We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying for funerals

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    But if it has to come out of your estate ie your house sale, what about the funeral directors payment if your house doesnt sell for 6 months.

They will wait - they are accustomed to it.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    My in-laws have just paid in full for their funerals at the local funeral director, so even if they are here for another 10 years there will still be nothing more to pay. Maybe you could ask around and see if there is a similar scheme in your town.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My in-laws have just paid in full for their funerals at the local funeral director, so even if they are here for another 10 years there will still be nothing more to pay. Maybe you could ask around and see if there is a similar scheme in your town.

But will your local funeral director be around in 10 years time? Probably - but there is a risk.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

My mum and dad have just done this too. They shopped around the local, well-established, undertakers (established firms are generally pretty secure - it's not like the demand for their services is ever going to go away; whatever the economic climate...); they one they wanted was a bit too pricey, but they one they went for is a very reputable business. They have given me and my brother a copy each of all the details about the arrangements and the hymns they'd like and the burial plans, etc. My mum is 69 and my dad is 65.

It's not the jolliest of things to arrange or discuss, but there is a certain reassurance in knowing that plans are in place whenever the time should come - be it days or decades in the future.

Best wishes to you. x
  • sagalout1954
    sagalout1954 Posts: 418 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    My plans are well and truly in place with a 'letter of wishes', prayers, hymns, flowers, songs to play - the lot and no margin for uncertainty, not a legal document but family know precisely what I want.

As for the cash to pay for it, in the first instance the estate pays. If there isn't enough then a grant of up to £700 can be applied for by qualifying relatives. Nowhere near enough as a relatively cheap funeral just cost us nearly 3k, no b idea what was wanted as no discussions/instructions in advance of an inevitable event for all of us sooner or later!

If your estate is wrapped up in property, it's easy for executors or beneficiaries to get a loan against it to pay.

If none of your family have the dosh, or are willing to stump up (or no family), then the state will give you a 'bargain bucket' funeral - there aren't loads of 'no money' bodies lying around after all so someone is paying to stick them in the ground. Won't matter after all, you'll be dead.

I don't think people should consider going without now just to cover their eventual death.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have no next of kin. I do have some estate so if there is anything left I guess it will come out of that. But ideally I hope to spend it all. I won't be caring what happens with my body as I'll be dead.
  • ab.da54
    ab.da54 Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    Options
    if you die and you have money in an account with a bank your executor (have you drawn up a will?????) can present the funeral director's bill as the cost of a funeral comes out of the estate. At present a cremation may cost 3K - threads on this forum suggest it will rise substanitally.

I would say that what your relatives need is a funeral plan - what you want done, what you want sung, music you like, what you want done with your body - cremation, burial.

Do you want your ashes scattered? Where? Do you want to be buried? Where? What do you want on your headstone? Do you want a headstone or a tree?

Just to re-iterate: as long as you have the funds and the invoice is presented to the bank the bank will pay as it is IHT deductable and seen as a cost to the estate.

(no not a solictor - just someone who has had to deal with a death of a spouse)

Thank you for this informative post, PennyForThem.
    Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.
  • ab.da54
    ab.da54 Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    Options
    I think those 'over 50s life insurance no medical plans' - you mean the kind endorsed by some ageing celeb or other? - are something of a con. Read the small print at the bottom of the advert.

Agree, margaretclare.

I have looked in to certain insurance plans but haven't been impressed when you get down to the nitty gritty of it all.
    Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,517 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My dad had a pre paid plan, I think we paid about £2500 for it about 4 years before he died. When he died I just took the plan to the Co Op where it was taken out, they just gave me a book with things to choose (and I wasn't limited to just the basics) and everything was covered in the bill apart from a second funeral car . Originally we had thought one would be enough, but decided to pay for a second.

I think the total cost of what we had was around £3200, so even in those few years dad saved money.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lost2
    Lost2 Posts: 15,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2012 at 12:11AM
    Options
    my nephew sadly passed away last November from an ear infection, he was only 19 so it's not just us oldies that die.
    my sister had no insurance as you never think of the younger ones going before you. she had 3 cars and he was cremated
    they arrange everything for my sister and BIL and it cost them £3000 as they don't have a lot of money instead of flowers a lot of people gave money the funeral people also allowed them to pay instalments but only because they had to put down over
    £1000+

I personally think it is wrong the amount funeral parlours charge

also what I have done is taken out an ISA to help pay for my funeral as I think life insurance is a rip off
    Sealed Pot Number 018 🎄2009..£950.50 🎄2010..£256 🎄 2011..£526 🎄2012..£548.80 🎄2013...£758.88🎄2014...£510 🎄2015...£604.78 🎄2016...£704.50 🎄2017...£475 🎄2018...£1979.12 🎄2019...£408.88🎄2020...£1200.63...🎄2021…£588 🎄2022 £672… 🎄2023 £3,783.90 🎄2024…£
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure