We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

have i wasted my money?

our 'lawn' has disappeared completely over the past few years thanks to kids and a giant dog tearing it up. last week i'd had enough of cleaning up mud in the house and rushed out to get grass seed. i partitioned off half the garden for the dog and seeded the other half. nearly a week later it doesn't show any signs of growing. have i planted too early in the year? is there anything i can do? it cost me a tenner for the seed so i really hope i haven't wasted my money with my impatience to have grass :cry: :embarasse

Comments

• navig8r
    navig8r Posts: 553 Forumite
    You have jumped the gun a little, March /April is the time for spring sowing when things have warmed up a little..I know with GW spring is getting earlier so you may get lucky but if the don't you can rest in knowledge that you have helped to feed the wild birds.:D

Dave
  • oh poo!! i'll be looking out for very fat birds then.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    There is a chance it might still take, but more than likely it is a little too cold.

Keep it moist and hope for the best.

As stated, it is a little early to lay the seed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jonjulie
    Jonjulie Posts: 235 Forumite
    Good tip i was given by a famous sporting groundsman was to get some sterile top soil in buckets and pre-germinate in your shed or greenhouse.
    Get 4 or 5 buckets,mix a few handfuls of seed in each,turning every few days,when spreading on lawn add just a little more of the un-germinated seed.
    Did this with my lawns,works a treat,and with the early part of the year you are buying time.
  • Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Jonjulie wrote:
    Good tip i was given by a famous sporting groundsman was to get some sterile top soil in buckets and pre-germinate in your shed or greenhouse.
    Get 4 or 5 buckets,mix a few handfuls of seed in each,turning every few days,when spreading on lawn add just a little more of the un-germinated seed.
    Did this with my lawns,works a treat,and with the early part of the year you are buying time.

That sounds a great idea... one question... How long do you keep the buckets of seeds in your greenhouse before spreading on the lawn?
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • navig8r
    navig8r Posts: 553 Forumite
    Good idea if for patching or small areas and to steal a week or two I would have thought but when trying to cheat nature, nature sometimes bite back and if this is done too early there is a chance of severe frosts burning off the tender shoots which would not usually be that advanced but for mans intervention which is why nature does not let things start to grow until conditions are right.
    There are several firms that sell pre germinated seeds which is not a new idea as it was believed to practiced by the Romans.If you really want to have a quick lawn ,lay some turf in late Match or early April ..more expensive but you will be able to use it carefully by mid June .

Dave
  • Jonjulie
    Jonjulie Posts: 235 Forumite
    Once you put them somewhere,dry/light...just keep an eye on them turning every few days,normally between 7/10 days you will see the seed germinating,make sure you do keep it turned every few days,so all the growth is not at the top.
    As for the weather just try to pick a window in the forecast where you have 4/5 days frost free,with it already germinated it will soon take.
    Any real bald patches just make sure you scuff them up loosening the soil,gives the germinated seeds chance to get there roots in.
  • so will the seed be dead after i've chucked it on the ground, or will it grow in a few weeks time? (be patient with me - gardening is not my thing :confused: ) :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure