We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• cheerfulness4
    Options
    The orange banana are particularly good for sarnies - nice flavour and not very wet. ;)

I'll remember that. They're one of the new ones I'm doing. ;)
    I believe there's one called Black Truffle. :)

Knew I had to have got that one wrong. Duh. :p
    Right then - a question:

Last year I bought marigolds from Morrisons. Cheap, but I want free. :money:

I've recovered some of the seeds:

They don't come with instructions. :( I will assume, unless told otherwise, that the original modules they came in will be suitable for sowing them in. When do I sow them? What conditions do they need?

Cheers!

Sow mine next month usually in a small seed tray with light covering of compost.
    These are really hardy though. Come through easily. Are they French or the big African? Can't tell by the piccy.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Sow mine next month usually in a small seed tray with light covering of compost.
    These are really hardy though. Come through easily. Are they French or the big African? Can't tell by the piccy.

French, I think. Can you remind me when you do yours please? :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    French, I think. Can you remind me when you do yours please? :p

Course I will. ;)
    As it happens I just bought my seeds on Saturday. Always plant some among my veg since Geoff Hamilton said to - and I do as I'm told. :D
  • Angelfeathers
    Options
    Course I will. ;)
    As it happens I just bought my seeds on Saturday. Always plant some among my veg since Geoff Hamilton said to - and I do as I'm told. :D

Yeah, I've read in several different places that you should put marigolds (and nasturtiums, so I've got some of them too) in with your veg to attract all the pests away/help with pollination. I figure it's worth a try!
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I dotted 18 of them all around the garden last year. No idea if they did any good, but the occasional splash of colour around the veg beds was welcome. :)

I've sown some more chillies and toms. I don't like the modules I was using before - they were pretty small so dried out very quickly, and I thought the germination rate was poor. I've gone back to the set-up I used last year, which was very successful:

DSCF3261.jpg
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Next question: Garlic.

I've never grown it before, but I've got three bulbs that are going a bit sprouty. Do I plant individual cloves or the whole bulb? What sort of conditions does it like? Can I do it now?
  • alixandrea
    Options
    Next question: Garlic.

I've never grown it before, but I've got three bulbs that are going a bit sprouty. Do I plant individual cloves or the whole bulb? What sort of conditions does it like? Can I do it now?

In dividual cloves; they become new bulbs. :j However I understand that garlic likes a cold spell in order to start splitting into new cloves, so you might be lucky to get anything now (unless the weather goes really cold again). Apparently another thing to bear in mind is that garlic you get from the supermarket often comes from warmer climes, so may not like being grown in British weather. Although I wonder if that means it doesn't need the cold spell first like the UK stuff... Anyway, basically give it a go, but don't expect anything. I had a very disappointing result from garlic last year and amn't bothering this... :p

Alixandrea
  • Why_oh_why
    Options
    I always use supermarket garlic. Last year I was really late planting it (March I think) but it still managed to split.

The ones I've planted have always worked well and have a very strong taste - my attitude is that there isn't really much to lose if it doesn't work :D
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    I'm back! Hoorah!!

A few things have not changed:
    1. I have done nothing in the garden because of the frost and snow
    2. I still can't post photos - although I'm DETERMINED to get it sorted so I can prove to MBE that I have peppers on my pepper plant right this very minute
    3. Wales are still better than England at rugby.
  • radiohelen
    Options
    You could try putting the garlic in modules and sticking it in the fridge for a few days. It might work!
    Well behaved women rarely make history.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport