PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HELP-FTB unfair negotiations

Options

Comments

• terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    you have only offered to buy, not signed a contract and exchanged, so your free to walk away at anytime before exchange, choice is ;
    do you want to pay/can you pay or do you want to walk away?
    You are walking gold dust as a FTByr and if the vendor cant see this he needs glasses, he could be stuck with a long chain, with all the problems that brings.
    Lots of good advise from fellow members here go with your gut feelings after all your the purchaser.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Did you have a standard valuation or a homebuyers report?

Although I have to say I take lots of things surveys say with a pinch of sort, if you had only the valuation done, there maybe other things that need doing that have not been highlighted.

If you are still intrested in purchasing get a couple of quotes from tradesmen for the work - don't rely on the surveys estimate.

Remember that the house has already cost you some money (valuation and searches I pressume) so walking away you would need to shell out this again on the next house....

Personally I would try the line get the problem fixed and I'll pay the price I offered!
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Two questions: Are you in a real hurry to move? Do you really love the house?

If the answer to both are no, then I would play the game a bit. Contact the estate agent (not the buyer) reducing your offer by, say, £5k, to allow for the fact that house prices are generally falling and work needs doing to the property. At the same time ask the estate agent to show you some more houses in your price range, and also make it clear that you are looking at properties through other estate agents as well.

This makes the estate agent a bit more desperate to persuade the seller that the lower offer is reasonable!

Then start looking at other properties. Just leave your lower offer on the table indefinitely, whether it is rejected or not, and start acting as if you don't really care one way or the other about it.

If the seller changes his mind then buy at the lower price. If he wants to be pig headed then he will have wasted time and will be back where he started.

In the meantime you will find a cheaper better house somewhere else.
  • pault123
    pault123 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, will reply tonight in a rush at the mo!

Found some interesting information

http://www.propertyfinder.com/2/pf/articles/sellersViewHousingMarket.do

relates to my situation>

Paul
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The advice about telling the estate agent rather than the seller is excellent, they will put the pressure on for you, they are only interested in their commision and nothing else, and they want it in the bank now not latter.
  • pault123
    pault123 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the help.

Have withdrawn my offer yesterday, explained I had seen another property for less and have also viewed it. I said I wouldn't budge on paying for the work to be done and giving full asking price.

The estate agent who I dealt with (thx nelly) sounded quite shocked as he knows i really like the house, he is in negotiations with the vendor. Get the impression he doesnt want to remarket it as all the hassle involved and only one fee!

Paul
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    well done on turning the tables as i said you are walking gold dust let us know how you get on the vendor I'm sure will negotiate now you have stood firm .
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    Options
    Good for you!

If your mortgage company won't lend the money without the work being done, then it's highly probable that he's going to have the same problem with any other prospective buyers, and at some stage is going to have to wake up and start negotiating!

If I were him, I wouldn't fancy having to start all over again - especially if there is a chain above him, as he will more than likely risk losing the property above him too!
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • stillill_2
    stillill_2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I love this thread!
    Keep the sellers on their toes and make sure you're happy with your big investment. Also, if it needs 1100 of work to get the mortgage, surely the property is overvalued by 1100? Very optimistic!
    Filiss
  • stratford_2
    stratford_2 Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    Quite right too! Let us know how you get on with the unreasonable and unrealistic vendor. They should have bitten your hand off when you offered to split the cost 50/50 and I'm glad for you they didn't!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure