PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    I'm afraid you'll have to resign yourself to not complaining.

Yes, a complaint dating from 1997 (fifteen years ago) would require comprehensive documentation from the complainant's own archive to stand any chance of success. As it stands, there is no way for the complainant to confirm that he even had a PPI policy.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fries320 wrote: »
    Hi All,

we need a bit of advice on what we should do regarding our situation:

My wife had taken out decreasing life assurance with Zurich in 2004 through an IFA.

At the time, we remember quite vividly saying the we did not want PPI . The IFA stated that if we didn't take out the policy with the PPI cover we would be charged in excess of £1000 for his advice.

Now on reading the advice on this website, we have decided that this could have been a case of mis-selling however, we note that all the PPI claims tend to be for loans etc and not life cover.

our questions are:

Should my wife still be able to claim?

we have lost contact with the IFA (in fact I think he was taken to the small claims court a number of times) so can we claim through Zurich directly?

many thanks in advance

PS we've called for a payment breakdown and they haven't provided it yet

we also haven't cancelled the PPI yet, should we do that before claiming (if the claim is possible) or do both at the same time.

Why do you think it was missold? Do you have life cover with anyone else or other means of re-paying your mortgage otherwise?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • gracieuk
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    Unable to proceed with your complaint, or unable to uphold your claim? Is is a full and final decision or is it a letter asking for more information?
    A claims company won't do anything more than you've already done...

Sorry unable to proceed I have called again today and they have logged complaint again?!awaiting another 5 days
  • -taff
    Options
    there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to proceed with your complaint form what you've told them.
    There is an instant reason why they don't have to uphold your complaint though, as what you've said is only hearsay, i.e. your word against theirs about what happened during the sale.
    Do you have any other reasons why this was missold, such as single premium PPI?
  • gracieuk
    Options
    No I can only show from my employers sickness policy showing I didn't need ppi as covered there , thanks for quick response
  • parish77
    Options
    ok, so i've sort of been on the fringes of this PPI reclaiming business in regard to the fact that I think I can claim as I have had in the last ten years a Barclaycard, Egg Card, Capital One card, a loan from Abbey National (now santander), HP financing from Black Horse and a sizeable overdraft from Barclays. Suffice to say I'm currently in the black but back then I wasn't and typcially I no longer have the paperwork to prove anything in regards to PPI.

Can I still claim, what is the easiest way to do it and will the bank and credit card companies look for the information themselves and in effect, do the legwork for me after I have written or telephoned them? Also, do I have to fill in the ombudsman questionnaire that barclays require for a claim considering the fact that I have no proof whatsoever, just a vague idea that I might be owed something?

all ideas, suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated because at this stage i'm considering going to one of the CMC companies and letting them do the legwork.....

Cheers
    Mark :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    parish77 wrote: »
    will the bank and credit card companies look for the information themselves and in effect, do the legwork for me after I have written or telephoned them? Also, do I have to fill in the ombudsman questionnaire that barclays require for a claim considering the fact that I have no proof whatsoever, just a vague idea that I might be owed something?
    You need to do all your own research.
    No point sending the bank a "complaint" about a vague idea.

Barclays will just reply that they reject you on the basis that you have made no actual complaint.
  • -taff
    Options
    The cmc companies make you do the legwork, then they post it. You pay them for putting a stamp on an envelope [although, you know, sometimes, it's a large letter stamp so more pricey] and posting it off.

The easiest way to do it is to read through the claiming guide, then ask any specific quesions here after you've done that.
  • Nixette
    Options
    Hi all I need advice re; Grattan catalogue who missold me PPI in 2000. Initially I asked them politely for a refund but now they are quoting the fact that FSA rules did not apply then. I know they missold me PPI, I wasnt working at the time as my daughter had a rare medical condition, autistic tendencies and special needs and I was a stay at home mum. My Grattan account was the only way I could afford birthday/christmas gifts and when i tried to place an order (after having had the account for 6 years prior to this with no PPI included/added) I was told by the call centre lady that my order would not be processed unless I accepted PPI. I know that I was really upset at the time, but not being able to work, having a child with special needs/medical condition, I felt I had no alternative but to accept the PPI. It sounds crazy now that I accepted cover when I wasnt even working but I was under such a lot of stress back then and having no alternative way of funding my purchases, I accepted. I do not ever remember signing anything or receiving any documentation and as I dont use Grattan anymore, upon moving house this last year, I burned all previous statements. Can I add I do not owe them any money. Has anybody else been in this situation and if so did you have any success reclaiming your PPI? I think I might have scuppered my chances of a reclaim by the fact that I burned all of my paperwork!! Aaargh Please can anyone advise?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nixette wrote: »
    ! Aaargh Please can anyone advise?
    They've already told you that 2000 was pre-regulation. Sorry.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback