PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• Rainbows_and_rivers
    Options
    Ok, that's great, thank you. I'll look into it.
    Best wishes.
  • Agarrity
    Options
    Hi. I had an egg loan around 2003 and pretty sure they told me I had to have ppi. However I have no papers. How to I get the details of the loan and get it back?
  • ARCADIAN
    ARCADIAN Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    How far can I go back to claim. I had a mortgage with Abbey National,(which of course no longer exists), from 1976 to 2000, I have little paperwork for this. I`m sure I paid this insurance during that time but can`t prove it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ARCADIAN wrote: »
    How far can I go back to claim. I had a mortgage with Abbey National,(which of course no longer exists), from 1976 to 2000, I have little paperwork for this. I`m sure I paid this insurance during that time but can`t prove it.

MPPI didnt exist in 1976.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ARCADIAN wrote: »

PPI didn't exist in 1976

You may have paid life insurance, MIG or similar but it's highly unlikely you can get anywhere with a complaint. 17 years ago chances are their paperwork is long gone, let alone proving a miss-sale
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agarrity wrote: »
    Hi. I had an egg loan around 2003 and pretty sure they told me I had to have ppi. However I have no papers. How to I get the details of the loan and get it back?

https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/complaints-egg.do#CLICK1

With no records chances are your complaint won't go anywhere
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Agarrity wrote: »

Send them a SAR and £10 to see what's left.
    Be aware, if you bought online, you missbought rather than were missold unless you were in the tiny time frame of auto tick boxes.
    You can still complain about single premium though.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • RomeoAlpha
    Options
    I just want to say how angry I am. I am financially literate. PPI was always and obviously a rip off. It was expensive and unlikely to be needed. I always refused it whenever it was offered. I also saved up to buy things instead of taking loans and paying interest.

So I am absolutely clear that I am not owed any PPI refund.

Meanwhile people who are financially incompetent, never read the small print, and never tried to understand ppi are now getting their money back. Unless the bank lied and said it was mandatory, in all other cases you took what was offered, and if it was a poor deal that's your fault not the bank.
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2017 at 10:16AM
    Options
    RomeoAlpha wrote: »
    I just want to say how angry I am. I am financially literate. PPI was always and obviously a rip off. It was expensive and unlikely to be needed. I always refused it whenever it was offered. I also saved up to buy things instead of taking loans and paying interest.

So I am absolutely clear that I am not owed any PPI refund.

Meanwhile people who are financially incompetent, never read the small print, and never tried to understand ppi are now getting their money back. Unless the bank lied and said it was mandatory, in all other cases you took what was offered, and if it was a poor deal that's your fault not the bank.

PPI wasn't always a rip-off or hugely expensive. Some policies were actually not that bad.

Also you don't need to be financially illterate or stupid to be mis-sold. I'm financially literate and I was mis-sold PPI. You can read my one thread I posted on here years back to find my "story". But the short version is that I was young (yes, so not as financially literate as now) and I went into the bank to open a current account. They also sold me a credit card and sold PPI with the card as well.

I wasn't working so I wasn't eligible to have PPI. I even said something along the lines of "but I don't have a job now so how could I become unemployed? The answer I was given was "If you don't spend on the card you won't pay anything, and if you do get a job in the future you'll be protected then". So I accepted.

You're right, people generally don't read small print, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be penalised if they missed something on page 97 of the policy booklet.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    RomeoAlpha wrote: »

So you are angry people are getting their money back, that they paid?
    And you posted just to tell everyone they are stupider than you?

Thanks you for your contribution.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback