edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
11K replies 1.7M views
1109610971098109911001102»

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ,is it not illegal to copy a signature to gain information leading to a demand for money? 

What you describe, if it took place, would be fraud.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One month later i received a letter from Financial Ombudsman advising tht they couldn't do anything as the claim was from such a long time ago.

Insurance was not regulated until Jan 2005.   You bought before that date.   Hence why the FOS couldn't look at it.

On 01 Oct 2020 i received a letter from Shop direct finance advising that they had finished their investigation & found out that PPI had 1st been charged to my account 27/04/93 & was cancelled by me 05/02/2008, they had worked out that i was due a repayment including the ineterest of £3527.13, 1 month later I received a cheque through the post.

IIRC, there was a legal issue that had to be resolved on this about liability for the complaints and even if a liability existed.   They then went back on old complaints to review them.   

you have actually got lucky as they could have applied a timebar to yours as you cancelled in 2008.  You are meant to raise a complaint within 6 years of purchase of 3 years of being reasonably aware of an issue.   Cancelling in 2008 meant you could have been timebarred in 2011.  Luckily for you, they didn't apply that.

So my advise is don't give up even if Financial Ombudsman says they can't help you!!

It sounds like you did give up and the response came out of the blue.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • speccybobspeccybob Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi all, just signed up to ask for some help. My father passed away in mid August 2019 and I had to arrange his estate. I noticed that he had ppi on a £40k mortgage, from 1997 with Cheshire building society. This was remortgaged a few years later.  This has been ongoing due to the pandemic but I finally have a decision. They have given me a breakdown and said they have awarded 'the amount my father would have paid to put them back in the position if they hadn't been taken out ppi in the first place'. I received a final offer of £732. Does that sound right? I had a £10k loan in 2006 and received a £5k payout around 2013 so this seems very low to me. Thanks in advance for your help :) 
    106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
     I received a final offer of £732. Does that sound right?

Impossible for us to answer as we don't have the data available to us.

I had a £10k loan in 2006 and received a £5k payout around 2013 so this seems very low to me.

You are mixing up different types of PPI.   Loan PPI is different to mortgage PPI.  Indeed, you can still buy mortgage PPI today and the regulator at one point wasn't going to include mortgage PPI in the saga but they decided it would be too confusing to separate it out.

MPPI was regular premium. Not single premium like your loan.  He only had it for a couple of years.  So, a monthly payment may only have been around £12 on that sort of borrowing.     The Cheshire could well be auto paying out on this one as the amount is so low.

• Hitman_HartHitman_Hart Forumite
    6 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, so my parents claimed ppi back through Gladstone Brooks. They had a capital one claim that wasn't unsuccessful but had been ignored.  Most of the other cards/loans had paid out before the end of 2020 but they got a message last month saying capitol one would review the claim if they applied directly, as Gladstone had originally applied before august 2019 the deadline.  Gb supplied the reference number for the form of authority they submitted.  Capitol one weren't very helpful on the phone, is there another way to contact them about this?
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, so my parents claimed ppi back through Gladstone Brooks. They had a capital one claim that wasn't unsuccessful but had been ignored.  Most of the other cards/loans had paid out before the end of 2020 but they got a message last month saying capitol one would review the claim if they applied directly, as Gladstone had originally applied before august 2019 the deadline.  Gb supplied the reference number for the form of authority they submitted.  Capitol one weren't very helpful on the phone, is there another way to contact them about this?
    What other way do you want? If they let them know that they would review it, just confirm you want that, phone or letter?

Use whatever reference was on the "message" - sorry to be vague but there isn't really much to go on in your post.

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson