We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Blackberry Playbook - Worth it now?

Options
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/blackberry-playbook-uk-price-cut-to-169-1051956

Now teh playbook is down to affordable mone, is it worth buying as a home use Tablet?

Kinda had my heart set on an Ipad3 when it comes out (I have been a good MSE saver!) but is this good enough for my at home toy?

Comments

• scottishperson2
    Options
    richard734 wrote: »
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/blackberry-playbook-uk-price-cut-to-169-1051956

Now teh playbook is down to affordable mone, is it worth buying as a home use Tablet?

Kinda had my heart set on an Ipad3 when it comes out (I have been a good MSE saver!) but is this good enough for my at home toy?

I consider the playbook as dead. RIM don't want it, no-one will invest money in developing for it, so you're left with a tablet with no support and no new apps/games (and limited apps at the moment).
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    But that is just your opinion...

I think if you can get the 32gb for £199 then you are made cos as and when the OS 2.0 comes out it's going to be a massive improvement...

I got the 64gb and love it. Not overwhelmed with apps right now and a sturdy piece of kit. You can feel it's metal.

Yeah there's some probs with books but then it also has free office software (unlike my android phone) so if I were you I'd snap it up whilst you can...

Time over again..I'd have saved £50 and not gotten the 64gb but 3G is overated and needs a contract. :(...tethering is possible if you have a blackberry phone. and it loaded fine onto my pc via a download from blackberry (not with the pre installed software - no biggie)

Also if you like blackberrys then you shouldn't have a prob...

I just wanted a glorified kindle and it does that just fine :)
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
  • Roland
    Roland Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I consider the playbook as dead. RIM don't want it, no-one will invest money in developing for it, so you're left with a tablet with no support and no new apps/games (and limited apps at the moment).

You couldn't be more wrong. If the PlayBook is dead, then why is RIM about to release a major upgrade to the OS in about 3 weeks time?

I bought mine on Boxing Day and it has been excellent so far. The new OS will address many of the main problems so far, such as the lack of an e-mail client and the lack of apps.

If you already have a BlackBerry phone with OS6 or OS7 then you would also get mobile data access within your existing contract. The 64GB model is £259, the equivalent iPad is £659 plus £10 pm for a data package. If you don't have a BB phone, you could buy one for half of the difference of the cost to the iPad.

Now is most certainly the time to buy a PlayBook.
  • globetraveller
    Options
    I got mine at Currys for £169 and it came with a £50 voucher for a spend over £200.( Haven't used it yet as the freezer I wanted was a lot cheaper elsewhere)
    We got one each as we travel abroad a lot and its a handy size and a great price. No problems so far.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • tafelmoneysaver
    Options
    Buy from CPW and you'll earn 5% through QuidCo
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 January 2012 at 9:56PM
    Options
    Roland wrote: »
    You couldn't be more wrong. If the PlayBook is dead, then why is RIM about to release a major upgrade to the OS in about 3 weeks time?

I bought mine on Boxing Day and it has been excellent so far. The new OS will address many of the main problems so far, such as the lack of an e-mail client and the lack of apps.

If you already have a BlackBerry phone with OS6 or OS7 then you would also get mobile data access within your existing contract. The 64GB model is £259, the equivalent iPad is £659 plus £10 pm for a data package. If you don't have a BB phone, you could buy one for half of the difference of the cost to the iPad.

Now is most certainly the time to buy a PlayBook.

Plus it has a good rating on which (same as the Motorola Xoom which is at least £100 more) and it's solid... metal with free (naff) case etc....

Been playing with mine all evening. Free office apps to boot :)

Yay - you don't exactly get that on android

E
    PS. For those of you (like me who wants kindle) who can't wait for OS 2 to be released here is a handy link I found that should work to get the beta version

http://liliputing.com/2011/12/how-to-install-playbook-os-2-0-beta.html
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They were meant to be getting official support for Android apps too, which would make up for any gaps in Blackberry's own catalogue. Nice OS too, unlike Apple's giant phone.
  • scottishperson2
    scottishperson2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2012 at 7:43PM
    Options
    Roland wrote: »

New CEO/president Thorsten Heins came to RIM this month
    Upgrade was scheduled before he came.

RIM is in deep financial **** (and just look at the share price).

RIM lost $1/2 billion just in the 3rd quarter alone because of the playbook because no-one was buying it.

RIM dropped the price to get rid of stock, not to manufacture more.

playbook is dead IMO.
    Erme wrote: »
    But that is just your opinion...

As stated in the first two words
    I consider

Although looking at the share price I think a lot of people consider the same.
  • ada1988
    ada1988 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    it is fine to buy the playbook.In my opinion,it seems much better than ipad.
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will the new Playbook OS upgrade allow for more apps does anyone know as my research suggests this is the only area that lets the Playbook down..?
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family