We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Options

Comments

• Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 29 March 2012 at 3:43PM
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Long time no speak.

I fell right behind on my payments to Kensington when I went off sick for 14 weeks and have only just gone back now. Just re-started my plan but had real grief with JD Williams who somehow managed to get my work number (which I dont give to anyone) and bombarded my work (a hospital ward) with calls and actually blocked the lines to such an extent that they were unusable and stopped staff calling for medical help for a patient!

I've complained and got some fluffy reply about 'we didnt mean to cause any upset' which is frankly rubbish and I've emailed telling them I want a proper acknowledgement and questioning why they claimed it was removed on the 24th of February when the email said it wasnt removed until MARCH THE 15TH! I expect another fluffy reply so can I take them to the FOS for this??

That's absolutely disgraceful! I was so angry for you when I read that:mad::mad::mad:
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    They sent my letter back saying I need to make the minimum payment and they will not freeze the interest, and said I had to phone them (I have already had an appointment with my bank manager, which was useless). A few days later I got my CC statement which had charged me £12 for missing a payment and another £12 for going over my limit! Do I forward the letter & statement to Payplan or write to Lloyds myself? I have a Payplan ID number but have not made any payments to them yet.

Hi MM, it seems that when most people start their DMP creditors will charge and many people see their debt go up rather than down but after a month or so things settle down. It's hard to say whether a creditor will stop interest. I started my DMP last September but Halifax are still charging full whack on OH's credit card but other creditors stopped charging very quickly. I suggest you call Payplan and see what they advise regarding the letter and statement. I'm with CCCS and they never seem to want any paper work.

Well done on getting this far though, and try not to worry too much things will improve :)
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    KirstyO wrote: »
    And then I took my car for it's MOT. I ended the day £180 lighter, which was £120 more than i'd bargained for!

Same here, after a huge bill for a new clutch just had to fork out another £120 for new brake pads etc.
    Oh, brilliant (not)
    Got a letter from CCCS today saying that Barclaycard (who had been fine) have no refused the new offer of payment from CCCS. I'd though it was going so well...

Sorry to hear that BR. What is the next step, do you have to up your offer? On the upside it is nearly Easter and that means eggs of the chocolate variety :T
    Plus a long weekend :j
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • BlushingRose
    BlushingRose Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    Options
    Growurown wrote: »

Sorry to hear that BR. What is the next step, do you have to up your offer? On the upside it is nearly Easter and that means eggs of the chocolate variety :T

I don't think so, the CCCS say to to nothing, they'll carry on giving them the money anyway. I think we'll wait and see if Barclays contact us (and if they do, what they say) and then take it from there.

Yep, looking forward the off choccy egg or, hopefully, two!
    Our LBM: Dec 2011. DMP started: Jan 2012. Debt at LBM: £41,568

Oct 2012 = Current debt: £40,548.93
    Oct 2013 = Current debt: £39.054.70

DMP Support number 424 - Long haul number 308
  • Reducemydebt
    Options
    Right, sent out all my letters to my creditors and sent details to CCCS. How long does it normally take CCCS to get everything in place?

Looking forward to my mailbox filling with letters from creditors detailling how they will freeze my interest....:p <fingers crossed>

Finally, here's to hopefully being debt free in 4 years time. :)

There is a small light at the end of a horrible long tunnel.
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Time_to_face_the_music Posts: 5,454 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 30 March 2012 at 12:22PM
    Options
    Hi all I'm new to DMP and a bit worried (even more than usual). We've contacted Payplan (myself and my partner, who owes a lot more than me) and have set up a new bank account with Barclays but have not had OHs wages paid into it yet, so have not started giving money to Payplan. I could not afford the minimum payment on my Lloyds credit card so sent a token payment and asked for the interest to be frozen (used a template letter). They sent my letter back saying I need to make the minimum payment and they will not freeze the interest, and said I had to phone them (I have already had an appointment with my bank manager, which was useless). A few days later I got my CC statement which had charged me £12 for missing a payment and another £12 for going over my limit! Do I forward the letter & statement to Payplan or write to Lloyds myself? I have a Payplan ID number but have not made any payments to them yet.

Hello MadelinesMum :)

We have had a few problems with Lloyds TSB but the credit card issues seemed to settle down quite quickly as soon as they starting receiving payments from CCCS. They have now reduced the interest to about one third of my initial rate, of course I would prefer zero but it's better than it was :p

My overdraft with them is a totally different matter. First of all they increased the limit so they could charge me, now they have had 2 payments so I am back well within my limit but they are still piling on a monthly fee plus full interest :mad: They also promised that they would reduce my overdraft limit each month and they haven't done that yet.

Hopefully once you are up and running with Payplan and they have received some money, they will review your CC and lower the interest.

Good luck on the path to a debt free future :T
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Right, sent out all my letters to my creditors and sent details to CCCS. How long does it normally take CCCS to get everything in place?

Looking forward to my mailbox filling with letters from creditors detailling how they will freeze my interest....:p <fingers crossed>

Finally, here's to hopefully being debt free in 4 years time. :)

There is a small light at the end of a horrible long tunnel.

I loved that feeling when I had sent out all my letters and given everything to CCCS, it felt like a huge weight had been taken from my shoulders :)

I think it took us about a week to be up and running but we did push for a very quick start and made two payments within a couple of weeks of each other which was tough and I am not sure I would recommend it :o

Our estimated debt free date is approximately 4 years from our DMP start too, so look forward to checking back with you how it's going and hopefully celebrating at the end. The light at the end of the tunnel will get brighter each month, I already love looking at how much we have paid off. There is real money being paid instead of paying and then immediately borrowing it back again every month, year in, year out :T
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So by trying to remain loyal I'm clearly just going to end up in more debt.

Two pearls of wisdom to mull over for all on a DMP -
    1) Loyalty counts for nowt. Banks are your friends as long as you keep your head down and don't get into trouble. (Loyalty should also not bind you to insurance companies/ utility providers etc.)
    2) Your credit rating is shot, so don't bust a gut trying to salvage it.

It's all a mindset change. You can and will live without credit, and the relief (and even pride) of living with what you've got is immeasurable.

Hope you get sorted soon.

'Twitty'
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Growurown wrote: »
    Same here, after a huge bill for a new clutch just had to fork out another £120 for new brake pads etc.

On the upside it is nearly Easter and that means eggs of the chocolate variety :T

Aah chocolate!
    Can be good for you and a recent study found people eating it on a regular basis could be slimmer....... :)
    So roll on Easter and those eggs :easter:
    And keeping the car going on a DMP is a constant worry. Don't be afraid to reduce your payments if you need to for a couple of months.
    Having filled up with fuel in the last couple of days, my petrol is now worth more than the car :rotfl:

'Twitty'
  • somewhere_up_there
    Options
    Spent Friday/Saturday,and just finished this morning reading 48 pages.
    Thanks blushing rose. for guiding me to the dmp forum.
    Debts 42000.00
    Final call to payplan.Monday.
    To decide which route to go down, they keep trying to persuade me to go down iva bankruptcy, route.

But i have decided dmp.

Will hopefully update when it is all sorted out.

Sorting out my 28 day letters today,and token payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport