Black Holes

Options

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    I do realise that my GP is the best place to go. I don't even know why I started this thread. I think it's because I am very scared they will find something majorly wrong with me. I rarely get ill and normally only go to the doctors every few years for a quick check up.

How soon next week? If you have another "episode" then go to A&E.

I don't mean to worry you but if (and I mean just 'if') there is something wrong then you don't want to waste valuable time waiting for appointments - those extra days could be critical.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    :hello:
  • Gazing_On_Sunsets
    Options
    good luck. Don't be scared and don't google. I had something similar...was just vitamin deficiency. GP will sort you out!
  • lilibet1
    lilibet1 Posts: 820 Forumite
    Options
    hi there

I really do feel for you and for any people that you spend alot of time with! My husband has a dreadful memory and it really does get me down. He has recently been tested for huntingdons disease (which he doesnt have and was only tested for it as its in his family and NOT because of his memory problems) and he has seen two different nueorogists and they do the most simple of tests to start off with to see if they think you have any nuerolgy problems so if you find yourself having any of these problems in the next day or so then i would really urge you to go to A & E and that is not to scare you. Its just that it could be something that could be important. And to reassure you, my husband has had a brain scan too (only got the results this week and its all ok) he really does just have a dreadful memory.

If at all possible you could perhaps get an emergency app at your surgery this afternoon?

Good luck xx
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like MCI, but I am no doctor, who can give you a more accurate diagnostic.
    MCI is a transitional zone between age-related memory loss and Alzheimer's disease. A person is often said to have MCI when he or she has Alzheimer's-like memory loss while the mind remains "sharp" otherwise.

• The person with MCI is able to think clearly, solve problems, learn new information, and communicate despite relatively minor memory loss.
    • Memory loss in MCI is more severe than purely age-related memory loss.
    There are other types of MCI, but the type involving short-term memory loss is the most common. Medical professionals call this type “amnestic” MCI. Amnestic has the same root as the word amnesia, meaning memory loss.

We are still learning about MCI. We don’t know how common it is, for example.

• About 5 million people in the United States have Alzheimer's disease, but we don’t know how many have MCI.
    • Part of the problem is that the boundaries between age-related memory loss, MCI, and Alzheimer's disease have not been clearly defined.
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/possible_early_dementia/article_em.htm

Not wanting to freak you out over it, I would advise you dont read too much into it until you see your doctor.

Good luck ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    Get to the GP as soon as possible. No one on this site should be second guessing what you may or may not have.
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    It sounds like MCI, but I am no doctor, who can give you a more accurate diagnostic.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/possible_early_dementia/article_em.htm

Not wanting to freak you out over it, I would advise you dont read too much into it until you see your doctor.

Good luck ;)

So why suggest anything then? Couldn't you just have said "take care and good luck"?
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I sympathise hun - having a few probs with my memory at the moment.
    My GP says there are many causes of memory loss - and not to jump to the worst conclusions straight away - in fact the first thing he asked me was 'Are you drinking enough fluids?) apparently dehydration can cause memory loss!
    So can High Blood Pressure and Stress!
    and many other things - I do hope its something simple which can be sorted out easily!
    good luck and post back and let us know how you get on!
    (I was tempted to add 'if you remember to' - but the PC brigade will jump all over me - we are NOT allowed to have a laff on here!)
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 February 2012 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I really do appreciate the support.

I haven't googled because I'm sure I could scare myself even more than I am already.

The thing about the appointment is that I know this is set (it is like it is 'cemented' in my mind). I'm very good even now of remembering appointments or meetings and never miss anything of this nature even without writing down reminders.

The funny thing is that I'm still being asked by friends to join their quiz team (I don't join them very often......can't be bothered sitting there all night unless the prize is something special). I can still recall and am a fantastic font of all sorts of useless information that most people seem to miss out on. I've also always had, and still do, an excellent mathmatical head (numbers have always 'sung' to me in my mind, and still do, when I do mental arithmatic...........doing equations or sums is only a matter of putting the song together in my mind).

I would like to say it is only fleeting things I forget, but the more I look into this. I can't say this is true.

As much as I enjoy my occasional pint and spliff, I do agree about laying off for the moment (untill I get some answers from the doctor). If this was the answer in total, it would be the very easy option for me seeing as I spend most of my time taking nothing except for food and water (I normally sit in the evening drinking nothing but pints of chilled water after dinner).
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    As much as I enjoy my occasional pint and spliff, I do agree about laying off for the moment (untill I get some answers from the doctor). If this was the answer in total, it would be the very easy option for me seeing as I spend most of my time taking nothing except for food and water (I normally sit in the evening drinking nothing but pints of chilled water after dinner).

Food for thought:

http://www.idmu.co.uk/cannabis-memory.htm

"The effects of cannabis on short-term memory are long-established, users consistently perform worse than matched controls on laboratory tests of memory."
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Rex.

I know that you're probably worried sick at the moment but try not to fret too much. The diary idea is a good one, as is asking your friends for specific details, the more information that you can give to your GP, the better.

It sounds as though you don't really see your doctor often so he/she will not know you well. And sadly, some GP's are better than others, if your GP doesn't listen to you, or tries to fob you off, telling you that it's your age or (if you're a woman) your "hormones", do seek a second opinion. If this is worrying you, then you need to find a doctor who will listen to you. Don't be intimidated and don't be afraid to insist on seeing someone else if you are not satisfied. Taking a friend along is also a good idea, trying to explain symptoms such as yours can be difficult, especially in ten minutes!

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport