B&Q Kitchen - complaint/compensation

Options
In October 2010 I started the process of buying a B&Q kitchen. The problems began straight away with poor planning which resulted in the plans being totally wrong at installation. The catalogue of incompetence included, wrong parts being delivered, dates for delivery not happening, kitchen fitters arriving unannounced or parts arriving without fitters. Taking days off of work when nobody arrives with no reason. By December 2011 we were still awaiting 'snagging' issues to be addressed, with further days wrongly booked and wasted. Finally our complaint with the above and poorly installed cooker hood and tiles we have received a letter from B&Q putting forward their breakdown to compensation. Full amount £976.00. I am disgusted by this offer especially with the breakdown for example showing 4 week delay £20 per week and failed visits at £50 per day.

To cap it off they wanted to make this offer in part by reducing our credit agreement to them for half of the money. WE DO NOT HAVE A CREDIT AGREEMENT. We paid for the kitchen in full at the time of purchase....more the pity.

Any thoughts please on this horrible saga of events

Comments

• panchenlama
    Options
    make a counter offer to them (they will be listening) and so long as it is sensible they will try to knock it down a bit and then pay it just to close the complaint.
    As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with the above, they should, hopefully, listen to a sensible counter offer.If all else fails threaten them with Watchdog again. They got a slating for exactly this kind of thing about 14 months ago, the worst selection of examples of exactly this kind of thing I have seen from a major name.

They will, I am sure, be anxious to avoid a repeat...........:D
  • Thanks for advice, the trouble with compensation is arriving at a figure that is sensible without being greedy. Seeing their breakdown to the costs occured in their eyes include very low amounts of £20 per week for a 4 week delay and £50 per visit that didn't happen. This in itself makes me cross when I think of all the waiting around and not having a kitchen complete during this time.

To put forward a sensible offer, it would be good to know what that should be???
  • cddc
    Options
    Without knowing how much you paid in total it is difficult to say what would be reasonable in both your eyes and theirs. Do they accept that the cooker hood is poorly fitted and the tiling is sub-standard?
  • Yes they do accept liability for the cooker hood and sunstandard tiling.

The kitchen cost us £16,000 in total.
  • ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options

:wall:

I dont know what to say.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • aarchk
    aarchk Posts: 479 Forumite
    Options
    have you tried speaking to Russ?? Post an unhappy customer comment on B&Qs facebook page and he'll contact you to sort it out.
  • cddc
    Options
    Yes they do accept liability for the cooker hood and sunstandard tiling.

:eek:

Then I agree you should really be getting more than they are offering you. I would be trying for at least 10% of total paid, if not 20%! Pay 16k and still not left with a satisfactory job after a year:mad:
  • cossie23
    Options
    I had a very similar problem to you with B&Q. I eventually went through the Furniture Ombudsman. It took 13 months of letters to and fro but i eventually got the majority of money I wanted. Was a horrendous experience and I'll never use B&Q for anything ever again. Private Message me if you need more details.
    Cheers
  • Birdy12
    Birdy12 Posts: 589 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2012 at 11:17PM
    Options
    Yes they do accept liability for the cooker hood and sunstandard tiling.

Good God, did you buy B&Q's entire stock in the store? I'm amazed B&Q stock a kitchen range that expensive, even with the inclusion of fitting prices, tiling and white goods.

Put it this way, if I had a budget of that amount, B&Q wouldn't be my first port of call.
    It's wouldn't have not wouldn't of, shouldn't have not shouldn't of and couldn't have not couldn't of. Geddit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure