We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that rhiwfield.

I used to go to a lot of auctions & I know the aftermath effect & the feelings that go along side it, but it is rather thrilling if addictive - heady stuff!
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    G'DAY FOLKS
    well ive been up since 6.30, driven to heathrow and back, got a big shop on way back, picked up animal feed, gone to "walk" the puppies, unpacked shopping and am now sat having a CTC moment !!:D
    BEFORE i go to sort out the holiday cottage, go to the PO, get my wild bird feed then..............collapse !!:rotfl:

all my "designer" stuff is drawing a lot of watchers on the bay so lets hope they buy !!;)

well done CTC for the coat, im guessing that was a good profit...;) :D way to go.....

it is 23 degrees here today :) mind you stuck in a jam on the M3 for 45 minutes was not brill.....:o

im sure iv missed some news i should congratulate/comiserate...so apologies...:D
    also welcome to "the other dave" :rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    P.S. my lounge looks like a charity deposit centre with 12 binbags full of designer clothes and shoes etc....:eek:
    i have to keep telling myself there is £££s in them there bags..:rotfl::rotfl:

take me forever to list the lot ....:o
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Alf, slow down, you're making me dizzy!

Now ladies, when do you think this girl's picture was taken.

And prob on same guides theme, what is this badge/shield?

Lastly, shed any light on this? It say COLLINGS BATH.

Alf, you can sort out your clothes once you've answered :p

And keeping off topic, the latest financial news coming out of the City reminds me why I left London. Bunch of crooks. I saw banks collapse due to this kind of cheating and carp (turn a blind eye) management. Nothing changes :(
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    edited 28 June 2012 at 2:56PM
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »

And keeping off topic, the latest financial news coming out of the City reminds me why I left London. Bunch of crooks. I saw banks collapse due to this kind of cheating and carp (turn a blind eye) management. Nothing changes :(

girl guide 1910/12
    thermometer looks like a darkroom one ??
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options

The photo looks early but the Guide uniform may bit a little later. The blue dress was introduced in the early 1920s & the tie was tied at one end (in a loop) as in your photo.
    http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/pdf/Uniforms%20in%20guiding%20posters.pdf

Still working on the badge - no more hints? :rotfl:
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options

Was in a lot of girl guide (and a few scout) items. DW's playing a blinder atm. Finding more upsides than I am. Pointed out that a Victorian inkstand that I was dissing was being held the wrong way up, and was actually a rather nice Victorian pen rest :o:o:o
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The photo looks early but the Guide uniform may bit a little later. The blue dress was introduced in the early 1920s & the tie was tied at one end (in a loop) as in your photo.
    http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/pdf/Uniforms%20in%20guiding%20posters.pdf

I wondered if it was the equivalent of a Queen's Guide today? So possibly a King's Guide? DD1 used to be in Guides, and also a Rainbow leader later, but I never really got to know that much about it all. Actually I was in Guides for a year, but had to give it up as was always late because it was after my violin lesson and the buses were always crowded on way home (London Rush Hour) so always in trouble for getting to Guides late! :o
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    thermometer looks like a darkroom one ??

I think it's just a fairly standard thermometer. It's mounted on wood, so would be useless for testing temp of chemicals. Maker Collins, and Bath is where he was from?

Looks quite early to me - Victorian? I have an Edwardian Room Thermometer that looks a similar size, though has mercury rather than spirit in it. It gives a spread of "healthy" room temps, which sound very much on the cool side to me LOL! :rotfl: Can take a photo for you Rhiwy if you're interested?
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2012 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Was in a lot of girl guide (and a few scout) items. DW's playing a blinder atm. Finding more upsides than I am. Pointed out that a Victorian inkstand that I was dissing was being held the wrong way up, and was actually a rather nice Victorian pen rest :o:o:o

:rotfl:

No joy with the badge. I wondered if it was some sort of sports' club - looks like grass, a net (as in tennis) & a coronet/crown but I've been unable to find anything :(

The thermometer .....
    I hate to admit that I can remember my mother having something very similar in a drawer when I was growing up. :o

There's 2 options as far as I can see
    1) It's a thermometer made by Collings of Bath (there were plenty of Collings in the area & some were watchmakers/jewellers who used to make all sorts of precision instruments like thermometers & barometers etc.) or
    2) It's a Collings Bath Thermometer. Used to check the heat of the bath before chucking Beloved Minor into the soapy surf. :D
    There are several wooden bath thermometers online but none by Collings.
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    I wondered if it was the equivalent of a Queen's Guide today? So possibly a King's Guide? DD1 used to be in Guides, and also a Rainbow leader later, but I never really got to know that much about it all. Actually I was in Guides for a year, but had to give it up as was always late because it was after my violin lesson and the buses were always crowded on way home (London Rush Hour) so always in trouble for getting to Guides late! :o

Could be, maggie. I'm better at judging the age of clothes than I am the people in them :o

I was in the Brownies (Pixie :j) & then briefly in the Guides (Pimpernel) - just long enough to cause total chaos at camp & to decide I would be better making an honourable withdrawal before actually getting the boot :rotfl: .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure