Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz

Comments

• I ordered a phone in December: 3 months today exactly. Did not receive this Christmas present!
    I pestered them for such a long time and never got a proper response. Heard a load of people say that they didn't get their money back so I didn't want to ask for a refund and I was prepared to wait for the phone, expecting it to turn up in January some time.
    Only 3 days ago did I get a refund that I decided to ask for.
    Just let me warn you, you're gambling on it if you buy an item with this site. Some people have had no trouble at all, but when you do, you'll find it difficult to get out of it.
  • After making a purchase with Simply Electronics Ltd. for over £500 I needed to cancel my order straight away.
    I was sent an email confirming that my request was 'being processed' and then a follow up email stating that I would receive a refund 'shortly'.
    Then every week, for the past 4wks!, I have contacted them by phone and email requesting a refund but I just get generic replies stating that 'my refund is being processed'. When I call the 0115 number (Nottingham area code)I get put through to Hong Kong! where their 'customer service' is based. I have called over 5 times and always get excuses stating 'my refund is being processed'. If I try to escalate the matter and ask to speak to a manager or line manager, all I get is abuse/ sarcasm and more excuses.
    Thus company is obviously fraudulent as they are not interested in customer service and want to keep hold of your money for as long as possible. I have obviously taken out a fraud case with my credit card company, but this all takes time and patience.
    I not that some customers have left positive reviews on forums about this company. I would advise you to ignore them as they are probably generated by Simply Electronics as part of their wider scam.
    STAY WELL CLEAR. Do not be blinded by their cheaper deals!!!
  • This company continues to scam us.

I ordered a phone from Simply Electronics but had a change of plan, so a few days later I looked at my order status and was informed that the item was not yet despatched.
    I emailed the company stating that I wanted to cancel my order. Within 24 hours I received a reply in which confirmation was given that the item had not yet been sent, but also requesting that I confirm my desire to cancel the order. I was also instructed that, ‘should they not be able to stop the order from being despatched in time, that I should simply refuse delivery, and once it arrived back at their depot they would refund me’. In hindsight I believe this meant that the item had already left whatever country it was in (certainly not the UK) and could therefore not be stopped.
    I replied immediately, confirming my request to cancel.

The next day I received an email from a different department, kindly informing me that the item was now en route and in Holland, and stated the anticipated delivery date.
    The item arrived 15 days after I had ordered it but the courier didn’t wait but half a minute for me to get to the door before disappearing, thus preventing me from refusing delivery. Nothing was put through my door but an hour or so later the delivery company sent me an email informing me that the item was with my neighbour.

The bag and inner protective wrapping were both still intact, but the ‘void if broken’ seal was indeed broken and a piece of green tape placed over the sticker, so evidently the phone had already been opened, and was effectively a used item.

My subsequent attempts to contact the person who dealt with the order cancellation have received no replies.

I am still waiting for a non-automatic response to my complaint and desire to return the item for a full refund.

I am, however, nervous about returning this item as I fear they will falsely accuse me of being the person who broke the seal, and use that argument to justify not refunding me.

Any pennies one might save by shopping here will be overpaid in stress, frustration, disappointment, and dissatisfaction.

AVOID THEM!
  • Not a lot more to add other than more of the same. If you want problems use them.
  • ty-dapa
    ty-dapa Posts: 1 Newbie
    I used them. Goods arrived - eventually. Trying to cancel the order seemed to move them along. I cancelled the order after waiting 3 weeks, and, lo and behold, the goods arrived 2 days later.
    I had found them by following a sponsored link on Amazon, so I have just emailed Amazon suggesting they avoid endorsing them in this fashion.
  • law2563
    law2563 Posts: 1 Newbie
    After reading the posts regarding this company I was nervous after having ordered Apple TV for my grandsons birthday present. However the goods arrived when they were promised. I don't know if the package, (which was well wrapped, given the contents) came from Hong Kong or not but I certainly had no Customs charges to pay once it arrived. I ended up paying £20 less than if I bought the item from Apple direct. So credit where it's due - I would recommend this supplier :)
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    law2563 wrote: »
    After reading the posts regarding this company I was nervous after having ordered Apple TV for my grandsons birthday present. However the goods arrived when they were promised. I don't know if the package, (which was well wrapped, given the contents) came from Hong Kong or not but I certainly had no Customs charges to pay once it arrived. I ended up paying £20 less than if I bought the item from Apple direct. So credit where it's due - I would recommend this supplier :)

really? .
  • BaldacchinoR
    BaldacchinoR Posts: 135
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 June 2014 at 5:41AM
    Apart from the Distance Selling Regs. which should apply if the seller is trading in the UK, and especially if they use a UK website address; apart from the fact that you have not received the item and are thus entitled to a refund anyway; and that you are entitled to a refund if you have been defrauded; HSBC are not doing what they should for you, so I would advise you to change your bank.

You should tell HSBC you want to make a chargeback claim, if the phone cost less than £100. They should refund you and then pursue the seller themselves.

If it cost more than £100, you should have paid by credit card as you would also have had (in addition to the chargeback facility), S75 (Consumer Credit Act) protection and claimed from the credit card company who would normally refund you.
  • trukdiver wrote: »
    I've bought a camera and a lens from them in the past and they arrived in a few days on both occasions. Even though it's an overseas company, I think the stock is held in the UK. It is "grey market" stuff though.

I just checked my order history with them. It looks like the camera I bought was dispatched 5 days after the order date. I remember contacting them to change the order slightly. On the second occasion, the lens was sent on the day of the order. I received it next day.

Where did you get the info that it was a scam? There's still a link to Simplyelectronics on Topcashback.

Your lucky, i put order in 6/9/14 and today 14/9/14 my item still not dispatched and have had no reply to emails from them. Was for a bday present bit late now.
  • wooder
    wooder Posts: 92
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ordered a Canon 10/18 wide angle zoom lens after phoning them to check they had stock - the communication was good and it was delivered about twelve days later, brand new, well packaged and exactly as it should be. It was miles cheaper than anywhere else and I did not have to pay any duties.

I had read all the reviews and it seems quite a lot of the negative ones were from people who had ordered and then tried to cancel after a couple of days for whatever reason. I soon realised that delivery is a lottery and I would not advise anyone to order if there is a deadline looming, eg. birthday/xmas present, holiday, etc.

I was not in any hurry for the lens and I decided to just order and then forget about it until it arrived. I paid for it with a credit card so had some protection there. The website said despatched in 3-4 business days, or something like that, but I took that with a pinch of salt.

Overall, I am completely satisfied with the purchase - I was not expecting next day delivery and twelve days wait was absolutely fine by me to get it at the price I did.

I would use them again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport