PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am aiming for 100 in April. Today I have decluttered
    1. 6 x books
    2. parcel back to catalogue
    3. another 10 items listed on ebay
    4. 20 magazines into paper recycling

I want to get a single mattress to the tip so I don't have to pay the £30 the council want but only have a Fiesta. It is too badly stained for Freegle or Freecycle. Any ideas on how to fix it to the car?
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,543 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm back in for April. Want to get rid of 100 items at least and have made a start -

1. sold bnib tinted moisturiser on ebay
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK folks I'm in the conservatory ( well technically I am in the office on the PC typing this:p) What I mean is: Today, by default because it has to be cleared due to some work being done tomorrow, I am tackling the dumping ground which masquerades as our conservatory. It is a mammoth task TBH. I have only thrown some old carrier bags so far and put a table and desk lamp on fr88gle - lots of the rest is my "OOOh I can make money from that on Eb*y" pile;). So the dining room has now become Eb*y/CS/Fr88gle central and the recycle boxes and wheelie bin are lined up outside the conservatory door and there is also a box for "this belongs in the shed" for OH to sort who of course ALWAYS takes his stuff to shed when he has finished - well obviously not :mad:

Have found a tin of H*roes bought for Christmas - will declutter those tonight:D

Just having a quick breather and a lurk around the threads before tackling the dreaded bit 'around the corner' which no ones sees but everybody dumps things in:eek:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    I am aiming for 100 in April. Today I have decluttered
    1. 6 x books
    2. parcel back to catalogue
    3. another 10 items listed on ebay
    4. 20 magazines into paper recycling

I want to get a single mattress to the tip so I don't have to pay the £30 the council want but only have a Fiesta. It is too badly stained for Freegle or Freecycle. Any ideas on how to fix it to the car?

Can you roll it up and tie a bit of rope/cord/strong string round it - might get it on the back seat or in boot then - unless you have a roof rack you will be in trouble if the police see you with it flapping around on the roof!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • sarahb
    sarahb Posts: 314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »

If you're not too far from the tip how about a minibus from a local taxi firm? I've never done it myself but I would have thought you could take it in the minibus and ask the driver to wait at the entrance barrier while you chuck it in a skip. Not as cheap as using your own car but cheaper than paying the council to collect.

You can only ask !
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 April 2012 at 4:31PM
    Options
    So excited it's the start of a new month! Here's the start of my 100:

1. Broken drink bottle, lasted son all of 1 trip, bin.
    2. 2 credit cards, expired 2 years ago! Cut up and binned!
    3. Cheap kids walky talkies, rubbish, complete waste of money! bin.
    4. Fleabay parcel sent.
    5. Weeks worth of post sorted and shredded, hello kitchen worktop.
    6. Weird 'tool' that mum and dad passed on, of no use at all. Bin.
    7. Carp knife sharpener, bin.

Then I did a quick sweep of son's room as getting difficult to walk across the floor! Had a tidy and 'lost':

8. A balloon.
    9. A little ball game.
    10. A fabric "darts board" with Velcro darts.
    11. Some happy meal toys.
    12. A broken whoopee cushion.
    13. Some sheriff bits and bobs.

Plus other odds and ends. I did put all his toys that have little pieces all in the same boxes for him just in case the above makes me look really heartless!

I've found a web camera, it has its USB connector but no manual or anything. What do you seasoned ebayers think? Bin it or try and sell it?

Happy chucking everyone.:D
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    OK folks I'm in the conservatory ( well technically I am in the office on the PC typing this:p) What I mean is: Today, by default because it has to be cleared due to some work being done tomorrow, I am tackling the dumping ground which masquerades as our conservatory.

Our conservatory was the first room I cleared, and I love it now. It is South facing so the first bit of nice weather, I am in there. There is a bit of clutter which has crept in, but nothing major. Once you have it sorted bet you won't ever want it to be a mess again.

Edit ... the conservatory is the ONLY room I have cleared :sad:
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Back in again for April and off to a slow start:rotfl:, but am on easter break for the first two weeks (I work with ankle biters!!) so am aiming to work through a room a day:eek:. Today was the turn of the main bathroom, and I can report:
    1. Lots of decanted empty bathroom bottles to recycling
    2. Old and unused action man bathtoys to bin
    There is more that has been sorted but until it leaves the house it does not get counted.

Decluttered in April 2/100
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I can report a fantastic effort from the Pollys household today. I helped DS1 and the stuff he had in his loft room:eek:. Empty shoe boxes, CD's that don't work, too small clothes, paper, empty drinks bottles, cups/glasses/bowls/spoons. Leads from long gone electrical stuff etc,etc.
    DH took it all to the recycling/tip so it is not hanging around. I didn't count it but 2.5 black bags, carrier bag of plastic and a big pile of cardboard.
    Needless to say I also have a huge pile of washing - teenagers!!!!!
    Still got to finish the room off tomorrow, mainly cleaning so that will be one room well and truly decluttered and sparkling.

A good start to the holiday.

Pollys x
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • Chocolatedrinker
    Options
    2 egg boxes to egg lady, up to 11/100
    Declutter 2024 in 2024 /2024 SPC = 13 £45.32 (2023) £64.89 (2022) £95.67 (2021) £305.16 (2020)Loan paid off! Credit card paid off!!! Debt paid off, debt free date 28/12/2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport