Cheap Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• pinkbexy34
    Options
    Thanks Quentin!

Yes I am aware of the SORN, I will pick up a application today. My insurance quoted me a reasonably good insurance price, do you think if I ring them up and say I will be renewing in September, they will honour that quote until then?

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Always worth asking them. In any case, spend a little time shopping round the market before you buy a new policy.
  • pinkbexy34
    Options
    I did have a look around and found a cheaper quote, told Diamond and they matched it. So hopefully they will keep that quote for me!
  • givenupwork
    givenupwork Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a site which tells you what job is cheaper

My dayghters are both students but also sales assistant and clerical officer respectively. Is there student status or their job title cheaper?

I'm retired now, does that affect my insurance risk and therefore cost?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    There is a tool on MSE you can play with to find the cheapest job title.

But your daughters will have to disclose their part time jobs as well as being students.

It depends what you have retired from whether or not your premium will go down. You need to inform your insurer now, and any change in premium will be pro rata till the end of the policy.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I got the cheapest quote this year via gocompare - first alternative. I have ncd protection but apart from that always take the bare minimum of extra options to keep costs down. I called first alternative to confirm my policy and he gave the the whole sales spiel on hire car, legal protection, etc which all adds up a good £60 on top.
    The sales pitch for the legal protection was that I am not covered for cost of lawyers in case of non fault claims, something that no win no fee companies can't cover me for. Is this correct and is it worth paying a slight extra for the legal protection for peace of mind ?
  • KitKat00
    KitKat00 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Admiral did the best deal for me this year. But one of my friends told me she took another route. She used this site to get a loan against her car. Comes with conditions of course but she said it worked for her. Don't know anything about it myself but if its any help to anyone...www. loan against car .co.uk and it'll come up
  • ronekenn
    ronekenn Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    There are many vehicle insurance companies and what people want these days is the cheapest car insurance company which would be affordable, covering the fields required by the person. It is rather recommended to compare the quotes of the insurance companies so that at the time of insuring a person should be convinced of his choice.
    Be insured and be safe
  • Rayla
    Rayla Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll tell you why all your insurance premiums are so high - I am currently being "sued" for whiplash claim by 5 young men who hit my car - on purpose - 18 months ago and they have just decided they all have whiplash! My insurance company - Direct Line - are quite happy to pay them out between £10,000 - £15,000 EACH plus £5,000 - £8,000 EACH SOLICITOR. They do not seem to be taking our part as Policyholder or refuting this fraudulent claim. It is cheaper for them to accept it, it seems, than fight it, so this will go on and on whilst the fraudsters are allowed to get away with daylight robbery, they will. Needless to say my insurance premium has gone through the roof after losing my NCD! WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?!
    NOTE TO ALL - DO NOT USE DIRECT LINE
    I am thinking of reporting this to Watchdog
  • Brains1969
    Options
    Rayla wrote: »
    I'll tell you why all your insurance premiums are so high - I am currently being "sued" for whiplash claim by 5 young men who hit my car - on purpose - 18 months ago and they have just decided they all have whiplash! My insurance company - Direct Line - are quite happy to pay them out between £10,000 - £15,000 EACH plus £5,000 - £8,000 EACH SOLICITOR. They do not seem to be taking our part as Policyholder or refuting this fraudulent claim. It is cheaper for them to accept it, it seems, than fight it, so this will go on and on whilst the fraudsters are allowed to get away with daylight robbery, they will. Needless to say my insurance premium has gone through the roof after losing my NCD! WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?!
    NOTE TO ALL - DO NOT USE DIRECT LINE
    I am thinking of reporting this to Watchdog

I phoned Direct Line after receiving an unbelievably high quote from them £1695 for a Honda Civic 2.2 CTDI aged 42. I've been driving for over 22 years with 1 claim which wiped out my NCD (I've since built it back up to 6 years).

The Killer conversation with one of their Reps went like this:

Me: "High i've been on your site to get a quote for my car and it's extremely high?"
    DL Rep: "Ah I can tell from your accent that you are from Manchester. Our company doesn't look favourably on Manchester Post Codes, if i was you i'd go elsewhere"

After a moment of silence the line went dead.

I think that pretty much sums up this company :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport