Alternatives to Microsoft Money/Quicken?

Options

Comments

• No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Arrghhh

Is this still going
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fellwalker wrote: »
    Check the moneydance web site for its forums.

I imported 15 years of quicken last year. Investment account transactions got doubled, because you import accounts and investments separately. it took a month or two on and off to remove duplicates.

It is good once sorted and after 6 months I stopped using quicken side by side..

Reporting is quite different. Searching is way quicker. UK huge benefits from downloading stock prices automatically (using an addin).

Thanks, that's really helpful. Is it just investments that duplicate? I essentially only have "bank accounts" in my Quicken 2002 ... so seems I won't have that issue(?)

I had created a bunch of investment accounts, but they wouldn't automatically update because they were UK investments (and I have US Quicken). I ended up eventually zero-ing them and entering the total amount as a fake "bank account" called SIPP and S&S ISA. I'm really not that bothered with Quicken automatically uploading investment updates from online - I track them using my Fidelity online account anyway and just manually update any ups and downs each month. Works for me.

I think I will give MoneyDance a try and like you, just run them side-by-side for a while and see how it goes.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    untill there is a fundamental change in the way people need to manage the mature tools have everything you need.

They don't need support or features they are all there.

That's the main reason they were dropped nothing significant enough to add to get people to upgrade( pay).
  • Misplaced_One
    Options
    Hello Mark,

Thank you for your offer to help. I have installed Quicken 2016 but can't seem to be able to import the QIF files using the UK date format (Quicken seems to be using the UK date format but it would appear that the import is trying to use the US date format). How did you solve this?

Thanks,

Buddy
  • Enbee17
    Enbee17 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I have used Moneydance successfully for some time but recently encountered major problems. Apparently the latest release was a disaster for many - trying to print reports locks up entire system, data gets corrupted etc. In my case I lost hours of work (despite regular backups).

Support have tried to help and finally installed the latest preview (beta) version which seemed to work (except for the printing problem which the programmers still seem unable to sort). However today another problem started, so I think I just have to cut my losses and find an alternative. I'm mac based so wonder if anyone has experience of Banktivity? I managed to import all my Moneydance files into a trial copy, but having had so many problems, I don't want to jump out of frying pan into the fire. Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
  • No_6
    Options
    Back from a long..gggg holiday that MS money gave ME,
    it's free .....use IT

6 :)
  • Enbee17
    Enbee17 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks, but I'm mac based, and can't be bothered to partition drive, buy Windows, Bootcamp etc. I went to Moneydance because it works on macs.
  • No_6
    Options
    How much is a CHEAP laptop to keep MS money on ??
    and only use it for that !
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No_6 wrote: »
    How much is a CHEAP laptop to keep MS money on ??
    and only use it for that !
    Even allowing for your evangelical zeal to promote MS Money at every available opportunity, don't you realise how ridiculous it is to seriously (apparently) suggest buying a PC specifically to run it on!

It reminds me of the old joke:

Q. How many Microsoft salesmen does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. None, they just declare darkness to be the new industry standard....
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use AceMoney, albeit on Windows, and love it. They do also have have a Mac version http://www.mechcad.net/products/acemoney/personal-finance-software-quicken-alternative.shtml
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback