We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    May I please have a round of applause?

You can have your applause when I see a picture, because I don't believe that's possible. :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    @LV, well done!

@Mr Bad, i hope this year theree will be lots and lotf of photos in this thread. My reading has become regressive, i like picture books these days...and picture "threads".

@Emiff6, i totally agree with your post!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    You can have your applause when I see a picture, because I don't believe that's possible. :p

My pleasure! I will do so as soon as I find my camera.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    mrbadexample snr reckons my compost should be sterilised before I use it for seeds.

Any thoughts?

I could microwave it...
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrbadexample snr reckons my compost should be sterilised before I use it for seeds.

Any thoughts?

I could microwave it...

He's right, I do it for sowing seeds indoors. Outside it just gets spread where needed or used to top up pots/beds etc and I microwave small batches in an old large pyrex jug. You dont want any other seeds to germinate nor do you want mould spores.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    He's right

He usually is. :D

Well, not much I can do about the ones I've sown now. I could dig them up, sterilise it and replant them, but that's much too much trouble. This lot will just have to take their chances. I'll used sterilised compost when they get pricked out.
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    6806443981_82ef232253.jpg

Sorry for the dark picture, but it's so bright today that the house is casting a good shadow over the garden. But, here it is in all it's glory. I had no idea there was a path when I first moved in, which gives you an idea of just how overgrown it was.

I shall have to wait with digging the garden over for a few weeks as I dislocated my shoulder last week, plus of course, the frozen ground isn't too good for digging in either! I have discovered that the garden shed has a few tools in, a small fork and a pair of pruners (if that is their name) which will come in handy. There may be more hidden things in there as it is full of stuff, but with only one working arm, it's hard to tell (thinking I may be able to bribe my friend to come and help me out if I promise tea and scones). A friend gave me some basil and lettuce seeds and also some wild flower seeds as I was saying I don't think the flower bed will have anything sprouting up. My housemates mum said she will look through her gardening things and sort some bits out for us as well, so that will be good too.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    That picture helps, thank you!

Ok, I'm not really the best person to ask, as I have no experience with anything other than my own garden. :o

More knowledgeable people will be along in a minute. ;) You could even start your own thread (that's not a hint - you're welcome to stay here!)

Is that a compost bin down the far end? If so, is there anything in it? Presumably, the shed is behind or to the side of you in that photo, as you mention one but I can't see it. It might just be really, really small. :p

If the top end gets most sun, then that's where the veg would most like to live. I'd look at building a raised bed or two up there somewhere. If, as was with my garden, you can't afford to build raise beds, just dig over a patch (when you're fit and it's not freezing, of course) and plant it up. Then just keep your eye open for free timber. Freecycle, scaffold companies, skips etc. Sometime, somewhere, something will turn up. Usually when you've got no way of getting it home. :wall: :rotfl:

One other thing I notice is all the trees over the other side of the fence. You might find that they nick all the water, so things up the top end might struggle to compete. Is there anything else growing up there? I'm only guessing, but a mate of mine has that problem.

Can you wander up the far end and take more photos? :D
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I've been looking about for a cheap shredder. Just to deal with the brassica stems, and other waste which I am currently throwing on the lawn and mowing. This works but it's a bit messy and I'm sure it's not the best thing for my mower.

I've asked on two Freecycle groups, and have been looking on eBay etc. It's surprising how much they go for.

Turns out mrbadexample snr's got one in his shed. Why didn't I ask him first? :doh:

Now I just need to get him to look the other way for a few minutes...:D
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I thought I'd got some action this morning!

DSCF3185.jpg

But on closer inspection, this sprout must be a weed. :( It's the module I put a Purple Venezuelan chilli in. One of my last two seeds from a few years ago. The germination rate is quite poor, and very slow, so it'll be a rogue seed from the unsterilised compost. I don't expect either of the PV to germinate.

On the other hand, the white bit in the middle of this cell is a tomato. Amish Paste.

DSCF3186.jpg

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure