PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Options

Comments

• FrugalLina
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your family's loss DundeeDoll (and you too for November's loss CompBunny), I know how hard it is losing loved ones :(

It has been very cold here today, but I did some housework to keep warm and took the opportunity of the cold weather to defrost and reorganise my freezer. There are some things in there that I have no idea what they are, lol! It has made me realise that I really will not need to shop much this month apart from essentials.
    31.5/100
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    we have several inches of snow DD2 is out in it right now she is so excited lol shes 16 :o
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    DD, thoughts are with you.

Started lightly snowing here about two hours ago. It's settling on the paths but the roads are still clear. Supposed to get heavier overnight though so glad I got my Mr T order booked in for today though, just in case! Hope they don't cancel our local farmer's market in the morning though, it's the first one this year and have been looking forward to going for ages.

So the Mr T order... This is my monthly heavy/tinned stuff stock up, and needed some household things that are normally at most quarterly purchases (fabric softener, etc) so total was £50.75. This includes a fiver for the Ken Hom meal deal that was still on, so treated us to it for dinner tonight. Got two mains, spring rolls (which were lush) and rice. Split across three adults, was lovely and filling. Satisfied the takeaway urge that I've had all week, for much cheaper than the real thing. :money:
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So today I bought usual £4 2kg Go Cat from Lidl and also £1 1kg brand I hadn't heard of. Guess what - my very fussy cats prefer the Lidl one! Hoping Lidl will take back the Go Cat. I still have the receipt.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Well went out to o some jobs, set myself a budget of £20, but went £5 over, did go to the butcher and fruit veg stall and morrisons.

In morries bought drain cleaner my bath is backed up and desperately needed it, it was £4 so i was not amused, but oh well, got 10 whoopsied wholemeal rolls for 70p, got some aero mousses, bag of sensations, 9 pack orange kit kats, some half price ribena and half price virgin olive oil, really needed some.

At the butchers i got some mutton was £5 for not much i must say, but i really fancied curry mutton, which i'm making tomorrow.

Fruit stall i got, punnet stawberries, carrots,beetroot,tomatoes,white cabbage,garlic that lot cost £5 or near abouts.

Also went to tesco to get the ken hom meal deal, 2 mains and 2 sides for £5 got 2 chilli beef they are so yummy, one went in the freezer and one i had for dinner, i also got egg fried rice and the 18 piece selection and had 2 spring rolls,2 chicken wonton and 2 prawn toast with the chilli beef, can make another 2 meals from that lot, it will all be going in the freezer once there is space, need to have a good sort out.

Have seasoned the mutton and put it in the fridge to marinate, will put it on in the morning and make coleslaw, steam some rice and some veg tomorrow, looking forward to it.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2012 at 12:01AM
    Options
    For those of you who are newbies and are menu planning you may like to consider this option:
    Write out your menus for a week-or 2 weeks if preffered. do not put the day on the menu so you can jiggle themabout according to your free time-any extra ingredients you need-your mood! I find this more sucessful than a very strict regime where if you "screw up" one day it all goes down the pan!
    Someone suggested earlier freezing small amounts of fruit juice etc-I can recommend this as I do this for sweet and sour(from scratch)when I need orange juice and pinapple pieces/juice. I also freeze any leftover juice from tinned tomatoes(when we use them as a veg rather than an ingredient)these go in the next bolognese or curry.
    All bread offcuts are crumbed and frozen.If you don't use a loaf of bread without it going dry, just get out half a loaf or a few slices and freeze the rest! I am also skimming off a pint of milk now and then from my four pinter(the one that becomes 5)and freezing the pint I remove for when I am running low-this saves those expensive trips to the SM for a pint of milk and spending £30!(I add a pint of water to the remaining 3 pints)
    I am now cooking a chicken for tomorrows dinner so I can use the kitchen heat tonight and less work tomorrow-meat easier to carve also.
    Regarding dried beans and pulses the only ones I don't usually bother buying dried are red kidney beans as these are cheap when you buy the value ones and you need to be careful about boiling them for 10? 20? mins rapidly to remove toxins. all other dried beans and pusles are well worth soaking overnight and go a long way. Even when you weigh them after soaking they still absorb yet more water when you cook them a long time(thinking slowcooker). Definitely worth the effort. My veggie curry I cooked for about £2 actually served up 8 portions! 3 now ready for the freezer-tetris attack about to take place! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WITH YOUR BUDGETS-PLANNING REALLY IS THE KEY!
    Just cancelled my Asda order which was dues Thursday as I just will not need anything!
    Thinking of "other" things we order online-and cars-Ive just ordered my engine oil fron ebay-the toyota one if anyone wants to take a peek and reduced delivery for additional orders so Ive ordered 10 litres.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    DundeeDoll - so sorry to hear your sad news. I really do sympathise, having been through it so recently (4 weeks ago today). I'm finding I get good days and bad days - you may find the same. (((HUGS)))

About the cat food - same story here - old favourite, Wh*skas, being ignored, but "Coshida" (the cheap one from L*dl) being enthused over!

Did an order from App Food today - first one for ages. Really looking forward to getting it - always feels like Christmas all over again.

That of course is if it gets here through the snow. We only had a couple of inches up here, but DS had to walk the couple of miles down the hill to get his train back to Bristol, as the buses didn't seem to be running from up here, and he said it was really slippy.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    Small spend of £1.55 today on a jelly and a tin of fruit.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    Options
    Ok small spend in the supermarket as managed to get a few good whoopsies, unfortently not overly healthy ones due to the pastry but in the right portion sizes they make good meals even managed to get some seconds apples which look absolutly fine 19p for 6 apples as apposed to the bag of 8 i picked up for a £1. :money:

Total spends now at £13.56/£65.00.

Going to makae a sausage cassarole tomorrow and portion for the freezer for work lunches etc since its easier than sandwiches and its comfort food to cheer me up so all good :j.

Hugs for those that need and stay warm everyone

D.O.D
    HSBC [STRIKE]£3223.20[/STRIKE] £2060.00
    Cap1 [STRIKE]£1724.91[/STRIKE] £1782.00
    OD [STRIKE]£939.78[/STRIKE] £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Didnt go shopping today, NSD 4. as dont feel too good and it was snowing and bitter cold. Decided to bake bread and made a huge pot of lamb stew,whoopsie lamb £1 and whoopsie stew pack 50p
    should last a few days. Was going to make yoghurt but decided to hang onto the milk incase I dont get out for a while.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport