The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 11

Options

Comments

• crazymum_2
    Options
    Sorry - forgot to say, well done Cleggie, just think how good we'll feel in the morning - Saturday morning as well.... woo hoo :)
  • mackeroo
    Options
    Hi Everyone and a special hello :wave:to all the newbies over the last couple of days who have joined us, great to have you all on board and well done on achieving an AF Friday!

15 AF please Shaggy and can you put me down for 16 for Jan please

Having an Af Fri here too, not too much of a challenge for me as i had loads to drink yesterday and was really wanting to notch up another before we head in to the NY celebrations. Hogmany preparations all underway, we still follow some of the old Scottish traditions in that we send my DH outside house before midnight so he is a 'first footer'. He offers a lump of coal, bread and whisky to the host which is meant to bring warmth, food and good cheer for the year ahead. DH praying that it wont be raining! :rotfl:

My plan for tmro is to pace myself as the celebrations can start pretty much around 2pm:eek:
    It’s not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done everyone who's managed an AF Friday and that includes me!:D

:Tshoppy, good luck for 2012 and do pop by now and again.

Happy Hogmanay mackeroo:)

11 AF for December please Shaggy.
  • evilsquid1603
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    evilsquid, I wondered whether going to the gym for a chunk of evening might work for you too? Perhaps a class or something? I find that if I get in and make straight for the kettle it helps.

I'm using the gym as a way to get me out of the house during the day and all the classes I'm interested in are morning/afternoon ones :(

I'm thinking of going during the day cz the one I'm re-joining has a lounge and free papers with free coffee so i can actually waste a few hours there.
  • beckseven
    Options
    Wow this thread has got really busy! It's lovely to see so many newbies and well done crazymum on having an af Friday night. I automaticallly go for the wine on a Friday night but tonight I'm af as I'm working nights so 10 afds for December please shaggy. 4 short of my target but never mind-feel good in myself because i haven't been drinking heavily-unlike DH! my mil and her husband came round this evening and we had a takeaway and played with the kids and then had a couple of games of cards. DH who has been drinking heavily all Christmas managed to put away a bottle and 3 quarters of wine and started to get all maudlin and stupid just before he went to bed. He was slurring his words and saying he had nothing to look forward to and kept accusing me of moaning ( i was saying nothing!) and saying that he would spend new years eve in a flat he's working on in London on his own..I was like 'yes ok just go to bed!' He was doing my head in with his drunken ramblings! I hope he cuts right back on drinking in the New Year as I feel he is drinking far too much at the moment-he has been constantly heavily drinking since about the 22nd December-and feels dreadful for it too! Happy New Year to all-I am going to have a glass of champers so won't be af.
    HSBC Visa-High interest-£2349.23 Nat West £2605.18
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
    Marks and Spencer card- 3331.30 next 92.67
    Total was 11066.29 now £10,968.15
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done to the Firday-Nighters! :j I managed it too. 23 AFD please. x Target for January 22 AFD. That gives me 2 days at the weekend if I decide to. x
  • crazymum_2
    Options
    Woo hoo :T to the Friday nighters too. I feel like it is a huge milestone for me after probably 3 or 4 years trying to crack the drink. I feel so positive for having joined this group, like I now have something to live up to and people to answer to. I have pledged to myself to stay with you all and not disappear under a whisky drinking rock of shame.

My boyfriend drinks 5 bottles of whisky a week still, so it's hard knowing it's always there. He wants to stop but can't. I'm hoping he'll go to the doctors in the new year and see if there's help out there. For the moment I just have to stay in other rooms from him in the evening which can be tricky.

I have begun reading - massively, in my quest to stop drinking as it gives me something positive to do in the evenings. I am trying to concentrate on books which will help me understand that I need to stop drinking forever. In the past I have drunk between 60 and 100 units a week (not for the last few months when I've massively cut down).

Often I try to tell myself that I could cut down - but I think in all honesty I am one of those people who is 'one drink away from being drunk.' So I need to just stop.

Anyway I'm on a book hunt from those of you who may have gone down the same road. I've read the Allen Carr book - which has given me soooooo much help.
    A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown
    A million little pieces by James Frey - this one grabbed me.

If anyone could recommend any others I'd be very gratefull.

Thankyou, well done and good luck. Today is a new day and there is always time to begin again :)

Apologies for so much ramblings - I'm just a little excited with all this :o
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!
    Well done to the rest of the Friday nighters! I am really pleased to have woken up on a Saturday morning hangover free...for the first time in many years.
    The house is also spotless, as i cleaned it last night instead of drinking.

Crazymum- what kind of books do you like? I love thriller books, so would recommend anything by James Patterson or Tess Gerritsen. I read the Allen Carr book 'The easyway to stop smoking' 16 months ago and havent touched a ciggy since! His books are apparently based on NLP. I have the one for losing weight, and if that works then i will get the one for drinking too!

i am really looking forward to my 1st AF NYE tonight! Have fun, whatever you are doing!
  • May2013
    May2013 Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    Wow a shiny new thread and lot’s of new ‘faces’

A massive welcome to all the newbies :hello:, it’s great to have you with us and even greater to see the positivity that you bring with you….I wish you all loads of luck in achieving your AF goals x

Well I haven’t been AF since Xmas eve but I've been drinking so much less than I would’ve done in previous years, sticking mainly to wine spritzers….I haven’t had a single hangover, felt fresh every morning and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the Christmas break. I won’t be AF tonight but it won’t be a heavy night, just a toast with family to see in the New Year so declaring a total of 15 AFD's for December

I’m aiming for 18 AFD’s in January please shaggy, not sure if you will be running the SNC bearacus but if you do could you put me down for just 2 please :o

So that’s it, 2011 is coming to an end and I look forward to heading into a New Year in which my moods, emotions and motivation isn’t controlled by the contents of a bottle….thank you again to everyone here for your amazing support and encouragement and a huge thank you to shaggy and bearacus xx
    LBM Aug '07 Debt [STRIKE]£52,615[/STRIKE] :eek: DEBT FREE Aug '12 :j
    Cap One CC £[STRIKE]5000[/STRIKE]/£0 - HSBC CC £[STRIKE]7500[/STRIKE]/£0 - HSBC Loan £[STRIKE]12,225[/STRIKE]/£0
    M&S CC £[STRIKE]11,500[/STRIKE]/£0 - Egg CC £[STRIKE]8750[/STRIKE]/£0 - Sains CC £[STRIKE]3000[/STRIKE]/£0
    HMRC £[STRIKE]3140[/STRIKE]/£0 - OD £[STRIKE]1500[/STRIKE]/£0
    Pay off ALL your debt by Xmas 2012 £14,128/£14,128 :j
  • mackeroo
    Options
    happyhog2.png

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy 2012. See you all next year :)
    It’s not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure