We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Could it be a school House badge?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    Could it be a school House badge?

I'd guess at school tennis champion badge....or has someone said that already?

Had a really "Meh!" day today, with too little done. :(
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    I think it's just a fairly standard thermometer. It's mounted on wood, so would be useless for testing temp of chemicals. Maker Collins, and Bath is where he was from?

Looks quite early to me - Victorian? I have an Edwardian Room Thermometer that looks a similar size, though has mercury rather than spirit in it. It gives a spread of "healthy" room temps, which sound very much on the cool side to me LOL! :rotfl: Can take a photo for you Rhiwy if you're interested?

they used thermometers for the room temp in dark rooms ....didnt mean a dip in chemicals one...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    :rotfl:

No joy with the badge. I wondered if it was some sort of sports' club - looks like grass, a net (as in tennis) & a coronet/crown but I've been unable to find anything :(

The thermometer .....
    I hate to admit that I can remember my mother having something very similar in a drawer when I was growing up. :o

There's 2 options as far as I can see
    1) It's a thermometer made by Collings of Bath (there were plenty of Collings in the area & some were watchmakers/jewellers who used to make all sorts of precision instruments like thermometers & barometers etc.) or
    2) It's a Collings Bath Thermometer. Used to check the heat of the bath before chucking Beloved Minor into the soapy surf. :D
    There are several wooden bath thermometers online but none by Collings.

Could be, maggie. I'm better at judging the age of clothes than I am the people in them :o

I was in the Brownies (Pixie :j) & then briefly in the Guides (Pimpernel) - just long enough to cause total chaos at camp & to decide I would be better making an honourable withdrawal before actually getting the boot :rotfl: .

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: SNAP !! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:THERES A SURPRISE...:rotfl:
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    [/COLOR]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: SNAP !! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:THERES A SURPRISE...:rotfl:

There exists something reaaallly spoooooky between me & you :beer::rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    I was judging age of girly guide by the collar... and by the look of the girlie as they had a "look" [from my antique hat collections..]:o

:rotfl::rotfl:im still laughing at our "time" served in brownies [prefer LIR's ;) ]... i was useless, darent tell my mum i was not up to thier standards and begrudgingly joined guides but lasted a week ...mum not amused having bought uniform....:mad: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

are there any "goody two shoes " that survived both full term amongst us ??:D
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: Love Ruby's curled lip look ;)
    How was she with the head collar?
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was chucked out of the guides and the scouts :D

Well, sort of, I was chucked out of a guide camp at 2am on a mixed camp and then asked to leave the scouts when we got home :)
    My Mum went loopy.
    Totally worth it though :D

I think the guide? in the picture must be from around the 1920's, but presumably she was the Brown Owl, or whatever they were called then.

Who's growing shark fin melons this year? I think it was IMH, who kindly gave me the seed, sorry if not, I deleted all the pm's.:o My 2 are about 15" long so far, but the weather hasn't been kind to them.
    How are others doing?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    :rotfl: Love Ruby's curled lip look ;)
    How was she with the head collar?

GREAT ...I HAVE A VIDEO BUT ITS SIDEWAYS AND I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO RIGHT IT TO PUT ON THE TUBE...:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure