🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• mh4tc
    Options
    Hi,

First post, so bear with me!

I have managed to re-claim some recent PPI by myself, but am sure there is some over 6 years (possibly 25 years) but have no paperwork or anything. How do I find out who we had loans with that long ago?

Thanks
  • snootycow
    Options
    A couple of years ago I noticed I was paying PPI on my Freemans catalogue account and had been for a number of years. I hadn't really noticed because my account was paid direct debit and I hardly ever looked at the statements. I rang them about it, they stopped the PPI and said they would investigate. A while later I received a letter saying they weren't going to take my claim any further because I had agreed to PPI over the phone with them some years previous. I have no recollection of this at all, it's not something I would ever do as I have a very secure job and I want to now start a claim. Do I go the Grattan route through the reclaiming tool or do direct to Freemans?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whoever sold it to you.
    Be aware though, if you had it prior to January 2005 they can dismiss your complaint as pre regulation.
    Also, if you already complained about paying the PPI more than 3 years ago, and you had the catalogue after January 2005, they can timebar your complaint.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mh4tc wrote: »
    Hi,

First post, so bear with me!

I have managed to re-claim some recent PPI by myself, but am sure there is some over 6 years (possibly 25 years) but have no paperwork or anything. How do I find out who we had loans with that long ago?

Thanks

Your memory is the only way to do this, this information is not in the public domain
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    snootycow wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I noticed I was paying PPI on my Freemans catalogue account and had been for a number of years. I hadn't really noticed because my account was paid direct debit and I hardly ever looked at the statements. I rang them about it, they stopped the PPI and said they would investigate. A while later I received a letter saying they weren't going to take my claim any further because I had agreed to PPI over the phone with them some years previous. I have no recollection of this at all, it's not something I would ever do as I have a very secure job and I want to now start a claim. Do I go the Grattan route through the reclaiming tool or do direct to Freemans?

If it's more than 6 months ago, if they treated it as a complaint (which it sounds like they did given they wrote and rejected a refund) then you will be time barred from going any further with no access to the FOS unfortunately. You can't complain about the same thing twice and you only have 6 months to refer the rejection to the FOS.

Even if it's inside 6 months, what evidence do you have that you didn't agree to taking it out over the phone? Remember you have to prove you were miss-sold not for them to disprove it.

Aside from the police, no job is "very secure", any job can go and people are not immune to illness
  • snootycow
    snootycow Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2017 at 11:26AM
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy reply Nasqueron.
    I still have the catalogue now but don't really use it. I can't find the letter they sent back to me nor do I know when the PPI started because I have no recollection of the phone conversation they claim to have had with me.
    I believe Grattan own Freemans and there's no Freemans option on the reclaim tool. I assume i'd be best to print off the letter and send to Freemans.
    I've been putting all this off for so long because the very thought of it I find daunting at best and my head's all over the place as it is! :rotfl:
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy reply taff.
    I still have the catalogue now but don't really use it. I can't find the letter they sent back to me nor do I know when the PPI started because I have no recollection of the phone conversation they claim to have had with me.
    I believe Grattan own Freemans and there's no Freemans option on the reclaim tool. I assume i'd be best to print off the letter and send to Freemans.
    I've been putting all this off for so long because the very thought of it I find daunting at best and my head's all over the place as it is! :rotfl:

As per my comment above, when you cancelled the policy, it seems they took it as a complaint and investigated it and rejected a refund. In this case if it was more than 6 months ago your complaint is over.
  • snootycow
    Options
    Oops, thanked the wrong poster for replying, sorry about that Nasqueron!

I think I may try my luck anyway, I've got nothing to lose afterall :)
  • Andypez
    Andypez Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    my wife was rejected by the ombudsman in 2015 for a claim for mis-selling of PPI, but i found the response from the ombuds office insufficient in detail to substantiate a refusal, it was appealed to the Ombuds office again, however was again refused.

We argued that Halifax/RBS informed her that it was necessary to have PPI when she took out her mortgage. the Policy was also not suitable. She was told that it was necessary to have it as part of her mortgage when it was sold to her.

because it has been rejected by the bank and now rejected by the Ombudsman, is there any other route of having the matter re-investigated?
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy reply Nasqueron.

If they're not on Resolver then you can complain directly but just bear in mind they will probably bounce it, you never know though, you might get lucky
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure