Use of a dummy

Options

Comments

• GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    If your child uses a dummy then the advice is that it should be offered to them for every period of sleep.

Mine have all been offered dummies once breastfeeding was established because of a strong history of cot death in my family. It's something I was incredibly paranoid about with my first child in particular.

I've found it quite worrying since having my last child how blase people seem to have become about cot death. So many people now seem to think it's so rare that lots of people are ignoring bits and pieces of the advice - in particular the sleeps in the same room. I worry the incidences will start to increase again if we're not careful.
  • moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Options
    If your child uses a dummy then the advice is that it should be offered to them for every period of sleep.

Mine have all been offered dummies once breastfeeding was established because of a strong history of cot death in my family. It's something I was incredibly paranoid about with my first child in particular.

I've found it quite worrying since having my last child how blase people seem to have become about cot death. So many people now seem to think it's so rare that lots of people are ignoring bits and pieces of the advice - in particular the sleeps in the same room. I worry the incidences will start to increase again if we're not careful.

I would agree with the last bit especially. It does worry me too.
  • DanE2010
    DanE2010 Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    To say that there is "no known reason" is oversimplifying a bit. There is evidence that certain factors can increase the risk of SIDS (e.g. some cases can be attributed to a drunken or over-tired parent accidentally smothering their child, and the fact that we are advised to sleep babies on their backs indicates that some causes can be attributed to decreased airways, or choking on bedding). Of course you can take all the preventative measures in the world and still suffer a tragedy...

What I was trying to get at is that all of the research isnt set in stone so a mother shouldnt panic that after 6 months if she wants to wean her baby off the dummy but is scared to incase her baby dies of cot death.

Its not over simplifying it, there is no answer to why babies die of cot death, if you smother your baby by accident then you know you baby died because you smothered it, im talking about the if's and what's that goes through a mothers mind when there is no anwer anyone can give you as to why your baby died, in their cot, after taking all the preventative measures.
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

There's lots and lots of pressure from well-meaning relatives to get your baby out of your room the second they're out of the moses basket. Just coming up against this myself at the moment - one of the reasons we went for a smaller cot, rather than a cot-bed was so we had the facility to bring it into our room if they outgrow the moses very quickly (fairly likely since hubby's a lanky git)... and boy oh boy are we taking flack for the choice... "oh that's going to be far too small for them, oh you should get them straight out into their own room or you'll never get rid of them.... oh you'll need them out so you can get a decent night's sleep..." it's actually really strong pressure (if you ain't a stubborn nowt like I am) and although well-intentioned, completely against it all - I've got no intention of hoofing the small-sort-to-be out aged 2 months or whatever!

And then you get onto cot bumpers - tonnes and tonnes of contradictory advice on those these days - whereas previously they were a no-no, now it's all over the place if they are/aren't safe (I've got some on the empty cot purely for looking pretty purposes atm)... no one seems to have an answer on that one.... oh and guidance about not overheating them - what I needed was a guide of room temperature is this - good amount of bedding and clothing is this - that one's been a nightmare to track down (I've finally found a couple but in very obscure places)... basically if they started emerging with an instruction manual it would be much easier - and the dads still wouldn't read it!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • lilrahi
    lilrahi Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometime we need some peace and sucking the dummy shuts them up for a bit!

Having said, I got my DS & DD out of the habit before 9 months (or rather they got themselves out!). Sometimes I wish DS still had a dummy habit!
    You'll have to speak up; I'm wearing a towel
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    There's lots and lots of pressure from well-meaning relatives to get your baby out of your room the second they're out of the moses basket. Just coming up against this myself at the moment - one of the reasons we went for a smaller cot, rather than a cot-bed was so we had the facility to bring it into our room if they outgrow the moses very quickly (fairly likely since hubby's a lanky git)... and boy oh boy are we taking flack for the choice... "oh that's going to be far too small for them, oh you should get them straight out into their own room or you'll never get rid of them.... oh you'll need them out so you can get a decent night's sleep..." it's actually really strong pressure (if you ain't a stubborn nowt like I am) and although well-intentioned, completely against it all - I've got no intention of hoofing the small-sort-to-be out aged 2 months or whatever!

And then you get onto cot bumpers - tonnes and tonnes of contradictory advice on those these days - whereas previously they were a no-no, now it's all over the place if they are/aren't safe (I've got some on the empty cot purely for looking pretty purposes atm)... no one seems to have an answer on that one.... oh and guidance about not overheating them - what I needed was a guide of room temperature is this - good amount of bedding and clothing is this - that one's been a nightmare to track down (I've finally found a couple but in very obscure places)... basically if they started emerging with an instruction manual it would be much easier - and the dads still wouldn't read it!

Oh I know about the pressure! I'm an extended (to some) BF'er whose youngest child stayed in my room until he was 13 months. I used to use the "Oh he still feeds in the night and I'm too lazy to get out of bed" just to get people off my back. That said I don't understand the sheer desperation for them to sleep through asap - small babies are not designed to sleep all night and I think parenthood would be less stressful if people simply accepted that.

This is where I like my last HV. She was a very blunt lady who would give you the info in the way you wanted it - which for me was straight. Cot bumpers are a no-no I think because of the risk of smothering if the baby moves about and also in case a bigger child uses them to climb (although I'd expect them to collapse, but what do I know!).

With bedding and clothes I thought one more layer of clothing and one more blanket than you was a fairly standard thing? It's funny, until you start talking to people you think things are common which clearly are not.

It'd be a manual bigger than the phone book for all the possible scenarios!!! :rotfl:
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ClareEmily wrote: »
    Since having my baby I can't believe how judgemental other mothers are about EVERYTHING, dummies, breastfeeding, isn't he walking yet? etc etc etc

All children are different, development at different rates.

If a child finds comfort from a dummy let them be, sure they will kick the habit before they get married.

I wish I could thank this more than once :)

My 2 eldest didn't have dummies, number 3 did, and still has it of a night (he'll be 3 in May). It's not hurting anyone, and it's nobody elses business but his, mine and my husband's.

Why is it of any concern to anyone else?! Don't like it? Don't look.

Better still, get a blinking life!

With regards to pushchairs, I read a comment on this thread about 4 year olds being in a buggy being wrong.

Unless a child is wearing an age badge, how does anyone know how old another child is, unless their parents tells all and sundry?

My son is a big tall lad (his Dad is 6'5), so he could easily pass for the age of 4.

I'd hate to think people think bad of me for having an older child in a buggy, when he isn't that age at all!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With bedding and clothes I thought one more layer of clothing and one more blanket than you was a fairly standard thing? It's funny, until you start talking to people you think things are common which clearly are not.

Considering I have two duvets and a dog on me on a night most evenings and STILL complain I'm cold - I'm no naturally good gauge of temperature! To use the Derbyshire terminology - I'm always nesh.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think dummys are ok if they are just used for bed time/nap times. I hate seeing children with them when they are playing. (just my opinion)
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al1x wrote: »
    I think dummys are ok if they are just used for bed time/nap times. I hate seeing children with them when they are playing. (just my opinion)

Then close your eyes! Simple! ;)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family