Earthing needed for my house

Options

Comments

• bengasman
    bengasman Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    Later edit: just a caution that the DNO may expect "compliance" as mentioned above to be demonstrated by a test certificate issued by an approved contractor.
    Utter nonsense. Without an earth provision, you can't get a testcertificate that states your installation is ok.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2012 at 10:48AM
    Options
    bengasman wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. Without an earth provision, you can't get a testcertificate that states your installation is ok.

"Utter nonsense" is very strong wording for my carefully chosen words "compliance as mentioned above".

In case you missed it that related only to the presence and suitability of main equipotential bonding conductors, mainly sizing appropriate to the PME method of earthing.

PME is an excellent earth provison but consumer compliance with the Wiring Regs is essential for it to remain safe in rare circumstances. It remains to be seen how the DNO would respond to non-compliant installation. You also seem to have missed, or failed to understand, the work "caution" in post. That is directed at the OP who may or may not want to take their own steps to ensure the installation goes smoothly.
  • bengasman
    bengasman Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Strong wording, but accurate, as it is IMPOSSIBLE, to get a compliance certificate without an earth provision.
    MEB has nothing to do with earth, or the method of earthing, nor do you apply it to the incoming pipes; it goes on the house side of the isolation valves.
    DNO will no more require compliance, than that the garage will require a mot certificate to sell you new tyres.
    The only thing you've got correct, is that both earth and MEB are crucial to electrical safety.
  • chukwe
    chukwe Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    UK Power Networks Ltd are requesting for a plan showing my meter location in my house for PME.

How do I draw or get plan of the meter location?
  • AddieH
    AddieH Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am interested in this as well as I am in exactly the same area and I seem to also be lacking in an earth.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2012 at 10:40PM
    Options
    The only responsibility a DNO has since 2002 is: -
    1/ Provide an earth terminal for new connections

2/ Maintain existing earthing provision.

In cases where there is no earth (originally on older properties it would have been via the gas/water service, but now that plastic pipes are installed a lot of earths no longer exist) (do NOT confuse this with the present need to bond internal metallic services to the main earth).

Having said that most DNOs may be able to easily provide an earth from their system. (though they can and may charge for this)
    If an earth can be provided, as already stated, a competent electrical contractor will need to deal with the bonding.
    If the DNO cannot provide an earth, consult an electrical contractor as they should be able to fit an independent earth rod system.

As with all things regarding the electricity supply don't confuse the Supplier who you pay for the supply and the meter with the DNO who deliver the electricity to the property and operate the electricity network.

It is probably better to have the bonding complete before the DNO visits, but some will supply an earth and leave it for the electrical contractor to connect.
  • bengasman
    Options
    Ich wrote: »
    It is probably better to have the bonding complete before the DNO visits, but some will supply an earth and leave it for the electrical contractor to connect.
    Why is that? If and when the earth will be installed by the contractor, the bonding will be disconnected in order to measure efli. Whether tns or tncs, the bonding will distort the reading. I'm presuming for the moment it's not a tt.
  • chukwe
    chukwe Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do I draw the meter location that is under the stairs in my house? Is there any software application I can use? Or any existing diagram on the web?
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    chukwe wrote: »
    How do I draw the meter location that is under the stairs in my house? Is there any software application I can use? Or any existing diagram on the web?
    Pencil paper ruler.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Why is that? If and when the earth will be installed by the contractor, the bonding will be disconnected in order to measure efli. Whether tns or tncs, the bonding will distort the reading.

As if it is a TNC-S system it is, stricktly speaking, not permitted by legislation to provide an earth terminal if there is no or inadequate bonding in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure