We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying for funerals

Options

Comments

• mancitychick
    Options
    My Dad's funeral last year cost £7500. (The council kindly charged me double for the plot and double for the digging of the plot as I don't live in the same town!!). This figure doesn't include the cost of the wake, just purely the bill from the funeral directors. I am yet to buy a head stone so theirs another cost to add to this at some point.

I never in a million years dreamed a funeral would cost so much, it has certainly made me think about putting something in place for my own funeral, despite being only in my early 30's.
  • sagalout1954
    Options
    mancitychick - there's another little financial surprise waiting in store for you mcc, Local Authorities charge a 'memorial permit' fee for the privilege of allowing a memorial stone to be put on the plot that you've purchased! Ours charge £96 if we want to put a cremation stone down, not sure if it's even more for a grave headstone.

Lost2 - to be absolutely fair, all the costs of a funeral AREN'T for the funeral parlour, our bill included crematorium and ministers fees which totalled £727.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    insurance or not at least make a will, to save some heart ache, we are dealing with the FIL intestate estate at the moment (ironic when he seemed healthy and his ex wife been ill for year's) hubby is an only child and is doing what he think's his dad would want but it would have been easier on him if he had left some instruction's.

I would never want my kids to have to deal with what we have been dealing with over this last week, clearing a property has been hard enough, if he had a funeral in place it would have been once less stress to deal with, a sudden death has brought home to us how easy these things can happen, so as soon as dad is sorted we are sorting out funeral plans for us to make it as easy as possible for each other or the kids when the time comes
  • gaynormurray
    Options
    My hubby works for a funeral home and people do not realise what expenses are involved. Not all the bill will be for the funeral directors, the drs fees, flowers, hospital fees etc all add up. You dont actually have to have a coffin, hearse and ceremony etc. You can make all the arrangements yourself, but of course not many people do! My father died recently and I was shown a book of coffins to choose from, but I hadnt a clue what the prices were, if my hubby hadnt been there I could have run up a huge bill on the coffin alone. The problem is that when someone close to you dies, you are at your lowest ebb and unlikely to ask the questions required. We asked for family flowers only and we all just put a single rose on the coffin, dad was cremated so the squirrels would have eaten the flowers anyway, and they are only left for a few days before being disposed of. I bought a lovely rose and put it in our garden with dads ashes, as my mum says, dad had only been to the crem once in his life and then he didnt want to go! So scattering the ashes at the crem was an expense we didnt have. We have no plaque or anything, as we feel dad is in our hearts not in the crem grounds, and they do charge silly money for plaques, remembrance books or roses planted, and they have to be renewed every 5 years! Dad would have hated money being wasted on such things. He did have enough money put away for the funeral, plus some insurances. There are more and more council funerals being held now, where the family cant pay so the council pay.
  • rochja
    rochja Posts: 564 Forumite
    Options
    I just keep a wooden boat and a pile of kindling in the back garden....
    Life is like a box of chocolates - drop it and the soft centres splash everywhere
  • dorsetlady67
    Options
    I think everyone should think about what they want from their funeral & try & arrange payments before hand or get a ball part figure & save towards it.
    I feel this would save alot of hurt & grief at the time I go,everyone will know what i want & hopefully I would have paid for it...

Im 44 & in good health but I dont want my kids saddled with tending a grave for yrs & I would like something a bit nice & out of the ordinary & something/somewhere that will put a smile on my families face when they visit me they will think 'typical of The Mrs or mum-etc.

So im just looking into 'cardboards box coffins' ie biodegradable,there is some amazingly beautifull coffins,to my suprise.
    http://www.greenfieldcreationscoffins.co.uk/

I have also decided I want a natural burial ground ie a lovely meadow or scattered over Exmoor [as I frequent there alot] & I think I may have found the perfect thing..http://www.naturaldeath.org.uk/index.php?page=find-a-natural-burial-site
    In life try to be nice to others,you never know who you are going to meet on your way down...
  • ticktack_2
    ticktack_2 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    My in-laws have just paid in full for their funerals at the local funeral director, so even if they are here for another 10 years there will still be nothing more to pay. Maybe you could ask around and see if there is a similar scheme in your town.

What happens to their money if the funeral company gets into trouble and goes into administration?
  • ticktack_2
    Options
    I think those 'over 50s life insurance no medical plans' - you mean the kind endorsed by some ageing celeb or other? - are something of a con. Read the small print at the bottom of the advert.

Put your money aside into a good savings account and leave it to grow. I agree with PennyForThem.

Unfortunately, at present interest rates, money put into a savings account may not keep up with inflation. I think that's the point of the funeral plans, and that's why they seem so expensive. But at least you have certainty. I've changed my mind and am going to go for one.
  • ticktack_2
    Options
    Broadwood wrote: »
    You could opt to avoid funeral costs almost entirely by donating your body to science. I saw a TV programme on this subject a few weeks ago. Both my paternal grandparents went down this route. There were no funerals but memorial services were held about six weeks after their deaths.

http://www.funeralinspirations.co.uk/information/Body-Donation.html

Good idea, but what if your body's not accepted? You still need a fallback plan.
  • ticktack_2
    Options
    whitesatin wrote: »
    We have no funeral insurance and it will just have to come out of our estate when the time comes. As for waiting, that won't be my problem and, let's face it, I have spent a lifetime looking after my grown up kids. Let them put it on their credit cards, they will be quids in, in the end.

But --speaking of course of my own situation only -- the financial drain in between death and probate could be very hard to cope with.

It's not just the funeral costs. I'm racking my brains trying to decide what kind of place to move into for my final years. Any mortgage will have to be paid by my kids -- at least the interest -- until they can sell it. I don't want to rent, as that will diminish what I can leave them, and those shared-ownership schemes seem a bad idea -- they leave your relatives paying rent AND mortgage interest until the place can be sold. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure