Alternatives to Microsoft Money/Quicken?

Options

Comments

• Fellwalker
    Fellwalker Posts: 92 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 October 2018 at 9:12AM
    Options
    I bought Quicken up until they abandoned the UK in 2015, and until a year ago used the XG legacy version, with increasing frustration as it stopped stock updates and then became more difficult to keep working with Windows 10. I became disenchanted because new Quicken wouldn't support UK taxation, and I would have had to buy or acquire interim versions to be able to convert what I had to run on the latest version.

I am still very happy that I moved completely to MoneyDance. It imported EVERYTHING (since 1997 - 20 years of data) from Quicken, though some transfers between accounts duplicated, and it took 3 months off and on to clear out the duplicates in old accounts. It is flexible enough to cope with current, savings, loans, credit cards, stocks and shares, and ISAs.

A recent add-on gets up to date investment prices from Yahoo or FT, after Yahoo broke the previous one.
    It accepts downloads from my bank and offers automatic reconciliation.

It is still being actively developed by a small team.
  • Deneb
    Deneb Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SevenIron wrote: »
    Hi usernamenobodyhas

I am using the newest and officially registered Quicken in the the UK without any issues, it updates when a new version is released, I pay yearly for the licence so it can be done, it works fine for me, not sure about Bank statement downloads as I don't use that function.

Regards

Mark

Quicken US won't do financial downloads in the UK, but as a manual account register it works fine, as you say.

I am still using Q2016 US and likely to continue with it for the foreseeable future. It is stable and relatively bug free, with no ongoing costs unlike the more recent versions which have gone to a subscription model with continuous licensing, although they will also continue to work fine as a manual ledger if you stop paying the subscription, albeit you won't get any further updates.
  • Keith_F
    Keith_F Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Getting rapidly fed up with AceMoney, it’s not native to Mac OSX and keeps getting buggy.
    Shame because when it works it’s perfect for me.
    But every OSX update causes problems.

Thinking very seriously of switching to Moneydance, reviews seem to suggest its works well on a Mac and it seems simple enough to use.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You know what I am going to say :)

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No_6 wrote: »
    You know what I am going to say :)

Something tediously predictable but utterly irrelevant to Mac users by any chance (such as a rerun of posts #77 to #79 above)?
  • No_6
    Options
    but they could always bye a lap or pc
    then enter data to KNOW what they spend !
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No_6 wrote: »
    but they could always bye a lap or pc
    then enter data to KNOW what they spend !
    Riiiiiiiggghhht, so in a thread specifically seeking alternatives to MS Money, you're just going to continue to blindly promote MS Money, even to the ludicrous extent of advising people on whose equipment it won't run to buy something else? Is there a responsible adult nearby who can stop laughing for long enough to help you?
  • No_6
    Options
    We just keep going …
    don't ... WE

we must get out for a meet ????

• No_6
    Options
    Still waiting ? what part of the UK in ?
    North London for me.
    Would be nice to meet for a chat
    re MS Money

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Look out eskbanker it looks like you're being stalked.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback