PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    After long illness, FIL died this morning in nursing home. OH had gone down again Thursday knowing death was imminent. Left me a bit numb. MIL not eating properly so OH buying food for her. Don't know when the funeral is. Will try to keep to budget this month.

Going to Lidl later with mum as OH has car (getting perilously low on cat food and bread - will dust down bread maker maybe next month but I think cooking cat food would turn out more expensive!). Menu for week planned (lots of fish cos OH not so keen on fish), freezer audited, very last of the Christmas turkey to be finished this lunch time. At last am getting to the end of UFOs - unidentified frying objects - you know, those bits of meat in unlabeled plastic bags whose identity only becomes clear on defrosting (and sometimes not even then lol). Love you all, you're the best xxx

So sorry for your lossit must be hard with OH being so far away.
    Enjoy your fish and take care.Good idea I think to dust off your BM
    there is somethingreally comfortinginbaking your own bread.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ModestyB wrote: »
    Thank you both for your help. I like the sound of Dove's Farm yeast, is it only from Waitr*se? I've never actually seen one of those shops.
    I never go to Mr. T. and rarely A$da.
    I had a bit of luck today, DD needed to go to Bilston today and I went along as I'd been having a feeling about a certain CS opposite the Major's chip shop. How I knew there'd be a cheap breadmaker waiting in there for me, I don't know. Haven't been there for months.
    Anyway, I got me a breadmaker for £10. Hope it works! WTS. :rotfl:

Well done on finding your BM hope you have a lot of fun with it.
    Slimming World at target
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well I'm back again!

Good to see you Compbunny and I'm glad you're better.

It sounds like I had a lucky escape then LittleMissAspie! Presuming of course that it was MrM you were shopping in.

Well, no spends today on groceries but we've just booked our holiday for the start of April. Not our first choice destination but hey it's on the beach, should be acceptable sunshine (not 30 degrees +) and didn't break the bank. Just got to keep a very tight reign on OH and his drinking expenditure as we're not going all inclusive this time. Oooooh, I just can't wait, we both so need a holiday.

By the way, it's been pouring with rain for a good few hours now and all snow gone from here but still mighty cold, brrrr.

Take care alll and see you tomorrow,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh thankyou for the thoughts everyone but my dear Grandad died in November, I was lucky to have lots of support from here at the time - I just reacted quite badly a few weeks later, a delayed reaction! Hence my absence. Just thought I should say this so people don't send me their condolences, all thoughts with DundeeDoll and her family in this difficult time. Sorry I should have been clearer:o
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    rising - I know how you feel! £1300 service which included tyres and brakes last month and new windscreen yesterday (£75 excess). Had put some aside but not enough. Raiding available pots and resorted to interest free cc for the transaction

I've had to do some "pot raiding" too - I only managed to start them around October:o (DF date) so have been trying to overpay into them to build enough to cover this years' expenditure but had only managed to get to £300 for the car .... just unfortunate it all fell so early in the year I guess.

Emergency fund was wiped out by a large vets bill in November and a new fridge/freezer in December (why does everything always happen together:() and has yet to recover.

Hopefully, things should get easier once I can drop the pot amounts to "normal" levels as I move through the year and I can start rebuilding the emergency fund again.:)
    CompBunny wrote: »
    I'm back to GC after a couple of months "off". I've been very very good still, just not noting everything down here :) I was pretty floored by losing my Grandfather and wasn't too well for a while, and then had all the stress of moving house and keeping up with this just didn't happen!

Good to see you back CompBunny ... so sorry for the loss of your GF - I lost mine 12 years ago and it still brings tears to my eyes .... Hope you're now settled in your new house.

Well, plans for tomorrow have changed due to the weather I'm not doing what I was supposed to be doing - now having a bit of a dilemma as was moving things around in the fridge and discovered the sliced cheese for my lunches has gone mouldy:eek:. Not very impressed as it's dated until March:mad:. There is another pack (dated end Feb) which is fine but unfortunately not enough to last the week.... so, if it's OK out, I may well be making a trip to Mr A to get the cheese replaced.....
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mumwithamission
    Options
    Monthly stock-up today. Was a horrible experience, I'm never going back to that supermarket again. I only went there because we had the voucher from the newspaper but it's a rubbish shop. Several items were way more expensive than we usually pay, lots of things I wanted were sold out and to top it all it was horrendously busy, probably due to said voucher. The queues were blocking the aisles and no-one moved to get out the way so we had to turn around and get to the next aisle at the other end. The freezers were blocked by the queue so my boyfriend asked a woman to pass him something that he wanted, she practically shoved the packet in his face barely looking at him.

Spent only £35.90 but am short on several items, and feel ripped off on the others!

Went to same SM today to spend my voucher and had similar experience, but staff seemed shocked by how busy it was, said it had been all day - like Christmas! They'd decided it was because of the forecast snow....everyone panic buying, what a very silly nation we are!
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    popped into l*dl on my way home from work for milk and they had one sack of onions left, it looked lonely so i gave it a home :D also picked up tomato puree and passata and half price fox's biscuits :o £5.65 to add on.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • Gorgeestwo
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss DundeeDoll :(

Have been to Mr T's today, spent £34.95 :eek: but on quite a few 'stock' items :) off to update sig. Fingers crossed for a good run of NSD's now.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi....its snowing here...we have been having great fun in it...i make a very nice shaped snow angel....went to lidl earlier and stocked up on the chicken that was on special offer....great offer i thought

when the snow started i asked dh to go over to corner shop and buy some extra milk so we have everything we need...got a joint of roast beef for lunch tomorrow so that should be nice

take care in the snow tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 February 2012 at 11:18PM
    Options
    we also have snow!!!! so grabbed some bread before i left work spent around around £3 altogether! so will add that to my siggy! hoping the snow hurrys up n disappears! need my DD to be able to come home from her dads tomorrow dont like her being away soooo long :D think 1 nites enough!!!
    took a small boneless turkey out for tomorrows dinner so will use the rest of the veg out the fridge for a cooked dinner tomorrow
    was goin to order a pizza tonite as i was supposed to goin out and can coz of the snow BUT theyve stopped online orders (had a voucher code) so i cudnt which is a blessing in disguise as ive saved some money :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure