PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

beetroot in my veggie box

Options
I had a big bag of beetroot delivered from my organic box scheme yesterday.

I'm not a big fan unless it is pickled in vinegar and then I can eat it out of the jar constantly!!

How do I do pickled beetroot? Boil them in their skins/peel/ put in jars with vinegar?? Do I add anything else ?

And how long do I have to wait before I start munching them? (and having the unfortunate 'pink pee' condition??!!!! :eek: )

Comments

• TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried them roasted? Or does that not appeal? I peel them, cut into segments and roast with a bit of olive oil. Yummy
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And then there's...

- Chocolate beetroot cake
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    oh you are wasting them drowning them in vinegar ;)

I love them boiled and eat them with white sauce poured over

sorry no idea how to pickle them! :)
    x x x
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I had a big bag of beetroot delivered from my organic box scheme yesterday.

I'm not a big fan unless it is pickled in vinegar and then I can eat it out of the jar constantly!!

How do I do pickled beetroot? Boil them in their skins/peel/ put in jars with vinegar?? Do I add anything else ?

And how long do I have to wait before I start munching them? (and having the unfortunate 'pink pee' condition??!!!! :eek: )

That's how I've always pickled them - just boil in the skins, then peel (skins usually slide off) then slice and put into jars and pour over vinegar. You can eat them straight away, but I like to wait a few days to let the vinegar soak in. :D
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • dianasnan
    Options
    I microwaved mine in a little water for about 8 mins, depending on sizeand they cooked really well. Then skinned them and put them still warm into a jam jar and covered with vinegar. don't cut them first as the colour will bleed .
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    And then there's...

- Chocolate beetroot cake

This sounds intriguing, so I'm going to try and adapt this (veganise it!) and see how it comes out. Anything to get veggies into my lot!

Personally I love beetroot and it's yummy roasted. Apparently it's also a good way of checking the length of your digestion. Grate and eat a whole beetroot, then just wait and see! A good digestion is, I believe, 12 hours from start to finish.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    I take it the digestion check is using cooked beetroot. :confused:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Justamum wrote:
    This sounds intriguing, so I'm going to try and adapt this (veganise it!) and see how it comes out. Anything to get veggies into my lot!

Personally I love beetroot and it's yummy roasted. Apparently it's also a good way of checking the length of your digestion. Grate and eat a whole beetroot, then just wait and see! A good digestion is, I believe, 12 hours from start to finish.

I'm not especially keen on beetroot - but it gets well hidden in the cake and it makes a really nice moist and yummy one.

To REALLY hide it - I normally put all the liquids plus the grated beetroot into my kenwood and give it a really good whiz round.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • oakdale_minx
    Options
    definitely going to try the cake recipe :)

Think I will put a Wanted on Freecycle for a couple of jars/bottles, I usually have loads knocking around but I seem to be jar-less at the moment!
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beetroot crisps are delicious, and I presume they are only very thinly sliced beetroot deep fried for a minute or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport