PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• Abinail
    Abinail Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I've just had an offer from Tesco about PPI I had on a loan in 2002. They are refunding me the premiums I paid plus interest (8%) minus tax. They don't however give me a breakdown or say how much PPI I was paying so I don't know if this is correct.
    Is it normal for them to not give a complete breakdown?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goldfish were taken over by Barclaycard, so that is where you should make the claim.

Just to encourage all of you, 8 weeks ago I used Resolver to claim against Bank of Scotland for my partner who had a credit card with them. I sent one email, they sent an acknowledgement letter, they called one evening to try and verify the claim and today had an offer in excess of £10,000. No claims companies, no 30% deduction, just go for it. It is almost like taking candy from a child, which of course is what the banks did with PPI in the first place.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Abinail wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just had an offer from Tesco about PPI I had on a loan in 2002. They are refunding me the premiums I paid plus interest (8%) minus tax. They don't however give me a breakdown or say how much PPI I was paying so I don't know if this is correct.

What will you compare it with if they give you the breakdown?, if you know how much PPI you actually paid it will not be hard to work out.

If you are a non taxpayer or, earn less than your tax code, you can claim the tax back from inland revenue
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Ask them for a breakdown.
    What will you compare it with if they give you the breakdown?.
    If you provided evidence of this PPI, or, the bank had evidence then you have received the correct redress.

If you are a non taxpayer or, earn less than your tax code, you can claim the tax back from inland revenue
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    My husband is 99% certain he had PPI with a Marks and Spencer credit card which he thinks started in the early 90s and he closed in the 2010s but doesn't know definite dates and doesn't know the account number or anything!

Can you give us some advice where to start please?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dbrookf wrote: »
    My husband is 99% certain he had PPI with a Marks and Spencer credit card which he thinks started in the early 90s and he closed in the 2010s but doesn't know definite dates and doesn't know the account number or anything!

Can you give us some advice where to start please?

Contacting M&S would be the best place. They would know.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Contacting M&S would be the best place. They would know.

What info would they need?
  • Abinail
    Abinail Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    amersall wrote: »
    Ask them for a breakdown.
    What will you compare it with if they give you the breakdown?.
    If you provided evidence of this PPI, or, the bank had evidence then you have received the correct redress.

I don't have any paperwork for the loan I had so won't have anything to compare it with. I remember a rough monthly payment, that it was over 3yrs and the interest was quite low at around 5%. Just don't know how much of the payment was for ppi.
    I've just heard that some offers weren't fair based on what you paid as they were trying to get away with paying out as little as possible.

I am a tax payer so no chance of claiming the tax back unfortunately
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just heard that some offers weren't fair based on what you paid as they were trying to get away with paying out as little as possible.
    Where did you "hear" this and when? Redress is defined by the regulator as a refund of all PPI paid plus 8% simple interest. You therefore receive no more or less than this, but you can hardly contest the redress amount unless you can show you paid more.
  • BartyBoy
    BartyBoy Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all

I had two mis-sold PPI policies back in the late 90s and 2000. Both companies refused to accept the fault and to compensate me. Both of them referred me to FOS. I contacted FOS to lodge the first complaint. FOS looked at the complaint and told me the case was out of their regulation zone – the mis-sold happened in Oct 2000. Although I did appeal to FOS and requested an ombudsman to review my case, I had a response from the ombudsman saying my complaint could not be looked into by FOS. The second PPI happened in September 1998, and based on the experience I had with FOS for the first complaint, I take it FOS will not look into the second complaint for me too. I did try writing to the underwriters to make a complaint directly and both of them again rejected my complaints. The total amount that I have paid for both policies was around £1,200.

Please tell me if there are any other ways that I can try to complain the two mis-sold PPI policies.

Many thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure