Extreme couponing !

Has anyone seen the TV show Extreme couponing ?! I thought it was going to be a joke but watched it last night and couldnt believe it. One woman had a bill of over $1800 and after handing in all her coupons she paid just $43 !! Another got hundreds of dollars of shopping for free! The balance at the till was minus something so she picked up a chocolate bar for the people in the queue behind her just so the supermarket didnt 'win' !
I am ashamed to say I have never used a coupon but this made me want to try. Maybe it works differently in the US though - I can't see us getting £300 of free shopping from Tesco !

Comments

• the days of extreme couponing here in the uk are well gone:o

It used to be that supermarkets would except a moc if they stocked the product, so you didnt have to buy it;)

In the past i have had £70-£80 worth of shopping down to pennies, and i mean pennies...

You can still got some good deals with coupons, but they are few and far between..

I think the coupon bashers have now turned into 'whoopsie chasers'
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    My local Tesco, cottonhead, make it difficult, an inquest everytime, callthe supervisor, call the manager etc.
    Sainsbury and Lidl closer anyway.
  • I wish we could do some extreme couponing. I read an article recently which claimed we Brits are too posh to present coupons, hence there are very few available. I'd love to know where they got the info stating we were too posh, as I know many a person who previously used coupons and still would if they were available.
  • Its so different in USA, The supermarkets are as happy as the couponers on these shows - in the UK you get left feeling like a criminal when trying to use a coupon.
    The other thing they do in USA that I wish we could do here is that when you give stuff to a charity shop the shop gives you a receipt for is value and that is deductable against your tax. I hear Salvation Army are especially accomodating in this respect
  • ive just sat and watched that one your talking about, i wish we could do it here but their is always some big guy wanting to spoil our fun :( oh well, im sticking to shopping online to not over spend and impule buy things i think thats all i can do as im terrible in a shop i will go in for milk and come out with a receipt of £50-£60 each time :(
    now im pregnant i cant carry my shopping so im having it delivered as i bought it online.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • thatguy1
    thatguy1 Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you are going to try using coupons HAVE THE CORRECT COUPONS FOR THE CORRECT PRODUCT!!

had someone try to use a £3 off the dettol no touch handwash system... she only had the refill! didn't look happy when I refused!
  • I watch it too and it amazes me every time.

I keep saying to my other half lets move just so we can start couponing....I would soon become addicted lol

I have no problem at all handing over coupons at the till, like one lady said on the show Dont be ashamed at carrying your coupons around, be ashamed if your not ;)
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I saw the British show the other day and have subscribed to the discount coupon thread, I am going to do my first limited coupon shop tomorrow

Funny thing is I posted about on FB about couponing and the reaction I got was as if I was taking the food from the mouth of babes or animals!!! I think we in the UK have an attitude about it, whether its because some think it's a show of poorness or it's snobbery I don't know.
    All I know is that supermarkets have made me very angry over the last year, to go one week and find that an item is up to 25p dearer than the previous week is appalling, a joint of beef is typical at some weeks £7.00 a kilo then the next £10.00 per kilo, it's not like they pass some of the profit to the staff in pay rises........................oops soapbox moment there LOL
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 December 2011 at 9:16PM
    I've started "couponing" this year, probably around 6 months ago and love it. Had some great, great sucessess thanks to the coupon thread. Must have saved a good few hundred pounds and actually have no stigma at all using coupons, in fact I feel like I'm printing off money every time I print a coupon. They are a form of payment, exactly like £ coins and notes.
    I started off gingerly using a coupon or two at a time and now try and max as much as possible, especially with the PDF coupons - only limit is stock availability and date of expiry.

GO FOR IT.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • djl
    djl Posts: 11,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No sky at home but I have watched program on youtube its great. I have had my share of problems with trouts in T and S also Co Op after buying the products I don't care what they think I can save loads who cares
    2015 wins £4.00 not mse:(
    2014 £44.00:mad:2013 £83.00 2012 £601.50
    2011 £1554.50 2010 £698.00 2009 £2793.00
    2008 £2816.00 2007 £1034.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business