Grocery Challenge - February 2012

edited 30 January 2012 at 8:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 154.6K views

Replies

• greentgreent Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Went to T's today and spent enough to get the 10p off fuel voucher!:eek: Total now up to £116.70, which puts me about £20 ahead of where I *should* be - but NSDs now until the weekend, I think - meaning I'll catch back up.

Got lots of lovely YS ham in T's - was on my shopping list, too :D All now portioned up and in freezer - along with the YS lamb shank and chicken breasts and abso-bloomin-lutely gorgeous Spoiled Pig bacon (less than 50% of orig price, so bought 4 packs - left another half doz on shelf) Also needed some other bits and pieces - most of which was thankfully on some sort of offer. The only things I didn't plan on (other than the meat whoopsies) was the Ken Hom meal deal (2 x crispy beef and 2x 18 piece sides) - I blame several of you lot for mentioning it!!:rotfl::p and 2 packs of (just) less than half price Finish. I've tried lots of cheaper ones and they just don't seem to do it.... Oh, and a gift set rtc to £1.25 - now in present stash with a name assigned to it for Xmas :) Had to buy Calp0l for poorly ones, too
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £4980/6K
    Net sales 2020 £563.25/£500 Decluttering: 1550/2020
  • edited 7 February 2012 at 2:38PM
    elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 7 February 2012 at 2:38PM
    I can empathise with the depression. Best thing you can do is tell everyone you know. I had it for a long while, and I look back now and realise how far I have come since then. It does get easier; set yourself little tiny things to do each day, and don't beat yourself up about anything. Drugs will help to balance out the hormones in your brain - chat to docs when/if you want to reduce them. Are you booked onto any courses? I went on an anger management one - I wasn't aware I had a problem with that, and I didn't, but the course was AMAZING. I met up with loads of other people who felt like i did, and I learned that I am a good person. It really helped me to reprogramme my feelings, and I am a better person now, for having been through depression. If I can do anything, let me know (you know what i mean - chats and the like!).

Thank you so much for the kind words. To be honest, I'm quite a private person and I really really don't want too many people to know. My manager knows this and has said that I can say whatever I like about being off... :D

I was diagnosed in September, and have been waiting for referrals to "Let's Talk" service since then. Finally got an offer of a course that started Jan, but it's for Anxiety Management. It's really interesting, but not completely relevant for me. However, I will be doing the Depression Management one after that and I'm *supposed* to be on the waiting list for one-to-one or CBT, but it's all so convoluted I don't really know what's going on! My GP is very very good though so can't complain. It's just frustrating, I feel like I'm waiting to get better and can't do much in the meantime. I feel rather pathetic!!! :o
    greent wrote: »
    abso-bloomin-lutely gorgeous Spoiled Pig bacon (less than 50% of orig price, so bought 4 packs - left another half doz on shelf)

Ooo, whereabouts are you in Glos?! which Mr T's please, I might try and grab your leftovers if I'm close enough (although to be fair chancces are slim you're near me!!!) :rotfl: ... my nearest is Cam...

LC
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...been to hbargains today and got a few bargains....looked around the new 27million £ tesco that has just been built....thought it was very expensive and came out empty handed....got a roast chicken for tea and lamb chops defrosting for tea tomorrow

need to have a think about meals for half term and some fun(cheap) activities

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • lav1979lav1979 Forumite
    164 posts
    hi all
    just going to add up running totals - its not good xx
    LITTLE STEPS
    Became a mummy 30/07/10 and 13/02/15:j
    keep smiling:D
  • lav1979lav1979 Forumite
    164 posts
    Yes I was right, its not good. Already half the budget spent - 253.59 and its only the 7th argh !!! x
    Hope everyone else doing better than me x
    Catch up later x
    LITTLE STEPS
    Became a mummy 30/07/10 and 13/02/15:j
    keep smiling:D
  • Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 posts
    Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    another NSD today, have done a rough meal plan for this week and next week and am off shoppin tomorrow/thursday :) got my shopping list ready :) am also off to asda tomorrow evenin so will see if i can get any whoopsies whilst im there :)
    still got some leftover turkey for my t, thinkin i mite ave stir fry whilst DD will b avin pasta bolognaise for hers as i no shell eat it :)
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right....I've been thinking......I really would like to change the way I do my GC.

For the last few years I have used a cashback cc for petrol and food purchases and paid it off each month. Then once a year I get cashback credited to my account. Last year this amounted to £120 and not a penny paid out in interest - happy days.

However, I have for some time been wanting to change over to paying cash for my groceries because I'm now running a 2nd purse and things get very confusing (well for me anyhoo :o).

What this effectively means is I will need to pay for two months groceries in one month as my cc bill will need paying, as well as me buying my groceries cash. This has only been made possible now as DH's redundancy will come through at the end of Feb.

In order for me to achieve this, I will end my Feb GC on 21st Feb (cc statement date) and any further food I buy from 21st-29th Feb will also be on the cc, but will cap this at £100. From 1st March I will draw out the money and use cash - budget to be decided but probably £450.

Sorry for the rambling long post, but by putting it down in words it means I have made a commitment and got things straight in my head :)
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • greentgreent Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Ooo, whereabouts are you in Glos?! which Mr T's please, I might try and grab your leftovers if I'm close enough (although to be fair chancces are slim you're near me!!!) :rotfl: ... my nearest is Cam...

LC

I'm in the Q place.. so not that far up from Cam :)

Depression is hard - I've had PND a couple of times and some 'down' episodes since. DH has had severe depression (attempted suicide with it) Acknowledging the problem exists is the first step (which you've done a while back) and you sound like you have a nice GP. It can take a looong time - but you can always look back on the way back up and see just how far you've come:) - and are better placed to recognise triggers and warning signs for future.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £4980/6K
    Net sales 2020 £563.25/£500 Decluttering: 1550/2020
  • mummyyof5mummyyof5 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Didnt get to HB today after all as I remembererd HV was coming to do GD 2 year assessment so wouldnt have had time...nipped tp town instead and spent
    £4.00 in MrWs
    £4.00 in butchers
    £1.50 eggs from market
    £8,97 in MrTs.

Hoping for a NSD day tomorrow..new mattress being delivered in the morning then Toddlers in the afternoon...pork steaks with rosemary potatoes for tea tonight...might get somemince out of freezer for tomorrow...cant decide if to do spag bog or lasagne xx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    updated my sig
    that did include spending a tenner on baked beans and coco pops that werent on the list but too good a bargain to miss
    sunday did a brocolli and pasta in blue cheese sauce followed by lemon meringue
    last night did a quorn roast with leeky mash and blueberry muffins
    tonight we are out so will have porrige for supper when we get back had jacket pots for dinner
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind