Looking for a new TV

Options
Hi all,

Need some advice from those who know about TVs!

I have up to £350 to spend and would like a TV thats got good picture/sound and is going to last, preferably 37"+.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• jillyjacks
    Options
    saw this one on John Lewis websit but its OOS at the moment... I dont know much about tvs but it looks like a good deal???

http://www.johnlewis.com/231197302/Product.aspx
  • Soldierearth54
    Options
    tpowell wrote: »
    Hi all,

Need some advice from those who know about TVs!

I have up to £350 to spend and would like a TV thats got good picture/sound and is going to last, preferably 37"+.

Any thoughts?

I know it sounds crazy but you should maybe push the boat out and get a 3D TV.

In a year's time the likelihood is that all TV's will be 3D's and you may then feel, in a few years time, you need a new TV again.

Check the Sony Centre website, I'm sure I seen a 3D tv for about £350.
  • bengalknights
    Options
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-6111.aspx

£349 fairly good spec samsung 40inch lcd full hd.
  • tpowell
    Options
    Not sure of differences between LCD, LED and Plasma - anyone got some feedback on which is best? I want it for general TV and DVD watching.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just moved to 51" plasma from 32"LCD for lounge- picture is really sharp with great colours for Sky,DVDs and Freeview SD ,only downside so far is screen is quite reflective so have to switch off Xmas tree lights when watching in the lounge!! You definitely get "more bang for your bucks" with plasma vs equivalent LCD/LED sets and power consumption isn't very much greater now.
    Decided against 3D because a) active glasses are uncomfortable and very expensive and b) its my belief that we are in the same position with 3D standards now as we were all those years ago with video recording (VHS vs Betamax vs V2000)-I suspect things will move on rapidly so that the sets currently being purchased will be obsolete in a few years time!!
  • OK_Sauce
    Options
    tpowell wrote: »
    Not sure of differences between LCD, LED and Plasma - anyone got some feedback on which is best? I want it for general TV and DVD watching.

Pretty comprehensive post here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=47408351&postcount=18

For what it's worth, I have a 46" plasma in the lounge and a smaller LED edge-lit LED in the back room. The plasma blows the LED away big time!
    "...IT'S FRUITY!"
  • AndyD_OHD
    Options
    Are there any comparions on energy ratings anywhere for Plasma vs other telly types?
  • Trillionaire
    Trillionaire Posts: 372 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2011 at 5:41PM
    Options
    I posted the following on another thread but thought I would post it here for you. I'm also going to buy a new tv.

Hi. We're also going to get a new tv. After a little bit of research I thought we might as well stretch a little bit and get a 3D tv as that's the way technology seems to be going.

As for plasma v lcd/led - I watched the info link on Argos site to find out the difference. I had originally thought of getting a 3D plasma tv but have now (after finding out the difference) decided to go for a 40inch lcd/led tv as our living room is not very big (5m x 4m or 15ft for the measurement challenged:rotfl:) and brightly lit. I've read a lot of reviews on Amazon and know which tv we will buy.

The tv will be placed in the corner of our living room by the wall and patio doors. We are near enough south facing so we get a lot of light in the room. Plasma TVs are best for dark rooms.

I would recommend you watch the link on the Argos site before deciding on plasma/lcd/led/size/non 3D.
    :T

I hope you find the above useful.

I've decided on a Samsung 3D tv. If I wasn't getting 3D I would go for the Panasonic. When I first started my tv research Panasonic was the brand I was gonna buy but was won over by Samsung.

After reading a lot of reviews I decided AGAINST buying a Sony tv as, apparently, they're invested all their research in the PS3 (which is losing them money) and their TVs don't seem to be as good as Panasonic or Samsung.

I STRONGLY:D suggest you read the 3, 2 and 1 star reviews on Amazon of any tv that you are interested in to help you make an informed decision.
    :j I hope my comment helps :T
  • jillyjacks
    Options
    can I be cheeky and ask for a link to the telly you decided to buy please? x Im also looking to buy one but am so confused with all the different types available ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure