PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have got rid of 2 gas stoves, a gas light, a dining table and 4 dining chairs today. Unfortunately, my order from approved foods arrived today and my cupboards are now rammed to the hilt :eek:. At least I had cleared the cupboards last week in preparation for the orders arrival!
    We'll have couscous coming out of our ears by the end of the month! Have already eaten 3 of the items though so it's all good :)
    Kids are now on holiday so no more decluttering for me until they go back. Unless I do it surreptitiously whilst they are asleep!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 March 2012 at 9:41PM
    Options
    110. another pair of tights
    111. an oddly coloured bathmat (dye run victim)

Edit: I've been under the sink :eek:

112. - 117. stained oven gloves, manky tea-cosy, tablecloth & dead teatowels (CS rag bag)
    118. old mop head into bin, new mop head fitted.
    119 - 120. 6 year old "special" tile cleaners. flushed & bottles recycled.
    121. weird fluffy things that fitted onto a (missing) handle to dust odd places. Binned.

Ditched in March 121/100 :T
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello, really amazed by some of the totals!

44. Pair of walking boots, innards eaten by mouse - bin.
    45. DD's old sunhat, unable to shift dirty marks - bin.

I've got my work cut out tomorrow!!
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ditch 100 in March 137/100

135 Kids Slippers (too small) - Friend
    136 Kids Trainers (too small) - Friend
    137 Handbag (too tatty) - Bin

Just a little update from me today, hope everyone has had a good day. Keep up the great work :T
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yaay!
    MIL has taken the 5 eb@y parcels that have been paid for, she is going to post tomorrow and I'll take the remaining one when paid.

100/100
    Hurrah!

Still have a day to go as well!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    March 50/100

1 empty celebrations tub
    1 empty juice bottle
    39 letters.. all way out of date and no longer needed.. fling!!!

Halfway there!!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Gefjun
    Gefjun Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't been following this thread too closely, but have recently found that doing housework with a large plastic box (for putting items in from that room which belong elsewhere in the house so I'm not running round the house like a loon) and a bin bag (for rubbish), a degree of ruthlessness and a large skip outside the house is working a treat!

And now our DIY is coming together and the house is looking like a home, I'm more inclined to declutter. A lot.
    Life is what you make it. Always has been, always will be ;)
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve just realised I’ve not posted for over a week, so haven’t added the stuff I got rid of last week.

We had our cable tv upgraded last Wednesday, the new package worked out about the same price as we’ve been paying, but we have a lot more in the package. Due to this we got rid of 2 cables from behind the tv, an Ethernet cable which connected the old modem and router, because the new modem and router are combined, and I’ve now put our old router in the ebay box. Also tidied the computer desk, did a pile of shredding, and took some more used envelopes in to work.

It was a bit slow going after that, but on Tuesday I sorted the cupboard of doom again, and put a blouse (that hasn’t fitted for years) and 16 zips (taken off old clothes and never used, still got some left) in the CS box, and binned 4 items of random carp and I was like a woman possessed on Wednesday, lol!

The weather was gorgeous (makes a change on my day off), so I decided to tackle one of the sheds. This shed is stacked full of car boot stuff, tools, and all kinds of goodness knows what, lol, (not to mention the spiders and cobwebs!), and has not been tackled since I’ve become more willing to get rid of stuff, so I dread to think what I’ll find in there! I can’t get into it properly at the moment, as we have a bookcase just inside the door, but I managed to get some boxes and bags out to sort through them and got rid of loads of stuff!

I’ve got 2 boxes and a bag to go to CS containing:

4 toys - cash register, R/C car, glove puppet, hovercraft
    Umbrella (forgot I had it and have at least 3 others)
    Vinyl album (don’t even know where it came from, not one of mine, lol!)
    Personal cassette player
    Denim material (which I bought when my DS was little with the intention of making some jeans for him and myself, he’s 30 now so I don’t think I’ll be using it!)
    17 side plates, 12 saucers, 9 cups and 2 bowls, (which are wrapped in newspaper from July 2001 when we moved house!)
    Large heavy blanket
    GCSE grade booster book
    Metal tape measure
    Bissell carpet shampooer
    Goldfish bowl

Old set of bathroom fittings – freecycle
    3 empty paint remover/brush restorer tins – recycle
    Loads of rusty screws and other random metal items – recycle
    Got my excess cleaning products condensed into 1 smaller box, so a huge cardboard box and a smaller box - recycle
    Large dinosaur model, broken – binned
    Old washing up brush – binned
    Cat scratching pad, broken – binned
    Broken lampshade – binned
    At least 20 items of RC (including some hamster bedding and feeding bottle, we’ve not had hamsters for over 20 years!) – binned

Also found the base from my moisture absorber, some hooks for hanging garden tools in the shed, a pack of 2 watering can roses (which I forgot we’d bought), and a bottle of car wash/wax. And, as if that wasn't enough, I also went through a carrier bag containing screws, nails, wall plugs and other random items and sorted them into separate tubs (old ice cream tubs that I had piled in the other shed, I knew they'd come in useful somewhere, lol!), which are now stored neatly on a shelf in the shed!

Ditch 100 in March 158/100!
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 31 March 2012 at 4:12PM
    Options
    Blimey Sue, hope you had a sit down after that lot! I feel inadequate now!

Well ,it started with a 5 minute sweep of the bedroom but now I can't stop!

46. Bra, wouldn't want to be seen in it!:o
    47. Pink eyeshadow, yikes!
    48. Some buttoney things. Don't even know what they're off.
    49. Sports watch, hasn't been used for 10 years.
    50. A plastic thing, must be something of husband's. Has been in my make up box for months so now it's gone.
    51. Old tweezers. Must be around 20 years old. Useless at job, why did I keep them?
    52. veet finishing cream. Never use it.
    53. Wax strips. I use an epilator. Again, why did I keep them?
    54. Bit of spongy stuff in a bag. Again, why?
    55. 2 small toy animals.
    56. Big bag of batteries to sm for recycling.
    57. ds toy car that breaks every time we fix it, can't bear the stress anymore!
    58. Sock creature dd made that has been on kitchen shelf for months. Slightly creepy look on its face.
    59. Cake candle in shape of a 5. Passed on.
    60. Bits for old mobile, checked eBay but doesn't look like they sell. Was going to put in carboot pile but know it'll still be with me in 5 years time. Bin.
    61. Credit card thingy to access car park near where we work. Haven't parked in it for around 4 years.
    62. Baby safe plug protectors. Real pain to get out of socket. Youngest now 7! 4 binned.
    63. Out of date bottle of bach's rescue remedy. Barely touched. Let's face it, when a day's that bad chocolate is the only answer.
    64. Very uncomfortable pair of pants!!!

I think this just goes to prove that I keep useless things just in case. Well watch out stuff, cus next month I'm going for the full 100!

Well done everyone.:D
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April 2012 at 9:19PM
    Options
    Ditch 100 in March 139/100

138 1 x Stick Blender - Posted to friend
    139 Bag of jewellery bits & pieces - Friend (making crowns with kids)

back soon, hope to find more bits today when I tidy the shoe and coat cupboard
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family