We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

CK’s school run moan!

CKhalvashi
CKhalvashi Posts: 12,134 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
I’m currently sat in a school car park having done the school run.

Time with engine on: 1h06
Average speed: 12mph
Average MPG: 17.4

This is in a diesel that will easily pull 50 on the motorway! (S-Max 2.2 TDCi Auto)

I know I’m only doing this once every 2 days (share with neighbour), but that’s bloomin’ ridiculous!

Anyone else have the same thing? :mad:
💙💛 💔
«13456

Comments

  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    I’m currently sat in a school car park having done the school run.

    Time with engine on: 1h06
    Average speed: 12mph
    Average MPG: 17.4

    This is in a diesel that will easily pull 50 on the motorway! (S-Max 2.2 TDCi Auto)

    I know I’m only doing this once every 2 days (share with neighbour), but that’s bloomin’ ridiculous!

    Anyone else have the same thing? :mad:

    Too much traffic on the roads these days despite fuel prices - I blame the 4 car families.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,134 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    reeac wrote: »
    Too much traffic on the roads these days despite fuel prices - I blame the 4 car families.

    We use no more than 2 of the cars at any one time. The ’11’ is essentially a company spare more than anything else; I think it’s done about 16000 miles (my S-Max has 37491 as I pull on the drive)

    CK
    💙💛 💔
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,134 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 February 2012 at 10:36AM
    TIME: 09.14
    Time with engine on: 1h29
    Average speed: 19mph
    Average MPG: 29.8

    That’s better, also!
    💙💛 💔
  • Sell a couple of your cars and pay someone else to drive them to school.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,134 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Sell a couple of your cars and pay someone else to drive them to school.

    The black S-Max is a spare company car, and the SC is my bit of summer fun!

    I see what you’re saying, but we have things as we like them here.

    On the policy we have, it’s only around £200/year more expensive to insure the other 2 as well!
    💙💛 💔
  • CKhalvashi wrote: »

    I see what you’re saying, but we have things as we like them here.

    Except for the school run...

    As you say, at least it's only every other day.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If this was on the "families" board we'd be wondering why you have to drive your kids so far?
    Can't they go to their catchment school - if too far / unsafe to walk, transport provided?
    If there are problems with school transport, are the local authority dealing with it?
    Or is this the price you pay for choosing a school farther away and/or driving your kids yourself?

    Incidentally, I heard that in Herts. morning traffic goes down by 33% in the holidays, so you are obviously not alone in making such choices in a populous county where most kids can easily get to school! Your county councillors should really be dealing with this - I know your problem is more short-term than that, but it is really ridiculous!
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you can afford to run and insure 4 cars, do you really have to worry about mpg ?

    As for using no more than 2 cars at any one time, it would be pretty difficult to do anything else wouldn't it ?
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2012 at 10:54AM
    jackyann wrote: »
    If this was on the "families" board we'd be wondering why you have to drive your kids so far?
    Can't they go to their catchment school - if too far / unsafe to walk, transport provided?
    If there are problems with school transport, are the local authority dealing with it?
    Or is this the price you pay for choosing a school farther away and/or driving your kids yourself?

    Incidentally, I heard that in Herts. morning traffic goes down by 33% in the holidays, so you are obviously not alone in making such choices in a populous county where most kids can easily get to school! Your county councillors should really be dealing with this - I know your problem is more short-term than that, but it is really ridiculous!

    It certainly is.
    Our local catchment school is 14 miles away, school transport stops at 16.
    It costs us £400 a year for a bus pass to get ours in for sixth form.
    (In the end, she drove her own car in when she passed her test, petrol worked out to be a similar cost, so she was one of the 33% as well)
    If it took the op an hour to drive 12 miles, I don't think walking is going to be an option for them either.
    Not everyone lives around the corner.
  • i live in suffolk and the closest high school is 11 miles away
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.