PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Bankrupts cannot ever make PPI complaints and receive anything personally. Redress from PPI complaints is treated as a pre-bankruptcy asset and belongs to the Official Receiver who will use it for redistribution to your former creditors.

This remains the situation how ever long ago you were discharged.

Sorry.

Full details here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3766585

Duplicate thread posted here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5621055
  • cornishmum
    cornishmum Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,
    Success! Got a letter today from Bank of Scotland who are offering me £3155 for a loan that I took out in 1999 to buy a car. The loan was for £7000 (I think!) and was through Capital Bank, but Bank of Scotland have taken on their historical debts/customers. The actual PPI is £970 and over £2000 is interest.

Very very happy!
    I used the template on the Bank of Scotland website.

Thanks and good luck all.
  • newbs68
    newbs68 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Cornish Mum....well done but just like me be aware IF you happen to claim any tax credits you must declare the interest part because it counts as income.

My part of my claim amounts to just over 5K which will make me seriously overpaid for this tax credit claim and they will want some money back. Sadly no getting away from it.

Bittersweet victory.
  • Cragvo
    Options
    Hi called Santander today about poi miss sold on a Alliance and Leicester loan from 2004.... response was that they had no record of loan but then asked me to do a ppi questinare and stated they would contact me in 5 days. Just wondering if anyone has had similar and what you make of this? Cheers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cragvo wrote: »
    Hi called Santander today about poi miss sold on a Alliance and Leicester loan from 2004.... response was that they had no record of loan but then asked me to do a ppi questinare and stated they would contact me in 5 days. Just wondering if anyone has had similar and what you make of this? Cheers.
    I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. They will investigate further than frontline staff in a call centre can do, but if there are no records of your finance they will simply reply back to confirm in writing what you've already been told on the 'phone.
  • Sarahj67
    Options
    Hello.. new to forum..hope to find some help :)

I was helping my father send off a claim for some ppi he knew he had paid on some loans years ago with Barclays/Lomabard. And I thought while I was using the MSE fab easy tools I would throw in a claim for me re a Virgin card, I recalled that there was an occasion a few years ago when I noted on a card that there was ppi or they had written to me about it and I had cancelled it and complained it was put on there without my knowledge.

Anyway.. MBNA have written to me and said that I had a credit card account and were looking into my claim.
    I've received a letter today where they are rejecting my claim because of the 6 year rule. They inform me that I opened the CC account in dec 2002 and then purchased ppi in a phonecall to them in Jan 2003! No way.. I have never ever agreed to ppi. I remember a very pushy saleswomen who kept me on the phone once when I was applying for a loan and she was giving me the major hard sell re ppi - saying that if I could imagine I was diagnosed with the big C next month how would my family cope etc, she was hideous, but to be honest I thought that was about an RBS loan, and no, I still didnt agree to ppi.
    Then they are saying the ppi was cancelled by myself in March 2008!! I have absolutely no recollection of this at all!
    I am thinking when they say cancelled it do they mean I closed the credit card? If that is what they mean then yes, that was likely as I dont like to keep cards open for too long (dont know why I just dont)
    Then they are saying they conclude I should have reasonably known I had cause for complaint more than 3 years ago. Well, I genuinely had no idea of the ppi agreement or that it was on that card- if they are talking about the virgin card I thought I noticed it a month, max two months in. I always used to set up a direct debit to pay the minimum repayment and that was it.
    Then they are saying that as part of my complaint they have taken steps to ensure the "policy is cancelled and to please note I am no longer covered by the policy" What does this mean? That the policy was still open?

Further on they say this is not their final response as I may be entiteld to compensation as my claim may be affected by the Plevin v Paragon court case and they will write to me in a couple of months time to let me know.

What does this mean? Im so confused :( sorry for the super long post too :/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you feel that you were unfairly rejected, you have six months refer your complaint to the Ombudsman.

The Plevin ruling may (or may not) lead to some minor redress based on commission which may (or may not) have been paid. A forum search will yield more information, but don't hold your breath for a major windfall...
  • Sarahj67
    Options
    Thank you for replying.. :)

They are saying that I can refer to FOS now or wait for a few months when they write to me with their final decision?
    I wasn't expecting anything at all (as I thought I had spotted and cancelled a ppi on my virgin card very soon) least of all a big old windfall, but I'm unhappy that they are telling me that there was ppi on the card for a long time when I for sure was not aware of it.

Should I refer to FOS now or wait, what do you think?
  • thechud
    Options
    i had a credit card with Barclays 20yrs ago . I didn't know I had ppi on it until about 8 yrs ago so after finding out I cancelled it 8 yrs ago. I still have card but no paperwork as I said previously it was 20 yrs . can I still claim ? any help or advice would be much appreciated
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If the card is still being used and you have reasons for mis sell, contact them.
    You only need the account number from a statement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback