PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• bmac
    bmac Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    If you took out the policy while you were already signed off work, then yes it would most likely be invalid but why did you do that?

Did you tell them you were not working when applying for the card? If the PPI wasn't sold with the card it might have been activated on the phone soon after - did you tell them that when you took out the PPI policy?

Afraid it was 2001. I have no idea why or how I took out the policy. I don't even recall the reasons why I cancelled it in 2013. Indeed, I no longer have the card, probably since then. I suspect it is going to be rather difficult to argue I didn't need PPI when I have no idea how I got it in the first place. But, it certainly would not have been as insurance against losing my job as my director's permanent income protection policy covered me throughout the time the PPI was in place.
  • Confetti0134
    Options
    Hi

My wife has made a PPI claim against Capital One for PPI on a credit card. We have been awarded £1714.15 via the Plevin rule. Capital One are saying that my wife ticked a box back in 2005 for PPI. They general tone on theses threads are not to follow this up with FOS as she could have cancelled at any time.

Should we ask for proof from Capital One or just be grateful with the amount given?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As she chose to buy the policy, I'd get on with cashing the redress.

There's nothing more to be had.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Proof of what? There's nothing stopping you from escalating your complaint to the FOS regardless of the PLevin payout. If you are successful, they'll just give you the difference as you've been already paid out.
    Don't hold out any hope though.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

My wife has made a PPI claim against Capital One for PPI on a credit card. We have been awarded £1714.15 via the Plevin rule. Capital One are saying that my wife ticked a box back in 2005 for PPI. They general tone on theses threads are not to follow this up with FOS as she could have cancelled at any time.

Should we ask for proof from Capital One or just be grateful with the amount given?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Their records say she ticked a box, if you have proof she didn't then provide it. You can accept the Plevin refund money and still go to the FOS but if the process was opt in not opt out she won't get any more money
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I know it's down to the point of, "you'd be surprised, just check", but what if I have no useful records and basically just some idea in my head of a heap of lenders I may have had over the years for credit card, endowment and/or loans?

Will I get anywhere simply writing to each with my last two addresses, name and date of birth and say, "have you any records, did I have PPI?"?
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    Kallisti wrote: »
    Will I get anywhere simply writing to each with my last two addresses, name and date of birth and say, "have you any records, did I have PPI?"?
    You'll only know if you try....
  • Benny_Dorm
    Options
    Hello, first post, hope I’m in right place and doing it correctly.

Dear all, can you please advise me.
    I have taken a day off work, researched and have contact all providers that I had debts with from many years ago. Would be happy to get any money at all, even if it’s just used by companies to reduce my debts on my DMP (started 2011) and as long as I’m not paying a company to do it for me.
    First response came today and I’m rather disappointed and am thinking that this response, from MBNA, will be the same for all the others.
    They tell me I had PPI but will not consider the case because of FCA dispute resolution ruling 2.8.2. They say that they can’t consider due to no fees or interest being charged since 2011 (start of my DMP) and so is outside of 6 year period and also feel that I had reasonable opportunity to complain more than 3 years ago.
    The debt has been passed on to Idem since (and is still open) but I thought I should go after the provider who gave me the credit card (MBNA).
    They have told me that this is their final response.
    Is there any recourse for me at all? If not, as I say, I fear that my letters to all other providers will also end in same way. Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be most welcome.
    Many thanks
    Benny D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Benny_Dorm wrote: »
    Is there any recourse for me at all?
    I'm afraid not. The time-bar seems properly applied.

Why did you not make the PPI complaints at the start of your DMP?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    Options
    Send it to the FOS. If they have properly applied a timebar then well and good, but if they haven't...Entering a DMP is not the same as cancelling the PPI yourself.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback