Need advice, first time Dad!

Options
Hi all,

I used to post on here and follow it often but over the last few months I haven't managed to.

Anyway... Since I was last on here my girlfriend is :jpregnant!:j I'm very excited!:j As this is my first child I was wandering if anyone out there can advise me of what I need to get like now, is it best to stock up on things or wait til needed. Ive looked all over the internet but am just confusing myself with 'lists'.

Due date is the 29th June 2012, but I want to try and get all the bits and bobs throughout that time rather than one big trip at the end.

Hope that makes sense!

:D
:DMarathon Not A Sprint!:D
:jJuly NSD's - 3/15:j
"Sealed Pot challenge" member No. 1367
:eek:Total Debt - £11,080 (14/06/11):eek:
Target - Debt free and deposit on house - 31/12/12

Comments

• mirrorimage0
    Options
    join all the baby clubs like asda and tescos and pamoers etc to get vouchers for nappies and things.

freecycle is great for picking up baby items too
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • marywooyeah
    marywooyeah Posts: 2,656 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    congrats! I bought my husband a book called "the blokes guide to pregnancy" which he found useful. Joining reward card clubs is a must, and I presume your girlfriend will join the bounty club to get packs of info and coupons etc. If there are any NCT Sales near you they are apparently good for early baby bits, as are boot sales and ebay. Now is probably a good time to pick up baby furniture and buggy etc with the january sales starting.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The experience of my friends who have had babies, is that they rarely have to buy any clothes for the baby for the first couple of years at least, because they have other friends whose children have outgrown their clothes and they're desperate to pass them on to someone!

(Edit, the clothes, not the children!!)
  • basscadette
    Options
    Don't buy too many cute outfits. Everyone will buy them for you as presents and you find that trying to get a three month old into dungarees and fancy shirts just isn't worth the hassle. Sleepsuits all the way!

It's probably best to put money away and buy things when they're on offer throughout the year. It's an awful thing to say but things can go wrong, especially in the early stages, so don;t buy too much until nearer the end.
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From experience, make sure you are aware of the changes and emotions that your partner may be going through immediately after birth. You can get prepared with things for baby, and how wonderful its going to be, but sometimes it can be hard on the mother, tiring and can put strain on your relationship, just make sure you are prepared for baby blues and other changes that may occur, the blokes guide to pregnancy has it listed i think

I found this out the hard way unfortunately
  • Stapler_2
    Options
    Hovel_lady wrote: »

Thanks for the link, I couldn't find a thread like that when I searched. Lots of very useful information there.
  • Stapler_2
    Options
    join all the baby clubs like asda and tescos and pamoers etc to get vouchers for nappies and things.

freecycle is great for picking up baby items too

I've signed up for a few already, theres so many of them.
  • Stapler_2
    Options
    congrats! I bought my husband a book called "the blokes guide to pregnancy" which he found useful. Joining reward card clubs is a must, and I presume your girlfriend will join the bounty club to get packs of info and coupons etc. If there are any NCT Sales near you they are apparently good for early baby bits, as are boot sales and ebay. Now is probably a good time to pick up baby furniture and buggy etc with the january sales starting.

For Christmas I got 2 books, I just need to get round to reading them now. I didn't realise how much I didn't know, the other day we spent 3 hours in one shop talking about prams mostly! Definately need to read the books and speak to other people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts