The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 11

Options

Comments

• idristhedragon
    Options
    Hello Im crawling back in after a crappy boozy month or so. I have just discovered my 14 year old daughter has been stealing alcohol from us too so I feel like the worst person in the world right now and feel like I have normalised alcohol so much that she felt entitled/compelled to steal and drink (VERY STRONG Bajan) Rum from us.
    I am disgusted, disapointed and so so guilty.
    Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

£117/ £3951.67
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Im crawling back in after a crappy boozy month or so. I have just discovered my 14 year old daughter has been stealing alcohol from us too so I feel like the worst person in the world right now and feel like I have normalised alcohol so much that she felt entitled/compelled to steal and drink (VERY STRONG Bajan) Rum from us.
    I am disgusted, disapointed and so so guilty.

Oh idris, that's really sad but a wonderful motivator. Have one of these while you climb back on the wagon.:grouphug:

I've been dithering about tonight. I'm off to football so that will take a big chunk out of the evening and I really DON'T NEED TO DRINK when I get home. It's just that I always drink on Fridays (cleggie, you're not alone). reading today's posts has made my mind up for me. I'm not wasting an AF day by starting after 10 p.m. I'll be back later to post my success!:D

evilsquid, I wondered whether going to the gym for a chunk of evening might work for you too? Perhaps a class or something? I find that if I get in and make straight for the kettle it helps.
  • crazymum_2
    Options
    idristhedragon - teenagers are such tricky things and one thing I do know is that we all go wrong with them - whether we are totally functional or not so functional parents.

Believe you me in the years to come you will laugh at the worries you now have - everything pales into insignificance.....they usually get themselves into far worse scrapes a little further down the line. All part of life - stay strong.

Hugs :)
  • happyshopper
    happyshopper Posts: 344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 30 December 2011 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Hello

Declaring on 17 AF for December, and 250 days AF for 2011.

My aim was 2/3rds of the year AF for 2011 (243 days). I've beaten my target so I think it's time to see how it goes as a cutter downer without counting so carefully. Please take me off the list for Jan 2012 please Shaggy, and thankyou thankyou thankyou for scoring, it has been invaluable.:T

Hope 2012 brings good things. Good luck everybody.

hs
    ...nothing to see here...
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone feel like dinner time is when they start fancying a nice glass of wine?
    Think i'll have an early night tonight, will be in bed by 9pm i think.
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cleggie wrote: »
    The first thing i thought of was a pampering evening. Face mask,exfoliate and moisturise whole body, facial scrub etc. all of these things i already have in the house, so instead of getting bladdered on the sofa, we could do that?

I thought this too. Start the weekend off nicely. :)
    crazymum wrote: »
    What a lovely idea for a Friday night.... I desperately need something, last Friday evening I went shopping to Tesco to try to avoid drinking ....it was going well until I came home to a drunk boyfriend and got so bored of drunk ramblings I stupidly decided to have a glass of whisky....and off I went.

I was tempted by the alcohol section today too :cool:. The squash section just isn't the same :p.
    cleggie wrote: »
    Thanks bearacus.
    Glad to see that i am not the only one planning an AF NYE!
    I have had a search through my pampering drawer to see what i can dig out for this evening. I have a feeling that i may just watch a movie and then come on MSE for a bit with a cuppa and then have an early night. But i have the pampering things ready just in case.

I also think that in the weeks to come, i may look into mocktails. My teetotal friend had some on her birthday and they were really nice!

Would love to hear some good mocktail recipes! Please share. x

Bells tonight. First time in a while. Not intending to though. Thinking about the morning. So aiming for bit of a pamper and a film with a cup of tea. x
  • cleggie
    Options
    Hi all, how are you doing tonight?
    This is my first AF Friday night in a VERY long time. I am currently sitting down on MSE with a nice cup of tea and will be off to bed shortly. I dont think being AF this evening has bothered me at all because i have been drinking so much over the Christmas period.
    Quite enjoying it really!
  • cleggie
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Drinks/Mocktails/Top.aspx

A link to the Mocktail recipes i have found, if anyone else is interested.
  • crazymum_2
    Options
    Cleggie - mocktail recipes sound wonderful, I shall take a closer look tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
    I am very proud to say that I have acheived an AF Friday night for the first time in 3 years....(gave up drinking for 10 days then) thankyou thankyou thankyou.....to Shaggy for running this amazing thread and everyone else who has contributed to it, I have read so much today and learnt so much.

I am hoping for a lovely AF NYE tomorrow with my younger children, playing games, watching a film and eating rubbish - it will be so much nicer than wearing whisky goggles and feeling dreadful. I will also be able to be on call for older ones out partying.

Off to bed now after a lovely evening of Hollyoaks, Eastenders and my book (never made the pampering session), but hey I have achieved a small step on a Friday night.
  • cleggie
    Options
    WELL DONE CRAZYMUM!! :T
    You have every right to be pleased with yourself. Have a lovely nights sleep, and look forward to waking up tomorrow with no hangover/fuzzy head.
    I cant wait to wake up on a Saturday with no hangover!! for the first time in YEARS!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure