We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

virgin broadband 40gb limit

Options
what does the virgin broadband 40gb downloading limit mean, i watch a lot of videos on youtube does virgin broadband count that as downloading.

Comments

• mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    everything you do online is counted towards the 40GB limit (including uploads)
  • ammunition
    Options
    I swear virgin is unlimited d/l now
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    ammunition wrote:
    I swear virgin is unlimited d/l now

Under the Acceptable Usage Policy
    ' Just as a guideline, if you download more than around 40 Gigabytes (GB), we'll post you a letter and send an email to ask you to reduce your usage. If, over time, your usage doesn't fall within this level, we'll call you and chat through our options which may, in extreme circumstances, including suspending or disconnecting your service.'

T*ssers, advertising this in huge writing as UNLIMITED!
  • dringo
    Options
    does it matter what time of day you download, if i downloaded mostly during the night instead of daytime would that make any difference to the amount i could download using virgin brondband.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My current 10meg d/l with (formerly) NTL offered unlimited download, which as far as I know are still my terms and conditions, if this means that it has now been capped, would that not be breaching my T&C. I easily exceed 40gig, and is one of the main reasons I exceeded it, so as to include unlimited d/l's.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • lipidicman
    Options
    dringo wrote:
    does it matter what time of day you download, if i downloaded mostly during the night instead of daytime would that make any difference to the amount i could download using virgin brondband.

Not with virgin. With others they say you have to keep it down at peak times. With virgin it is 40
  • lipidicman
    Options
    marleyboy wrote:
    My current 10meg d/l with (formerly) NTL offered unlimited download, which as far as I know are still my terms and conditions, if this means that it has now been capped, would that not be breaching my T&C. I easily exceed 40gig, and is one of the main reasons I exceeded it, so as to include unlimited d/l's.

They probably reserve the right to change it, but they would usually inform you. If you do not know it is probably because you have not read the terms and therefore you may not have noticed if they have changed it (do you read all the letters from them?)
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've double checked on this, as well as it advertised as unlimited, I have phoned and queried it, and have been assured that it is unlimited. (I always read all the letters from them ;) )
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • lipidicman
    Options
    Cool, on any deal the words to look for are 'FAIR USAGE POLICY'
  • jswaminathanuk
    Options
    Well, If you take Virgin media (ntl / telewest) there is no limit if you take over bt line then yes there is a limit.
    hope this help.
    Also if I proved to be wrong the n please update me as I am also virginmedia (telewest) though hardly use 20 gb but still.
    Cheers
    Swami
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills