PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• Loulou3456
    Options
    Hi can anyone help?

When I started uni in 1998 I had a topshop and river island store card which had payment protection automatically added. As an unemployed student I would never have been able to claim on it so believe I could have a claim. I'm thinking of trying to make a claim, just in case I get anything back but I don't have any paperwork and don't really know who to even write to?

Do you think it's worth a try and if so, could anyone suggest who I should write to?

Thanks
    Lou x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I need to try and write to these places to get some copies of agreements.
    You won't receive a copy of Agreements if the accounts are closed. As Dunstonh says above, though, you don't need them to make a complaint.

If you are unsure whether there was PPI, simply contact the lenders and ask them directly-no need to beat around the bush.

As with your earlier experience, do be aware that there is no guarantee that complaints you make will be successful.

Note that any of your complaints that are rejected will always reference Plevin, but that won't be the reason for rejection. It is simply that Plevin only applies to rejected complaints.
  • maltodextrin
    Options
    They simply want you to use their forms. Why did you use Resolver in the first place? That's just an unnecessary third party involvement which many have also found frustrating.

Because that's what MSE are offering? If there's a problem with the service then it shouldn't be formally offered on this site.
  • Shecar
    Shecar Posts: 36 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you to the Resolver Site linked here - I used it and received just over £1k back from Barclays (I've banked with them for 30+ years and apparently they missold PPI on an overdraft I used for 5 weeks some 5 years ago!)
    So it does work :)
    Very happy early retired Mum, surrounded by the Welsh hills, our dogs, cats, goats and poultry

:grinheart:grinheart:grinheart:grinheart
  • j5emm
    j5emm Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it does work, I used it too and had complaints upheld, it has been changed since I used it in Dec/jan tho so I do t think it's as easy to use as it was then
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Because that's what MSE are offering?
    A complaint direct to the financial institution involved "works" too.

No one needs to involve any third party ("free" or not), it's completely unnecessary regardless of MSE promoting it.
  • Baggs
    Baggs Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Firstly Sorry I am completely new to forums and could not find out how to make a post. The only way I found was to use the reply option.

I took out a mortgage through an independant Financial Advisor who according to his business card (which I still have) was regulated by the Financial body at that time. We did discuss PPI and i said that my package at work was so good that i did not need that kind of protection. The only thing i would need cover for is redundancy. It was some time later that discovered i was paying out for a policy so I thought it must cover me for redundancy. a few years later there was talk of redundancy so i tried to contact the company this is when i found that the company had changed name several times. I found the old brochure and read it only to find that it did NOT cover redundancy. I cancelled the policy and through out the paperwork. Later I found that payments were still being taken and cancelled again.
    The only info i have is the name of the FA who sold it. Copies of all my bank statements showing the D/Debit payments made from 2002 up until my payments stopped. How do I make a claim?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Because that's what MSE are offering? If there's a problem with the service then it shouldn't be formally offered on this site.

MSE offer the site as they own a significant chunk of the shares in Resolver. Resolver takes your personal data on complaints, makes the data anonymous, then sells it to firms to help them with complaint handling. As you can see they have good reason to promote Resolver as it makes them money
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took out a mortgage through an independant Financial Advisor who according to his business card (which I still have) was regulated by the Financial body at that time. We did discuss PPI and i said that my package at work was so good that i did not need that kind of protection. The only thing i would need cover for is redundancy. It was some time later that discovered i was paying out for a policy so I thought it must cover me for redundancy. a few years later there was talk of redundancy so i tried to contact the company this is when i found that the company had changed name several times. I found the old brochure and read it only to find that it did NOT cover redundancy. I cancelled the policy and through out the paperwork. Later I found that payments were still being taken and cancelled again.
    The only info i have is the name of the FA who sold it. Copies of all my bank statements showing the D/Debit payments made from 2002 up until my payments stopped. How do I make a claim?

IFAs did not become regulated for insurance until January 2005. As this was before then, the IFA does not have to consider the complaint and you do not have access to the FOS.

What was the policy that you had if it wasnt ASU?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • incesticde
    incesticde Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Need some help... and didn't want to start a new thread

About four ago I attempted to claim PPI from three companies (MBNA, RBOS, Coop). I was rejected by MBNA but Coop and RBOS resulted in wins and a payout. This was all done by myself and no claims companies were involved.

About a two month ago my union offered a free ppi review which I agreed to, they have now said they have found me new ppi money and have sent me a contract to sign which charges a whopping 25% plus of course VAT.

Now obviously I will be rejecting the contract (and telling them so in writing) but I am wondering if
    (a) has anything has changed re what you can claim from ppi since I last claimed myself which has resulted in this company claiming they have found extra ppi?

I'm thinking Plevin and things like that (I seem to remember that there was a recent-ish discussion about if you were hit with charges for overdrawn fees and if you didn't have ppi you wouldn't have had those overdrawn charges you would get the od charges back?).

When I claimed I used the standard templates on MSE at that time (say five years ago)

(b) I'm assuming that I can of start the ball rolling on a new claim for all three?

(c) is there anything I need to above a written signed "I now no longer wish to use your services" letter to the claim agency? So far all I have agreed to is a free no obligation/commitment investigation

Hope this makes sense to you guys, if you need any more clarification please let me know

Thanks for all your help
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback