is lying, because their lips move.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback