Freeview/Freesat throught skybox

New Post Advanced Search

Freeview/Freesat throught skybox

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
13 replies 1.7K views
jozvaldojozvaldo Forumite
405 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Quick question which hopefully somebody can answer for me :-)

I ahave a new house with no aerial installed but a sky dish is in place. I also have the sky+box wired up and installed but there is no subscription in place.

Am I able to use my sky box to watch TV without having to install an aerial or subscribe for any packages ie sky etc!? Ie - can I recevie any channels through my dish (bbc, itv etc)

Thanks in advance
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Replies

• new2012new2012 Forumite
    158 posts
    I also have the sky+box wired up and installed but there is no subscription in place

Am I able to use my sky box to watch TV without having to install an aerial or subscribe for any packages ie sky etc!?

Yes.
    Have you actually tried it?
  • Lol! obviously Ive tried it and it doesnt work which is why Im asking the question? I get to the channel listings and it says it cannot find anything and to switch off my box for a minute and restart - which makes no difference?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • movilogomovilogo Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then either your Sky box or dish may be faulty. Try borrowing a working box from a friend and see if you can get the channels.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it's a new house, you may have a few cables and you don't know what they do, maybe you're connecting the Sky box to a cable that's sitting in the roofspace waiting to be connected to an aerial. Try out different cables. You'll be watching freesatfromsky and you won't be allowed to record.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't get either Freesat or Freeview through a Sky box. Without a sub you can get the Freesat from Sky channels.
    Freesat is an alternative satellite platform.
    Freeview is a terrestial service through an aerial.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • new2012new2012 Forumite
    158 posts
    Lol! obviously Ive tried it and it doesnt work which is why Im asking the question?

You asked if
    Am I able to use my sky box to watch TV without having to install an aerial or subscribe for any packages ie sky etc!

And I answered
    Yes
    I ahave a new house with no aerial installed but a sky dish is in place.

You could have yet to move in.
  • edited 31 January 2012 at 6:14PM
    keicarkeicar Forumite
    76 posts
    edited 31 January 2012 at 6:14PM
    Assuming the dish is installed and aligned, Freesat will work fine, one of these will work, cheap enough.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321557/Trail/searchtext%3EFREESAT.htm

Was only £30 at Christmas.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will need a reasonably up to date viewing card to make it work.
    I believe you can buy them from Sky for around a tenner.
  • Go into the settings menu of the box and see what signal strength (if any) you're getting.

You don't need a card to receive channels on the box, there are only a few less with not having a card.

If you want a card, Sky will charge you £25 for it. The card will also regionalise your BBC and ITV channels though.

As above, if you can't try another box on the cable, you won't know for sure whether there's a problem with the box or the cabling/dish.
    Dave. :wave:
  • I have again tried today and checked the signal strength for which I get the following:-

Input 1 signal strength (bar is about three quarters full)

Signal quality (bar is about three quarters full)

Input 1 lock indicator is OK
    Input 1 Network is 013e
    Input 1 transport stream is 1450

Input 2 signal strength (is empty)
    Input 2 signal quality (is empty)
    Input 2 Lock Indicator (not locked)

Is this okay - any further suggestions as to what I should check??
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support